• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winning bidder of my Spidy Platnum in 9.8 Claims Shill

62 posts in this topic

I just sold my Spidy Platinum in 9.8 this afternoon for $2,000.00. Ten minutes after the auction ended the winning bidder emails me and says the auction was fixed and shilled and he refuses to pay. The second loser I have dealt with before and he says if I ever get another copy he will take it. This is a full blown regular auction and I never get involved with shills. So did the winner just realize he can't afford the book? How long should I wait or try and force this person to pay. Thanks in advance, Tom

These boards are great, everyone here has so much knowledge. thanks

sounds like he regrets how much he bid or decided he would rather spend the cash on something else or out right brought the book cheaper from an other ebay auction or someplace else :S

if you have another buyer I would not worry about it and get the winner changed or what not through ebay some how if you can so the jerky can not neg you for no reason. I would also ban him or what not from you're listings if he is going to be that fickle

The Spidy Platinum there is only 10 copies ever out of over 500 submissions on a book from 1990. He can't get the book anywhere else right now as I'm sure the other 9 are tucked away in collections. I think he just does not have the money and kinda woke up in a panic that OH no I have to come up with 2K for one comic book. I think I will let it go for a day and just offer it to the second high which is the same price anyways.

I just sold my Spidy Platinum in 9.8 this afternoon for $2,000.00. Ten minutes after the auction ended the winning bidder emails me and says the auction was fixed and shilled and he refuses to pay. The second loser I have dealt with before and he says if I ever get another copy he will take it. This is a full blown regular auction and I never get involved with shills. So did the winner just realize he can't afford the book? How long should I wait or try and force this person to pay. Thanks in advance, Tom

Got a link to the item?

We need to see the bid history to know if he's just a dork or maybe he does see something funny.

You as the seller can see all the bidders right?

Copy/paste the bidders in an email to him and maybe if he's really concerned about shills and not just making it up he'll see it's OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170218153624&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=007

comix_geek (27)

Dear topnotchcomics,

Sorry, I sent a message to ebay. I think your auction was fixed. I have reason to believe this item was shilled. I refuse to pay.

- comix_geek

Got a link to the item?

We need to see the bid history to know if he's just a dork or maybe he does see something funny.

You as the seller can see all the bidders right?

Copy/paste the bidders in an email to him and maybe if he's really concerned about shills and not just making it up he'll see it's OK.

But that would invalidate the Private Auction, no?

Edit: whoops, sorry, this was posted before the link was.

This is the truth out of a bazillion auctions in the last 10 years, this is the first private auction I ever ran. Of coarse since I useually sell $3.00 comics I decided to make this expensive auction private, maybe thats not a wise decision.

Well being that his high bid happen to be $1 more than the last bidders bid. I can see why he would feel that way..

Also, as awe4one said. "hiding your bidders isn't doing you any favors" so know one knows if it was a shill or just a coincidence (shrug)

Hey Tom,

I wouldn't run anymore private auctions if I were you. Why don't you give the board members first crack at your slabs? :wishluck:

BTW... I have bought loads of books from Tom. He's great. He even forgave me after I pitched a hissy fit on his azz. :sorry:

The high losser was Eldose Babu who bought most of my Watchmens last summer. He has deep pockets and is a great customer on CGC's. If the real winner can't afford the book I will offer it to Babu. Otherwise I had a customer who basically buys on Comic Link, he is from Mexico and wants the package shipped with a declared value of $50.00. I said no way as thats to risky for me on a spending book. So he would not bid. I can alway sell it to him on Comic Link. I do have more of this book submitted and if I can get another 9.8 I will see the value interest with board members on a 9.8. thanks everyone, Tom

Hiding your bidders isn't doing you any favors...

Jim

-=User ID kept private=-

That's the kiss of death.

Even if your 100% a top notch guy it makes people who don't know you wonder.

Just think of this;

Public enemy number one of comic collector's (you-know-who) uses private auctions.

I'd never use one.

If I had a big ticket item I was afraid of putting on eBay I'd use comiclink or Quality's site or consign to Blazing Bob or something, anything, before going the private auction route.

I gotta say that 7 negs out of 31,000 sales doesn't strike as the profile of a dishonest seller.

Even better when you consider his total is 48,821 feedback received. I would overlook the 19 mutually withdrawn FBs because they're mostly whiney/i diot buyers ("I thought the TPBs were individual books" and "items not damaged but needs to pack better").