• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undisclosed Restoration from Dealer (Metro)

151 posts in this topic

what happened to the "small amount of glue" not getting a blue label.

since it is golden age.and cgc would give it to a "mile high" or other key book?

you should ask for a change in label.

I just won this MM 26 on the c-link auction, and it has the same grade (ironically) as the MM 58 we have been discussing. More importantly, it has almost the identical description (the 58 says "..on spine of cover", while the 26 says "...on cover"). The 26 also says "minor" while the 58 says "small." Maybe that's the difference.

mm26.jpg

I think it comes down to "glue on the spine" being looked at as resto because it was more then likely was placed there to repair a tear as opposed to an odd spot of glue on the cover. Hard to really say without seeing the books in person.

Best of luck Sardo, I didnt mean to diminish your loss, but was more just trying to offer how I viewed your situation. I still think it's worth the effort to try and reach common ground with Metro even if it doesn't bear fruit.

Sometimes you have to remember while your book/transaction is obviously important to you, you are just one of hundreds of transaction they deal with, and sometimes their bedside manner reflects that. In the end if you are left unsatisfied dont buy from them again.

Perhaps the glue on your book was used to fix the spine making it restored instead of unrestored. If the glue was unintentionally placed on the spine without fixing anything, then it may have been in a blue label.

Again I am not trying to sound mean like I am some kind of dealer or anything I am just in my opinion keeping this in perspective here.

Sometimes we as buyers can def get nit picky.

Off course I hate it when I buy a book and it comes back PLOD, but I know that me sending the book to CGC is my decision and not that of dealer from whom I bought the book from.

Garbage in garbage out. This is a self defeating statement. "My decision and not that of dealer from whom I bought the book from?" Are you in some sort of fantasy world? :cloud9: Statements like this scare me not only because it sounds like you have no clue as to whats restored and unrestored in your collection, but also in matching this to your words earlier about how you sell comics to others. I have no choice but to presume that if you don't know they don't know. Yuck.

Dude most people on these boards will not even come close to agreeing with you.

Alot of people have already PM saying not to try and even waste my time on this thread.

and no they are not dealers!

So please tell me without getting made why this guy deserves money for the grading fee of this book? Lets say the grading fee is 50.00 and the cost of the resto part was 10.00 so there is a 40.00 difference.

Do you think he deserves that 40.00? please tell me why.

I don't doubt it. Karl Marx predicting this sh :censored: over 100 years ago when in basic terms he asked himself,"What the fu :censored: is our world coming to? Humans by nature are turned in the direction of evil, and who knows where were all headed. I do try to live my life by MORAL standards and certain principles. As I previously mentioned to you (and you don't want to believe) this isn't a about grading it's a case about whats X is and what X is not. If X is described to unrestored then no matter who inspects X it ought to come out as unrestored. I presented an example to you earlier about autographs and grading by PSA. This is a valid argument, however I can think of many many more. Cars are sold as used and new. What if I bought a car described as new, but found out shortly thereafter the odometer had been set back 1,000 miles and marked as new? Stucco on homes at one time was counterfeited, and people were buying homes on constructors word that it was authentic. The homeowners hit them up with some of the heaviest lawsuits recorded on paper. The list goes on and on. People purchase a book because it is worth X amount of dollars and for them to take that extra step and get it check by an restoration service just to see whether the seller was honest or not is absurd. Then only for it to come back as "X"-less or totally different from what they were told by the seller is :censored:. The fact of the matter is not whether it was blatant or careless; someone -in this case the dealer- wasn't being honest and got there asss saved by CGC. The real question you should ask yourself is,"Why shouldn't they refund him the grading fee?" I like to believe that if you don't know what's in your gun you shouldn't shoot it. I can't make you, nor do I care if you believe a word I say. I stand behind my morals, and push my emotions aside. In doing this I usually can tell if something is right or wrong. Sardo was able to find the problem, now it is Metropolis job to fix it, not just the one dent but all of it. ;)

There are some dealers who will refund CGC fees in the event that a book, sold as unrestored, does in fact come back PLOD. For me, the reason I do refund CGC fees in those cases (and it has happened :( ) is because I never want a customer to be out of pocket for my mistake. What other dealers, in this case Metro, choose to do is entirely up to them. Metro states their policy and I understand their position. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I do understand it.

