• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been posted but this one is limited to one. Pricey but for a good cause. Although, I'm not even sure what Adlard's work is going for these days?

Look here...

That one will probably go for $3K.

The HI sketch covers are the only truly limited variants out there.

There is overprint for every limited variant made and those extras do sometimes make it into the market instead of being destroyed.

I would love for it to close at $910 in my favor... lol

But I can see it hitting 3k

The more people hear about this, the more people bidding...

Do you think everyone who wins will actually pay?

Do you think some will go to re-auction at the end of all this?

In my experience Hero will offer the book to the next highest bidder in the case of a no pay. The fact that they are a tax write off always pushes the initial bids higher. If/When they do come back up for sale from the winning bidders they almost always go lower. I can say I do hope the winners are opting for CGC grading. As far as resale goes it's a no brainer, although I'm one of those collectors that operates on the "once it goes into my collection, it never comes out!" At least until my kids are ready for college :frustrated:

Ya, I feel the same way, I wanted to get a couple to re-sell, but I've never re-sold anyting... lol

They just stay in their boxes....

So you can write these off in your taxes?

Also, what do you mean they go for lower once they are put up for sale?

p.s. What kind of bike do you ride Troy?

I got a 03 Road King on 21/18" rims, True duels, bout to put the 95 kit in it and give it gear2gear...

So does HI give some sort of written statement with these about what their fair market value is? If not when it comes to being a "tax write-off" just hope you don't get audited.

<<

In addition, donors who provide goods for charities to sell at an auction often ask the charity if the donor is entitled to claim a fair market value charitable deduction for a contribution of appreciated property to the charity that will later be sold. Under these circumstances, the law limits a donor's charitable deduction to the donor's tax basis in the contributed property and does not permit the donor to claim a fair market value charitable deduction for the contribution. Specifically, the Treasury Regulations under section 170 provide that if a donor contributes tangible personal property to a charity that is put to an unrelated use, the donor's contribution is limited to the donor's tax basis in the contributed property. The term unrelated use means a use that is unrelated to the charity's exempt purposes or function, or, in the case of a governmental unit, a use of the contributed property for other than exclusively public purposes. The sale of an item is considered unrelated, even if the sale raises money for the charity to use in its programs.>>>

Maybe put a little simpler - the amount that you are able to deduct is reduced by the value of anything that you receive in return.

For example, if you donate $100 to NPR, but they give you a CD as thanks, and that CD has a value of $10, then you should only deduct $90 on your taxes.

I think determining the market value of these HI covers will be tricky if you are trying to include them as a charitable deduction in your taxes. You would have to prove the item is worth more than you bid. But since the ending price is determined by the active bidding of market participants, then how can you argue the item is worth more than the ending bid? If it was worth more, wouldn't it have ended for more? You could argue that the comic would have ended higher if the auction were to be extended, but good luck with getting an IRS auditor to agree with that.

If you do not itemize your deductions, then don't bother researching it any further. If you do itemize, consult a competent tax preparer.

DONT deduct it and hope you don't get audited. 2c

Sorry if this has been posted but this one is limited to one. Pricey but for a good cause. Although, I'm not even sure what Adlard's work is going for these days?

Look here...

There is overprint for every limited variant made and those extras do sometimes make it into the market instead of being destroyed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for more. The Keown cover went for $3,050.

In my experience Hero will offer the book to the next highest bidder in the case of a no pay. The fact that they are a tax write off always pushes the initial bids higher. If/When they do come back up for sale from the winning bidders they almost always go lower. I can say I do hope the winners are opting for CGC grading. As far as resale goes it's a no brainer, although I'm one of those collectors that operates on the "once it goes into my collection, it never comes out!" At least until my kids are ready for college :frustrated:

Ya, I feel the same way, I wanted to get a couple to re-sell, but I've never re-sold anyting... lol

I got a 03 Road King on 21/18" rims, True duels, bout to put the 95 kit in it and give it gear2gear...

So does HI give some sort of written statement with these about what their fair market value is? If not when it comes to being a "tax write-off" just hope you don't get audited.

<<

In addition, donors who provide goods for charities to sell at an auction often ask the charity if the donor is entitled to claim a fair market value charitable deduction for a contribution of appreciated property to the charity that will later be sold. Under these circumstances, the law limits a donor's charitable deduction to the donor's tax basis in the contributed property and does not permit the donor to claim a fair market value charitable deduction for the contribution. Specifically, the Treasury Regulations under section 170 provide that if a donor contributes tangible personal property to a charity that is put to an unrelated use, the donor's contribution is limited to the donor's tax basis in the contributed property. The term unrelated use means a use that is unrelated to the charity's exempt purposes or function, or, in the case of a governmental unit, a use of the contributed property for other than exclusively public purposes. The sale of an item is considered unrelated, even if the sale raises money for the charity to use in its programs.>>>

Maybe put a little simpler - the amount that you are able to deduct is reduced by the value of anything that you receive in return.

