• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,452 posts in this topic

Oh, and I need to make sure my 10,000th post is in this thread,

WD has been good to me over the years, and I've been reading/collecting the series since issue 9 or so :)

Congrats! I beat you and I joined 5 years later. I guess I need to get off these boards and live life a little more. lol

WD has been good to me over the years, and I've been reading/collecting the series since issue 9 or so :)

Congrats! I beat you and I joined 5 years later. I guess I need to get off these boards and live life a little more. lol

Yea loser... :baiting: just kidding :foryou: Nice posting ash! :applause:

Yea loser... :baiting: just kidding :foryou:

:acclaim:

lol

It's not that zombies are believable and tigers are not, it's more about what fits into the tone of the book. For example, aliens are just as believable as zombies, but the mock ending in issue 75 (where everyone wakes up on an alien world) just doesn't fit in with tone set for the rest of the story. I can see how people could feel like that about Shiva.

Exactly. TWD is supposed to be about how real people would react to a zombie apocolypse. I think Kirkman had a pretty solid idea about the first 50 issues or so and then he has meandered. It has gone from a story about character development to a story about big events. I criticize TWD a lot because I feel like it used to be awesome and now it is falling flat. Shiva and that whole "Kingdom" was ridiculous and contrived. It seems like lazy writing to me and I wish he wouldn't try to keep this series ongoing. It lacks focus. I know a lot of you love TWD still but it just doesn't hold the same place in my heart that it once did.

here we go with the "lazy writing" again.

No one is forcing anyone to keep reading. The series is not going to end anytime soon. Accept that, or move on.

You guys are obviously not pet lovers. None of you guys were upset about my namesake dying either.

you guys are cold.

No one is forcing anyone to keep reading. The series is not going to end anytime soon. Accept that, or move on.

You guys are obviously not pet lovers. None of you guys were upset about my namesake dying either.

you guys are cold.

Yeah I don't understand the 'lazy writing' thing either. I can understand if someone doesn't enjoy the direction the book took post-prison. But I don't think that means Kirkman got lazy. I think he's trying just as hard now as he ever has.

Furthermore, what does 'hard working' writing look like?

you guys are cold.

Yea! :sumo:

I got one for you even better. I was reading Revival. To me the story wasn't good, it had me for about 6 issues, then I decided that I didn't like it so I stopped reading it. I never once went into the revival thread and said the story sucked, it's just because I'm not that kinda critic. If I don't like something I stop associating myself with that thing.

As far as the tiger is concerned, I think it's awesome. I was always wondering where all the animals went. Like we never saw any cats or dogs. :) I am a huge animal lover, I love animals sometimes more than people. My wife is actually going to school to be a zoologist, it's not about the money it's about the animals. I have 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 snake at my house. When we get a bigger house we want at least 6 dogs. ;)

I don't think he is saying it sucks, just that he doesn't enjoy it as much as he used too. I can see that point of view. To me, it feels like they have been in the village for a long time. They haven't been on the road for a while. When they are on the road, the main threat seems to be zombies, whereas when they are domiciled, the threats are other humans, which makes sense in a post apocalyptic environment. I kind of agree that having a pet tiger seems a bit fantastic.

As far as character development - Carl has changed a lot over the past 20 issues or so. So has Rick's relationship with Andrea.

It's not that zombies are believable and tigers are not, it's more about what fits into the tone of the book. For example, aliens are just as believable as zombies, but the mock ending in issue 75 (where everyone wakes up on an alien world) just doesn't fit in with tone set for the rest of the story. I can see how people could feel like that about Shiva.

Exactly. TWD is supposed to be about how real people would react to a zombie apocolypse. I think Kirkman had a pretty solid idea about the first 50 issues or so and then he has meandered. It has gone from a story about character development to a story about big events. I criticize TWD a lot because I feel like it used to be awesome and now it is falling flat. Shiva and that whole "Kingdom" was ridiculous and contrived. It seems like lazy writing to me and I wish he wouldn't try to keep this series ongoing. It lacks focus. I know a lot of you love TWD still but it just doesn't hold the same place in my heart that it once did.

There are certainly parts of it that still shine. It has its moments.

The first half and beyond including the introduction of Abraham and then the Hunters arc is certainly what I have enjoyed the most. There were a lot of parallels that could be drawn between it and other popular post apocalyptic stories which it fittingly reinvented/rejuvinated with characters that then felt a lot richer in depth.

I think some of the newer entrants like Jesus just don't have any grounded attachment to the group. No family ties or fully developed relationships have surfaced for him. There isn't a strong motivation backing up his actions which we can use to read between the lines and expand on the content for ourselves. More back story required IMHO. The deaths of the early characters and families have weighed heavy on TWD as a whole (even though they provided some truly brilliant moments) because the flesh of the series is being picked away and hasn't had a chance to properly heal.

I don't know what letting go of any of the main survivors now would achieve.

The other thing about Jesus is that he seems infallible. He can do anything, fight anything, beat anyone. Because of this, I feel he might die in the current arc. If not, then we need to know why he is so BA. Maybe he was in special forces? Who knows. Or maybe this was explained an I missed it somewhere.

This is true about Jesus. Does he have some underlining darkness, lurking? There's a lot of things I would include in this story, as I think about it constantly. I take the book at face value and enjoy every moment, even when it is slow paced.

I just hope that we are not let down as a whole when Kirkman decides to end it.

I did read once that Kirkman has more in store for us, as far as different characters out of the ordinary. Crazy people, situations, etc. as he sees in his mind as what humans turn into.

Remember RK was saying he feels that this may happen, people believing their gods and kings and such. People are crazy we all know this, we see it on the news everyday. I think him bringing a tiger into the equation isn't so far fetched. He kept him in the story for about 11 issues, then got rid of him. That seems fair to me.