• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New York Worlds Fair 1940

27 posts in this topic

New York World's Fair 1939 is the first published Sandman - but per Overstreet the story in Adventure #40 was drawn first. The 1939 issue is arguably a key book.

I love the 1939 book :cloud9:

Do you have a copy, Rick?

have had several over the years, constantly upgrading/downgrading as the financial mood strikes me...best i have had was a raw VF (simply stunning, but not being a high grade guy, I sold it)...worse I have had is a beater/reader (which I have now)...

the Mile High 1940 copy is overguide in the clink auction, and there are 2 nice 4.5 and 6.5 copies of the 1939 copy too, closing tonight

I did not use a sniping program on this book, and my computer crashed as I entered my final high bid (mine is the #2 bid.) It wasn't that much higher, so I probably would not have won anyway.

I think the winner got a great deal. Did he?

It's a shame the seller didn't get more for the comic as he's one of the nicest dealers on ebay. :grin:

Seriously I thought it would bring $800-$900. I had wanted to keep the comic and had offered more for the comic to the owner than what she will now get by selling it on ebay. These Uncle Russell comics I've been selling are on consignment. Just shows I don't ever shill my auctions.

It wasn't a comic I couldn't live without so I let it go on ebay knowing I would make money instead of spending money. I told her it was a comic that typically sold for less than book value.

It's also a tough comic to grade since it's really a nice comic with a bad defect. I gave it a G/VG. What would you guys grade it?

Leroy

I like the book but my perception is that the NYWF 1940 is rather common and usually sells for below Guide.

The one MrBedrock moved a few weeks ago was my former collection copy (I traded it away long ago), and it was a NICE 5.0 with great pages.

The NYWF 1939 is a tougher book, and seems very difficult to find in decent shape with decent pages - I've never owned one. :sorry:

I did not use a sniping program on this book, and my computer crashed as I entered my final high bid (mine is the #2 bid.) It wasn't that much higher, so I probably would not have won anyway.

I think the winner got a great deal. Did he?

It's a shame the seller didn't get more for the comic as he's one of the nicest dealers on ebay. :grin:

Seriously I thought it would bring $800-$900. I had wanted to keep the comic and had offered more for the comic to the owner than what she will now get by selling it on ebay. These Uncle Russell comics I've been selling are on consignment. Just shows I don't ever shill my auctions.

It wasn't a comic I couldn't live without so I let it go on ebay knowing I would make money instead of spending money. I told her it was a comic that typically sold for less than book value.

It's also a tough comic to grade since it's really a nice comic with a bad defect. I gave it a G/VG. What would you guys grade it?

Leroy

Congratulations on the collection! I thought the book graded VG, but I did not mind the tape pull on the back cover. The spine looks nice and the cover has great color, no major defects at all. I spent the money I would have spent on your book on the comiclink auction, anyway. I was only going to bid up to $575, so it would not have made much of a difference to you. I will have to look out for your auctions now!