For example, if you donate $100 to NPR, but they give you a CD as thanks, and that CD has a value of $10, then you should only deduct $90 on your taxes.

I think determining the market value of these HI covers will be tricky if you are trying to include them as a charitable deduction in your taxes. You would have to prove the item is worth more than you bid. But since the ending price is determined by the active bidding of market participants, then how can you argue the item is worth more than the ending bid? If it was worth more, wouldn't it have ended for more? You could argue that the comic would have ended higher if the auction were to be extended, but good luck with getting an IRS auditor to agree with that.

If you do not itemize your deductions, then don't bother researching it any further. If you do itemize, consult a competent tax preparer.

DONT deduct it and hope you don't get audited. 2c

Yup. This is where if HI does assign some sort of value to the sketch which is less than the amount the auction ended at then maybe you have a legit claim, otherwise if you are audited you will lose your argument in that the book was worth less than what it went for in an auction everytime.

Starting the think my Lashley at $910 was a deal doh!

So you got the Lashley :frustrated:

I bid on it but got outbid last second :(

Although it did result in me getting the one that I wanted even more... the Tony Parker even if I did pay $350 more for it :P

Look here...

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for more. The Keown cover went for $3,050.

Obviously, I was late to the party lol and that Keown cover is sick. Congrats on the Lashley as that one is sweet as well.

Look here...

It'll go for far, far more than it's worth because it's Adlard.

The resident WD artist couldn't come up with something better for the Hero Initiative :doh:

I actually like it. The lines and colors are very clean and precise. Maybe not to the standards of Toth or Cooke, but still very clean.

However, Rick does seem to be fighting a naked zombie...so that's a first, right?

Starting the think my Lashley at $910 was a deal doh!

So you got the Lashley :frustrated:

I bid on it but got outbid last second :(

Although it did result in me getting the one that I wanted even more... the Tony Parker even if I did pay $350 more for it :P

:blush:

Actually it's kinda funny, I bid $750, that was out bid and I clicked that "one click bid button" and BAM $910 and I'm the winner. I really had no intention of going higher than $750. Was kinda bummed at the time, but overall I'm feeling pretty lucky!

I went a round with my tax advisor on these since I am the resident hero Initiative crack addict. I agree with everything that has been said re: the charitable contribution nature of these. The fact that I don't resell mine, and I don't ever claim the full amount I should be okay, I feel the problem would come if you do claim these on your taxes and then resell them, even at a loss, you may be putting yourself in harms' way. The fact that they are one of a kind and a "market value" is almost impossible, plus the fact that the covers and time for the artwork donated by the artist(s) themselves were donated, they have no actual value vs. say a automobile/gift basket. Definitely a grey area.

Read the current issue, I thought it was great. Really interested in seeing what happens next.

I wonder how different the story would have been

if Rick didn't hesitate and waste his time talking before the sniper shot the gun out of his hand.

Read the current issue, I thought it was great. Really interested in seeing what happens next.

if Rick didn't hesitate and waste his time talking before the sniper shot the gun out of his hand.

Shoulda just had Andrea snipe Negan, but no....Rick needed the last word. insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Looks like a Mexican standoff.

Shoulda just had Andrea snipe Negan, but no....Rick needed the last word. insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Looks like a Mexican standoff.

Gosh Darn It!!! I'M SO MAD AT RICK RIGHT NOW.......

Rick doesn't think sometimes. I wish he wouldn't had let his emotions lead the way.

P.S. The splash pages are really awesome in this issue!!!!!

Edited by retrothecollector

A lot of the Walking Dead #100 Hero Initiative Covers were very nice!

So nice I wish Kirkman would hand over the reins of the art and covers to one of those artists. :whistle:

Shameless plug here, but I just bought another Walking Dead #1 so I am going so I am selling my other Walking Dead #1 copy which is a CGC 9.8 "black Label."

I would rather sell it to a boardie than on eBay so anyone is interested please send me a PM and I will send you over the scans. (thumbs u

Hey SOT, why did you buy another WD #1 if you already had a CGC 9.8 black label?

+1

Why not?

I always buy them at the right price.

Called hedging. (shrug)