• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

I just can't wait for tax return time... Need to replace my TWD 1.... I bought a 9.6 earlier this year... Sent it to get professionally pressed. Came back 9.4 then sent it back for re-review. Stuck with 9.4. Probably one of the single most disappointing things to happen to my collection. I have learned a lesson and will most likely NEVER press anything again.

Let this be a lesson to all you who hope to turn a 9.6 to a 9.8. Don't be greedy like I was. :preach:

I had a similar experience, Colicab. I had a key issue that. I bought graded 9.4. The only thing I saw wrong was a little color rip, and I thought a press could lift it out a little and maybe get. A bump in grade. I sent it out to get pressed and get regraded and it cam back a 9.0!

I contact the presses and he was all WTF, too, so I sent it to him again. He had it grade on site and it came back a 9.0 again. He asked the grader WTF and basically that grader and a grind to as with color rubs.

I sat on it for a few months and decided to bust it out of its clam and send it in with a 9.8 prescreen. I looked at it and thought, "this is the most beautiful 9.0 I have ever seen. It came back a 9.8

MY lesson is that graders are fickle and grades are not consistent between different graders. If you are confident on its grade, send it in again.

Thanks for the advice... I have been toiling with this thought process. I was thinking I might crack and re-sub next year.

I just pulled it out of the box and I swear up and down this thing is a 9.8. Shoot I have seen 9.8's with tons of damage compared to this book that looks immaculate.

I was thinking I might crack and re-sub next year.

I just pulled it out of the box and I swear up and down this thing is a 9.8. Shoot I have seen 9.8's with tons of damage compared to this book that looks immaculate.

Before you decide on this, definitely get grader notes. The damage may not be on the outside. Funny thing is my TWD #100 HI graded 9.2 and I was wondering why because the book looks great to me, so I paid for the graders' notes:

Left Top Front Cover Lite Multiple Printer’s Crease

Top Front Cover Lite Multiple Printer’s Crease

Right Top Front Cover Lite Multiple Printer’s Crease

I have held the book up to the light at various angles, even a blacklight since it's a white cover, and I just don't see any of these creases that the grader notes describe. The sketch cover looks immaculate, so I'm thinking maybe the notes referer to the actual cover underneath the blank sketch paper. :shrug:

Before you decide on this, definitely get grader notes. The damage may not be on the outside. Funny thing is my TWD #100 HI graded 9.2 and I was wondering why because the book looks great to me, so I paid for the graders' notes:

I have held the book up to the light at various angles, even a blacklight since it's a white cover, and I just don't see any of these creases that the grader notes describe. The sketch cover looks immaculate, so I'm thinking maybe the notes referer to the actual cover underneath the blank sketch paper. :shrug:

I will make sure to buy the graders notes now that it is a 9.4.

These were the grader notes before the 9.6 was pressed and re-subbed.

Spine Lite Stress Lines

Right Center Front Cover Finger Bends

Bottom Front Cover Finger Bends

I have yet to discover the definition of Finger Bends.

Sounds like something that would happen to a scuba diver resurfacing to fast. (shrug)

I will make sure to buy the graders notes now that it is a 9.4.

These were the grader notes before the 9.6 was pressed and re-subbed.

Spine Lite Stress Lines

Right Center Front Cover Finger Bends

Bottom Front Cover Finger Bends

I have yet to discover the definition of Finger Bends.

Sounds like something that would happen to a scuba diver resurfacing to fast. (shrug)

Finger bends are those little half moon shapes on the middle of the covers that come from holding the comic while you read.

1425597_10202520155272276_118056091_n.jpg

Saw this today when I went around looking for comic book stores in Athens :P

Also you guys were talking about grading the perfect example of a grader on crack is my HI cover! got a 9.8 which I'm obviously not complaining about but I don't think it should have personally

981485_10201910005938924_1771593807_o.jpg

That's cool. I wish I had looked for WD trades when I was in Rome.

Also you guys were talking about grading the perfect example of a grader on crack is my HI cover! got a 9.8 which I'm obviously not complaining about but I don't think it should have personally

Some people will say they don't, but it seems clear that some graders grade on a curve, depending on the book.

I just can't wait for tax return time... Need to replace my TWD 1.... I bought a 9.6 earlier this year... Sent it to get professionally pressed. Came back 9.4 then sent it back for re-review. Stuck with 9.4. Probably one of the single most disappointing things to happen to my collection. I have learned a lesson and will most likely NEVER press anything again.

Let this be a lesson to all you who hope to turn a 9.6 to a 9.8. Don't be greedy like I was. :preach:

I had a similar experience, Colicab. I had a key issue that. I bought graded 9.4. The only thing I saw wrong was a little color rip, and I thought a press could lift it out a little and maybe get. A bump in grade. I sent it out to get pressed and get regraded and it cam back a 9.0!

I contact the presses and he was all WTF, too, so I sent it to him again. He had it grade on site and it came back a 9.0 again. He asked the grader WTF and basically that grader and a grind to as with color rubs.

I sat on it for a few months and decided to bust it out of its clam and send it in with a 9.8 prescreen. I looked at it and thought, "this is the most beautiful 9.0 I have ever seen. It came back a 9.8

MY lesson is that graders are fickle and grades are not consistent between different graders. If you are confident on its grade, send it in again.

Thanks for the advice... I have been toiling with this thought process. I was thinking I might crack and re-sub next year.

No problem. And sorry if some parts came out wrong. I was typing quickly on my tablet before rushing to a meeting. lol

That's cool. I wish I had looked for WD trades when I was in Rome.

Some people will say they don't, but it seems clear that some graders grade on a curve, depending on the book.

+1