• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

Nexus,

I won't go into what art Robert owns, but I think that you might have been tricked by his dry sense of humor.

Robert collects certain types of pieces and while he thankfully doesn't pickup the majority of originals, he does have a collection that any of us would be envious of.

I can't speak to what Tony still has, but I too have heard the rumors about him still having the #1 cover.

Sigh, why do the Lions disappoint so.... I was counting on them to help my Cowboys... They started off so promising. At least the snowbowl has been fun to watch.

Mark Hay

Splash Page Comic Art

Hey Mark,

All I can tell you is that Kirkman took a look at my Compendium cover and told me he wished he had bought it. He said that he didn't entertain the thought of owning the art early on, as he had other priorities. That makes sense.

Anyhow, the Compendium came out after issue #48. Based on what he said, I surmised that he didn't have much art before #48. As Claudio points out, he has at least one early cover. But how much pre-48 art does he own? Again, I doubt he owns a lot of it, unless he's been privately buying up pieces the last couple of years. And even then, I wonder how much, as most of the nice early pieces that hit the market seem to be gobbled up by either James J or the Nowell Bros.

I have no doubt that he owns his fair share of post-48 art.

I'll admit that this is mostly conjecture on my part. But I know what he told me and it didn't seem like he was joking.

Regardless, congrats to you on the WD bonanza!

Fdelix

Robert owns plenty of art! If you've ever wondered why you haven't seen a piece or a cover, it is likely with him!

The Moore family still owns the cover to #1 and a few other covers. They have no interest in selling the cover to #1, as someone stated earlier, they have been offered great amounts but nothing that was Saudi Prince type money...

Maybe not #1, but I wouldn't count out James J for one of the other covers...

For #1, I know the Moores have been offered far more than what any modern cover has sold for. That took a lot of discipline not to sell...kudos to them for that. Whether it was foresight or just luck, it was a great decision to hold. As it's turned out, WD #1 may be THE cover for the modern era.

What would be a fair price for issue 1 cover?

100,000 to 125,000 ? I dont know what they were offered. But Seems if you dont know Tony on a level other than email to his art site you have 0% chance on buying a pg.from him.I understand people will say he has a rite to sell if he wants or not.I agree with Its his art. But most of the people that jump on me when I say nagative things about the system are people that have made direct purches from him.So the only way someone like me will be getting something direct from Tony is if I make contact with somebody he trust or knows. I have never been to a comic show so the odds of me meeting him a zero.

But this is one of those IMO.

About to head to bed, but before i do...:

Based on what I know, I don't think there's any amount of money that Tony would sell it for to be honest. He was offered a lot before the show was announced, and has been offered more since. Never say never, but just my two cents.

If it were a straight auction, just north of 100K is tops what I'd think this would net. The pool of TWD buyers at the high end is small. James, the Nowell Brothers and three to five random high-end buyers get into a bidding war, and it ends at 102,000.

I think the Watchmen #1 cover is a good gauge, no? Not saying TWD is better than Watchmen, but in terms of a cover that defines an era of comics, I think it's a nice metric of comparison.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/watchmen-cover-price/

What would be a fair price for issue 1 cover?

100,000 to 125,000 ? I dont know what they were offered. But Seems if you dont know Tony on a level other than email to his art site you have 0% chance on buying a pg.from him.I understand people will say he has a rite to sell if he wants or not.I agree with Its his art. But most of the people that jump on me when I say nagative things about the system are people that have made direct purches from him.So the only way someone like me will be getting something direct from Tony is if I make contact with somebody he trust or knows. I have never been to a comic show so the odds of me meeting him a zero.

But this is one of those IMO.

Prices are high anyway if you can get a hold of him. You're better off making offers on the secondary market, IMO.

I think the #1 cover could probably get close to your estimate on the open market, but it doesn't matter because you'd probably have to offer 2-3x that to get them to consider it.

I know lots of you will think I'm crazy, but I think Charlie's 100 cover is the most iconic from the entire series and I'd rather have that than #1. Such a powerful image to me.

Seems like that now - but by the time this book gets to the end of its run, you might feel different. It might look less significant in the grand scheme of things, once they've done the special anniversary cover for issue #150, issue #200, the 20 year anniversary, whatever... whereas the cachet of #1 won't decrease as the title goes on.