I would refund the grading fees. But I'm not Metro, so good luck with that.

They missed the resto, so I don't know why they think you should be able to pick it up without sending it to CGC.

However, I do believe they should refund the shipping fees both ways. You bought a book that wasn't what they claimed it to be. You shouldn't eat the cost of shipping for their mistake.

Exactly, all most people ask for is to be met halfway,even when dealing with a powerhouse dealer such as Metro. And while perhaps unfair, to me it comes down to making an extra effort to be heard and state your case to get what you want, in this case some compensation for slabbing a book you thought to be clean.

Metro missed some work done on a book, all they should be responsible for is a full refund and shipping(if they want return business that is) any other cost the buyer incurs is done at their own expense unless worked out beforehand with Metro.

Legally I think Metro is covered.They state as much on their site.BUT I could agree with Kenny more.You have to know your customers.Sardo has been buying quite a few books lately.I know this from the boards.For a small price why not make a bad transaction into a positive.It all comes down to knowing your customers.

Dennis

There are some dealers who will refund CGC fees in the event that a book, sold as unrestored, does in fact come back PLOD. For me, the reason I do refund CGC fees in those cases (and it has happened :( ) is because I never want a customer to be out of pocket for my mistake. What other dealers, in this case Metro, choose to do is entirely up to them. Metro states their policy and I understand their position. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I do understand it.

Hey Richard! :hi:

I mean if as a dealer you want to refund the buyer the money for the whole CGC fee then thats a great service/policy you have in your business.

I just feel again that if I bought something from you, and it came back PLOD then I would be 100% satisfied if with the just a refund on the money I spend on the book. I wouldnt ask for the CGC fees at all.

I feel its my choice to get the book CGCed and if it came back PLOD then the principal amount of the book itself is all I ask.

But your a great dealer and thats why you have so many loyal customers! :applause:

Hope to see you at SDCC 2008!

John

I love it, the dealer everyone rails on around here for buying books, supposedly trimming or otherwise altering them and selling them an unrestored is the most vile pile of ever, but if you send in his books and resto is found he returns every penny for the purchase, resto and shipping every which way.

Metropolis is the above board company, they promise an unrestored copy and when they get caught we tell the guy he's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for expecting to be reimbursed for his costs incurred as a result of Metropolis' error.

Seems like it is safer to roll the dice with the known sleeze buckets. I assume Metropolis are good guys and something like this should be rare, which makes their policy even worse. If it happens all the time, I understand why they wouldn't want to keep eating those costs, but if it happens rarely, it seems like they would take care of their customers. Seems this must happen more often than it should. However, now that I understand their policy I will definitely consider my options and the slightly greater risk.

Metro really needs to factor in the cost of losing a customer (a GA customer) over slabbing fee's. Is it worth it to lose someone who maybe buys $100 or $1000 of dollars worth of books a year over $50? IMHO, no. But if they make one exception then they open themselves up for everyone who is not happy with the results they get back from CGC.

I believe each transaction should be handled independently and all the factors taken into consideration instead of using a policy to hide behind.

But if they make one exception then they open themselves up for everyone who is not happy with the results they get back from CGC.

And if that's really a problem, then the seller would need to work on their own resto detection skills. If something is being sold as unrestored, they should know exactly what unrestored is.

I think they let something minor slip through. They do have their policy in writing, but if it was me, I would make an exception and give the guy his fees back. Good customer service means making changes in your SOP on a case by case basis. Otherwise, you don't need a customer service department.

But if they make one exception then they open themselves up for everyone who is not happy with the results they get back from CGC.

And if that's really a problem, then the seller would need to work on their own resto detection skills. If something is being sold as unrestored, they should know exactly what unrestored is.

