• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOOKS STOLEN AT MOTOR CITY CON DETROIT

83 posts in this topic

if your not going to hire the extra help to watch your stuff or get some thing to ward off these people then what happens is ONLY your fault.

don't blame the victim (correct sp)

sorry about the spelling I was typing to fast ... :boo:

And do you even know who the original poster is? Have you ever seen his booths at conventions? He has more hired help and extra workers to help out and watch the booth than just about any other dealer at a convention.

Criminals don't need the additional assistance of having someone shift the blame for their actions to their victims.

C

So who's at fault then the people running the show because they don't have the security camera up and running MAYBE THEY where the one who came by and took this guys stuff - NEVER KNOW -

My point being if you can't watch your stuff then some thing like this is going to happen, may it be a small one day show or a big promo show some thing is bound to happen...maybe there is a group of people who are touring the big comic book shows and waiting for someone who isn't set up the way they should be and taking advantage of people.

This really sucks!!! :cry:

Seems to be a rise lately with thefts at shows!!!

I feel for you. I've been ripped off twice over the years!!! Once they got into my house!!!

Hope you can get them back!!! if you have scans you can post it might help!!!

9 slabs is a lot... Most likely they disappeared when they were taking the booths down and stacking the slabs back into boxes? During booth and rack breakdown, it gets quite distracting as everyone tries to pack up at once so they can get in line for load out.

No, it was during the show. He came by the booth and told me about it, thinking that Marc Nathan was playing a trick on him.

What he needs to do is find out his serial numbers and then maybe he can track them if they ever show up for sale. I guess someone could just crack the books out.

I really don't think you can put the majority of the onus on the seller at a show. A clever thief can nab books in seconds and there are so many distractions even if you have the booth well manned.

And I know Jaime was making efforts not to let too many wall books leave his site at any one time. When I wanted to see the X-books on his wall, I didn;t get them as a bundle to peruse.

It would probably hurt sales and flow a bit, but you almost need a 3 walled booth that's not just curtains. Booths that have 3 open sides like Jaime's are highly susceptible. It doesn't take much to distract people at a show and when you have to keep an eye out 270 degrees, it's hard to do.

A question: since these were graded, isn't there a serial number or the like recorded somewhere? If so, would that possibly hinder it's future movement?

9 slabs is a lot... Most likely they disappeared when they were taking the booths down and stacking the slabs back into boxes? During booth and rack breakdown, it gets quite distracting as everyone tries to pack up at once so they can get in line for load out.

No, it was during the show. He came by the booth and told me about it, thinking that Marc Nathan was playing a trick on him.

What he needs to do is find out his serial numbers and then maybe he can track them if they ever show up for sale. I guess someone could just crack the books out.

I'm thinking dale has a good point here and maybe these books where cracked & sold or resubmitted to CGC for a new number..

Security cameras can only do so much. If you catch the thieves on film later, the hard part is finding them. I'm guesing the police would only take a cursory interest and it wouldn't be high on their radar.

At our lumberyards, we've seen plenty of brazen thievery. Trust me, you can have all the people you think you need, along with security, and someone can find a way. I've seen all types of methods. Some we caught, some we didn't.

The sad thing, besides Jaime's loss, is it affects the buying experience for the 99.9% of the convention crowd in the future. The seller doesn't want to get burned again and probably is more suspicious. hence some books might not be brought or might not be displayed. And, as the old adage goes, out of sight, out of mind".

Now if this "security" issue is more leveled at the promoter, then it's a slightly different approach. But I'm not sure what Motor City could do in terms of more security.

I was actually eyeing almost every one of those books...especially the Superboy #1 as I'd never held one before. That's where I bought my Marvel Mystery #7 from on Saturday and was eyeing the MMC #35 8.0 as well. Sorry to hear the books where stolen Jamie.

I do remember on Sunday you only had 2 walls instead of 3 and the MMC #35 was still there at about 2 pm. When where the books stolen?

Roy.

So who's at fault then the people running the show because they don't have the security camera up and running MAYBE THEY where the one who came by and took this guys stuff - NEVER KNOW -

My point being if you can't watch your stuff then some thing like this is going to happen, may it be a small one day show or a big promo show some thing is bound to happen...maybe there is a group of people who are touring the big comic book shows and waiting for someone who isn't set up the way they should be and taking advantage of people.

Dude that is a silly thing to say. Not everyone can watch everything all the time.

R.

I can remember when people used to BUY books from conventions. doh!

There sure does seem to be alot of this going on.Does anyone think maybe it can be connected somehow?

Maybe there are organized groups or a group that procure product for people? (shrug)

I can remember when people used to BUY books from conventions. doh!

There sure does seem to be alot of this going on.Does anyone think maybe it can be connected somehow?

Maybe there are organized groups or a group that procure product for people? (shrug)

Could be. Times get rough and some people's genetic moral make-up can be lacking. I believe it happens in the art world doesn't it?

Dude that is a silly thing to say. Not everyone can watch everything all the time.

R.

& even if they do it can still get nabbed right out in front of them... Why someone could come along yoink box & start running whats a guy to do if hes standing there watching his booth?.. even if he had multiple people if one leaves it leaves the booth open to more theft :S

Ah yes conventions aren' they wonderful? had several books ripped sunday may 17.

i will put up scans later....as i learn to do it!!

all are CGC'd

all star 6 apparent 5.0

detective 79 cgc 5.0

batman 60 3.5 palo alto collection

batman 70 5.0

marvel mystery 35 apparent 8.0

marvel mystery 71 7.0

loonie tunes 1 3.0

superboy1 apparent 8.0

shield wizard 6 apparent 9.0

what happened? did you ask Brad Savage to watch your booth??

:signfunny: :signfunny:

:roflmao: This show is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOSER!

On a serious note - hope you get your books back Jamie! Post the serial numbers when you can.

Actually at Motor City, Jamie was by himself most of the time, and he had a very large booth to protect. I'm sorry about your books. I know of another dealer had about 3 slabs stolen as well but is keeping it more quiet to see if they show up quicker with the less publicity. I'm not sure which method works better but hopefully they both do and both parties get their property back.

Jim

Awww, shoot. I knew the deal was too good to be true. :frustrated: He told me it was an attic find in an old chest and the books likely belonged to his grandfather who died a few years ago. No one had gone up there since 1987. This is not good. :(

Awww, shoot. I knew the deal was too good to be true. :frustrated: He told me it was an attic find in an old chest and the books likely belonged to his grandfather who died a few years ago. No one had gone up there since 1987. This is not good. :(

did you pick up the books Mark?