• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I get the best deal at Motor City this weekend?

23 posts in this topic

I was helping my good friend Stephen Ritter at his booth on Sunday afternoon when a couple of older gentleman stopped and asked if we were interested in some original art, Stephen not being into OA passed but made sure I had a chance if I wanted. Stephens booth was the 2nd closest to the the entrance and they had just started to make their rounds. The 1st booth was interested but weren't allowed to purchase without the owners permission and they couldn't reach him on their cellphone. They walked away and gave us a shot. Well when I saw what they were and asked him what kind of price he was asking, I didn't even bother to dicker. The two Avengers pieces are from issue #152 and are pencilled by John Buscema and inked by Joe Sinnott. The other two Thor pieces are from issue #251 and pencilled again by John Buscema with Zenuiga (sic?) inks. Both Thor pieces are signed by big John as well. The collector even gave me the ad from which he purchased these in 1977, so they haven't been available for a long time. Anyways I have no idea what retail are on these things but I am so fortunate for being in the right place at the right time.

AbbysBDay014.jpg

AbbysBDay013.jpg

AbbysBDay012.jpg

AbbysBDay011.jpg

Unfortunately these aren't battle pages, but they do feature heroes predominantly. LMK what you think, and if anyone has a ball park figure on their value, I'd love to hear them.

Jim

The only way to know if you got the best deal is to know what you paid. 100k each NO, $1 each YES, in the middle MAYBE

He bought the pages in 1977 for $25 each and wanted to make $100 on each one and he did...$500 for all 4.

Jim

$500 for all 4? :o I'm green as they come in this field and even I would have known to find the cash for these ASAP!

Jim, you made out like a bandit on these (in a good way)!!! Congrats! :applause:

He bought the pages in 1977 for $25 each and wanted to make $100 on each one and he did...$500 for all 4.

Jim

Hah...did the guy step out of the "way back machine" from 1997?

Was he excited that he now had some cash to buy a new Nintendo 64?

Was he still in shock over the shooting of the Notorious B.I.G.?

Frightened of the incoming Hale-Bopp Comet?

Excited beyond belief for the release later that summer of the Schumacher master-piece-to-be "Batman and Robin"?

I ask because the price you got those pages at were retail about that same time in 1997. Good deal.... (thumbs u

Chris

Jim

Hah...did the guy step out of the "way back machine" from 1997?

Was he excited that he now had some cash to buy a new Nintendo 64?

Was he still in shock over the shooting of the Notorious B.I.G.?

Frightened of the incoming Hale-Bopp Comet?

Excited beyond belief for the release later that summer of the Schumacher master-piece-to-be "Batman and Robin"?

I ask because the price you got those pages at were retail about that same time in 1997. Good deal.... (thumbs u

Chris

The genius of comix4fun. :applause:

I wouldn't have been calling the boss, thats for sure, he would have thanked me later.

No mess. "Well we couldn't get ahold of you so I bought them for myself" would have been my reply.

micro-managing at its finest !

I was helping my good friend Stephen Ritter at his booth on Sunday afternoon when a couple of older gentleman stopped and asked if we were interested in some original art, Stephen not being into OA passed but made sure I had a chance if I wanted. Stephens booth was the 2nd closest to the the entrance and they had just started to make their rounds. The 1st booth was interested but weren't allowed to purchase without the owners permission and they couldn't reach him on their cellphone. They walked away and gave us a shot. Well when I saw what they were and asked him what kind of price he was asking, I didn't even bother to dicker. The two Avengers pieces are from issue #152 and are pencilled by John Buscema and inked by Joe Sinnott. The other two Thor pieces are from issue #251 and pencilled again by John Buscema with Zenuiga (sic?) inks. Both Thor pieces are signed by big John as well. The collector even gave me the ad from which he purchased these in 1977, so they haven't been available for a long time. Anyways I have no idea what retail are on these things but I am so fortunate for being in the right place at the right time.

Jim

Yeah, Jim you got the biggest score of the show, and the seller got the biggest burn