• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New York Worlds Fair 1940

27 posts in this topic

Looks like a good deal to me.

This book is notorious for consistently selling for way under guide. I have yet to see any copy sell for full guide price as long as I can remember.

I sold a 5.0 with off-white pages for $2500 (5.0 guide) at New York a few weeks back. So it does happen.

This book is notorious for consistently selling for way under guide. I have yet to see any copy sell for full guide price as long as I can remember.

I sold a 5.0 with off-white pages for $2500 (5.0 guide) at New York a few weeks back. So it does happen.

That's a shame. Supersweet books, no love. I'll probably start a run as soon as I finish my MMC run.

:wishluck:

:jokealert:

As annoying as that tape pull is, at least it's on the back cover. Can you imagine a tape pull that big on the front? I knew someone who did a tape pull on his Great Comics #3... :sick: Great score on New York Worlds Fair.

I sold a CGC 7.0 copy for about guide at $5,640 in 2006 or so.

I also sold a CGC 4.5 for $2,200 I think in 2007. That was under guide, but not excessively.

But it generally does seem to sell for under guide. A shame. The book doesn't deserve that. rantrant

I paid guide for mine. It's in better apparent condition than the copy seen here, but the splash page is missing. A B&W photo copy is in its place. I paid about $350 and was happy to get it!

I think the buyer did great!

I think the buyer did great too. At this price even a cheapskate like me would have been tempted!

I imagine prices may be softer on the 1940 book than the 1939 book. If I were going to really splurge, I'd rather have the '39 one.

the books sell for a fair price, the guide is just way to high on them...so, it is a "relative" term...

True. $535 for a 3.0 DC non-key from 1940 isn't exactly peanuts.

the books sell for a fair price, the guide is just way to high on them...so, it is a "relative" term...

(thumbs u

A few years ago Tom Gordon told me that there was some discussion about Worlds Fair 1940 being the first appearance of Sandman. Did that turn out to be true? If it were true then it would be a key and more important than a blonde haired Superman.

bb

A few years ago Tom Gordon told me that there was some discussion about Worlds Fair 1940 being the first appearance of Sandman. Did that turn out to be true? If it were true then it would be a key and more important than a blonde haired Superman.

bb

New York World's Fair 1939 is the first published Sandman - but per Overstreet the story in Adventure #40 was drawn first. The 1939 issue is arguably a key book.

bb

New York World's Fair 1939 is the first published Sandman - but per Overstreet the story in Adventure #40 was drawn first. The 1939 issue is arguably a key book.

I love the 1939 book :cloud9:

bb

My apologies to Tom Gordon. I probably didn't remember the story correctly. Tom was seldom wrong about golden age comics.

bb

(thumbs u

I wouldn't call it a non-key. The first appearance of Superman & Batman together, on the cover no less, seems notable to me.

I love the 1939 book :cloud9:

Do you have a copy, Rick?