I think they let something minor slip through. They do have their policy in writing, but if it was me, I would make an exception and give the guy his fees back. Good customer service means making changes in your SOP on a case by case basis. Otherwise, you don't need a customer service department.

Thats why I added:

I believe each transaction should be handled independently and all the factors taken into consideration instead of using a policy to hide behind.

And all of a sudden I have the urge to play billiards (ahem).

Dear Forum Members,

I have just returned from looking at a deal and just learned about the issues Josh has with my company. I have emailed and PMed him asking him to call me to discuss the situation. Although our policy is clearly stated on our website I would like to speak with him about it.

As I have stated in the past I am always happy to discuss an issue a customer may have. I may not always agree but once again always happy to talk about it. You can always reach me toll free 800-229-6387 ext 14 US or 212-260-4147 ext 14 US or Intl or by emailing me at vincentz@metropoliscomics.com.

I also really appreciate those of you who have made very responsible posts by showing my clear policy, and those of you who did not use this incident to attempt to make themselves look better or put us down even if you disagree with our policy.

I would also make one last point, we do our best to spot restoration but sometimes things get by. That is why we have built up our policy to protect our customers which you can read about here http://metropoliscomics.com/orderinfo.php#returnpolicy

Sincerely,

Vincent

PS- If anybody would like to speak with me further on this situation please feel free to email me or PM me and I will get back to you shortly.

Dear Forum Members,

I have just returned from looking at a deal and just learned about the issues Josh has with my company. I have emailed and PMed him asking him to call me to discuss the situation. Although our policy is clearly stated on our website I would like to speak with him about it.

As I have stated in the past I am always happy to discuss an issue a customer may have. I may not always agree but once again always happy to talk about it. You can always reach me toll free 800-229-6387 ext 14 US or 212-260-4147 ext 14 US or Intl or by emailing me at vincentz@metropoliscomics.com.

I also really appreciate those of you who have made very responsible posts by showing my clear policy, and those of you who did not use this incident to attempt to make themselves look better or put us down even if you disagree with our policy.

I would also make one last point, we do our best to spot restoration but sometimes things get by. That is why we have built up our policy to protect our customers which you can read about here http://metropoliscomics.com/orderinfo.php#returnpolicy

Sincerely,

Vincent

PS- If anybody would like to speak with me further on this situation please feel free to email me or PM me and I will get back to you shortly.

Be sure to fill us in Sardo! :popcorn:

I just had a very nice conversation with Vincent at Metropolis regarding this issue. I understand his position and he understands mine (although we don't necessarily agree on certain matters).

It looks like he may be coming down to Super Con next week near my home in South Florida. If he does, I look forward to meeting him in person, bringing the book with me, and hopefully reaching a final agreement on my concerncs.

He also indicated that he would likely be changing his policy regarding not returning shipping costs for situations like the one I had.

I was very pleased with the line of communication between me and Metro and I feel confident that a mutually agreeable resolution will be reached.

Thank you again to everyone who provided their opinions in this forum.

Regards,

Josh

Glad to hear you guys are working together.

I figured Metro would step up, if you just talked to them about it.

Good job, guys. (thumbs u

Glad to hear you guys are working together.

I figured Metro would step up, if you just talked to them about it.

Good job, guys. (thumbs u

It's amazing what an 8 page thread can accomplish. :insane:

Does a buyer fee if they buy a book which they think is a 9.6 and then the cgc grade shows a 9.0 that they are entilted to a cgc fee refund as well?

:makepoint:

If you have any experience whatsoever with comics and you purchase a 9.0 book thinking it is a 9.6 IMO you got what you asked for. :devil: It's like holding up a sign labeling yourself as a fu :censored:ing idiott . :insane: To be quite honest with you I would never even associate with someone who grades that poorly. Also I am wondering WHO you were referring to when you openly stated that others agree with your line of thought regarding CGC reimbursement. I counted five bordies who completley disagree with your position including the biggest comic dealer in the southwest Bedrock City. (shrug) So WHY Metropolis does this remains umbrageous.