About to head to bed, but before i do...:

Based on what I know, I don't think there's any amount of money that Tony would sell it for to be honest. He was offered a lot before the show was announced, and has been offered more since. Never say never, but just my two cents.

If it were a straight auction, just north of 100K is tops what I'd think this would net. The pool of TWD buyers at the high end is small. James, the Nowell Brothers and three to five random high-end buyers get into a bidding war, and it ends at 102,000.

I think the Watchmen #1 cover is a good gauge, no? Not saying TWD is better than Watchmen, but in terms of a cover that defines an era of comics, I think it's a nice metric of comparison.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/watchmen-cover-price/

There are no relevant comps at this level. We can debate WD's importance to this era vs. WATCHMEN's to Copper, but that has no bearing on values for the #1 covers. All that matters is what someone is willing to pay. Or what two people are willing to pay in an auction format.

Check out the "Biggest OA prices" chart from the OA section:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=204436&Number=7240501#Post7240501

Specifically the covers:

Comic Line Art Covers ($100K+):

$657,250 (2012): Amazing Spider-Man #328 (Todd McFarlane)

$478,000 (2013): Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #2 (Frank Miller)

$380,000 (2010): Weird Science-Fantasy #29 (Frank Frazetta)

$358,500 (2012): Spider-Man #1 (Todd McFarlane)

$286,800 (2013): Amazing Spider-Man #121 (John Romita Sr.)

$239,000 (2011): Detective Comics #67 (Jerry Robinson)

$200,000 (2008): Weird Fantasy #16 (Wally Wood)

$195,500 (2005): Batman #11 (Fred Ray, Jerry Robinson)

$167,300 (2011): Amazing Spider-Man #49 (John Romita Sr)

$167,300 (2012): Flash #137 (Carmine Infantino/Murphy Anderson)

$155,350 (2013): Watchmen #1 (Dave Gibbons)

$154,255 (2011): The Smurfs and the Magic Flute (1960 - 124,099€)

$143,400 (2012): Amazing Spider-Man #317 (Todd McFarlane)

$125,000 (2011?): Amazing Spider-Man #300 (Todd McFarlane)

$119,500 (2011): Adventure Comics #73 (Jack Kirby/Joe Simon)

$104,562 (2012): Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3 (John Romita Sr)

$101,700 (2006): Amazing Spider-Man #43 (John Romita Sr)

$101,575 (2010): Daredevil #188 (Frank Miller)

$101,575 (2007): Mr. Natural #1 (Robert Crumb)

$101,575 (2011): Action Comics #46 (Fred Ray)

$100,625 (2002): Famous Funnies #213 (Frank Frazetta)

There's really no rhyme or reason, other than they're all pretty covers that are coveted by collectors. I'd argue that WD #1 is more important that some of these pieces, but unless one (or two) BSDs want it, it won't crack that list.

Honestly.. Looking at some of those prices. I would not be surprised if Tony did sell OA for #1 cover, he would be able to get 1mil. Call me :insane:

Exactly. $100k now seems crazy compared to those prices. If I were Tony I wouldn't sell either. Not for $100k. It's his retirement money. That piece better be sitting in a vault.

I still can't believe the Watchmen cover went for 150K. That book created and defined an era. Maybe it's because there are no major characters on the cover, or the huge stat?

It's only hard to believe as an outside observer. Again, we can all speculate about what something like WD #1 would sell for...but the BSDs who are the buyers at that level are the ones who will decide. Can't say down the line, but I will say that there is no chance it will get anywhere near $1M today.

If you talk to long-time collectors, most will tell you that they're surprised the WATCHMEN covers sold so HIGH. These covers have not been held in high regard-- traditionally, WM fans have preferred nice pages. These covers were floated (as a set) to BSDs for years for much less than what they auctioned for now, and there was minimal interest. Personally, I like the covers when displayed as a group, and I agree that the #1 cover is key. But the reality is that during the auction, there were three bidders at $80K, and then two guys took it to the finish. The pool is not that deep when we're talking these types of numbers.

Having said all that, I think the WATCHMEN #1 cover is a decent "value", relative to some of the other high-dollar entries on that list.