• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

It's in line with current GPA. Not a great deal but not over priced.

I see gpa...is there room for growth? Is it stable? I always hate buying at the top of the spectrum.

It's hard to say with a 9.8 at the current price....but if you look at the swing that a 9.8 brings...it's a $600 swing from $2,650 and low of $1,928. If you can get it for $2k...it's not a bad price.

I think the book has more upside potential and I also think it may sustain longer than some believe....

The First of 8 Walking Dead #1 Variants this year being given out at Wizard World events. Sorry if it has already been posted but haven't seen it.

I'll probably only make it to Columbus, so hopefully it will be a decent cover, but this looks like a nice start with Michael Golden.

Not a fan of the distracting logo in bottom left corner, but it is what it is...

http://www.wizardworld.com/rokiwade1exv1.html

It's hard to say with a 9.8 at the current price....but if you look at the swing that a 9.8 brings...it's a $600 swing from $2,650 and low of $1,928. If you can get it for $2k...it's not a bad price.

I think the book has more upside potential and I also think it may sustain longer than some believe....

Why does a slabbed WD 1 non-9.8 non-SS seem to be valued about the same no matter the grade (well, above 8.5 anyway) ? I have seen lately slabs of 8.5, 9.0, 9.4, 9.6, and even sometimes a raw copy on ebay go for right around $1000-$1100, swing of only $100 or so. A 9.6 should command a higher price, 9.4 lower, etc., but WD1 does not do that

An SS slab, especially with a sketch, is somewhat unpredictable, anywhere from $100 to $1000 higher. This is for a 9.6.

Edited by woregul

It's impossible to explain it and it is a strange phenomenon.

I've seen a WD1 7.0 slab last week sell for $800. An 8.5 sold for $1,000. My 9.6 averages $1,200. Very strange indeed.

People are willing to spend $800 or more just to get a copy...Raw or slab.

Based on a 7.0 selling for $800...a 9.6 should be selling for well over 2k...9.8s over 3-4k

I can't explain it. Pricing is all over the place but not much sells below $800 for any grade (raw or slab)

I've seen a WD1 7.0 slab last week sell for $800. An 8.5 sold for $1,000. My 9.6 averages $1,200. Very strange indeed.

Based on a 7.0 selling for $800...a 9.6 should be selling for well over 2k...9.8s over 3-4k

I can't explain it. Pricing is all over the place but not much sells below $800 for any grade (raw or slab)

Well, you said it yourself - there are two types of WD #1 buyers: the ones that want a 9.6 or a 9.8 and are willing to pay the premium, and the ones that just want a copy and aren't really concerned with the grade. That's why there's not much of a price difference amongst the lower grades.

There are a bunch of copper books that display the same characteristic ...

The covers I like most for TWD do not emphasize the zombie aspect. Number nine though is my all time favorite cover I also like 2 and 3 and just simple character covers.

+1 Gotta agree with you on this one. The cover to #9 is my favorite of all TWD covers so far. I haven't made it a priority to own one, so I'm still on the hunt for a raw NM/M (or a CGC 9.8) at a fair price .

Well, you said it yourself - there are two types of WD #1 buyers: the ones that want a 9.6 or a 9.8 and are willing to pay the premium, and the ones that just want a copy and aren't really concerned with the grade. That's why there's not much of a price difference amongst the lower grades.

True but I don't understand someone paying $800 for a 7.0 CGC slab and then someone paying $1,100 for a 9.6. The price difference is odd.

I agree, but I'm betting a large population of Walking Dead fans aren't comic fans and don't even know what CGC is, or really understand the condition factor :Shrug:

True but I don't understand someone paying $800 for a 7.0 CGC slab and then someone paying $1,100 for a 9.6. The price difference is odd.

Edited by LloydJBailey

I would take a 9.6 for 1100 right now

I agree, but I'm betting a large population of Walking Dead fans aren't comic fans and don't even know what CGC is, or really understand the condition factor :Shrug:

I don't see a Walking Dead fan (eg. a fan of the TV show, but not necessarily into the comic book) spend $1k on a comic book - it just doesn't happen.

Disagree. When you start doing research and think about spending more than 1,500 on a comic, CGC is one of the first things that comes up. At least is was that way for me.

Not everyone does their research. Hard as it is to understand some buyers just look at the book and buy it. Some of them also can't see any difference between a 8.5 and a 9.6. I see the same thing with other copper/modern books like ASM 300 and Wolverine 1. Even BA books like ASM 129, Hulk 181 sell faster in low to mid grade than high grade copies.