• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coverless Hulk #181

44 posts in this topic

FYI - I bought a coverless (Missing front cover only) Giant-Size X-men #1 (otherwise NM) in 2005 for $25. My feeling is that this is a good price range for this type of book.

On a related note - I bought a Captain America Comics #5 (coverless and in crumbling condition) for $70 and felt that was a good price. So, everyone has their own gauge that they go by.

Yeah... the market on this book is getting retarded. I see copies on eBay that look like 1.8-2.0 regularly selling for 3.0 prices. And this may or may not be a copy sans MVS. It just pisses me off because I have a continually sinking feeling that to get my hands on this copy, I'm going to end up having to pay over guide for it despite aiming for a low grade copy. :frustrated:

The truly frustrating part about this whole deal is that the seller was unwilling to budge at all. Honestly, probably would have paid a few exta $$$ if the response had been the least bid receptive.

But instead I felt as if the door had been slammed in my face and I was a fool to even suggest a different price...WTH???

Isn't this a very well known and highly thought of dealer?

Yes, a VERY well known and highly thought of dealer, a nice guy (I see him at all the shows) and I am fairly sure, he's a board member. I have bought from him with never a problem on ebay and in person.

Funny, when I saw the title, I said to myself...oh, a coverless book, Fedoraman can make one of his great covers for it:)

Al Stoltz is his name (his photo even graces a page of the current Overstreet--p. 1106).

I first became aware of him through an interview Vincent Zurzolo did with him for that Comic Zone Radio program; it was an interesting interview--check it out. They covered a lot of ground, sans discussion of the FMV for coverless Hulk #181s. :kidaround:

He's well known and he's friendly at conventions, but I think he prices things high so I rarely buy from him. It's not that I can't afford it, I just don't want to pay his asking price because I can usually find the book somewhere else for less or just live without it. I also think $80 for any coverless Bronze Age comic is a lot.

Here is a funny exchange with a seller regarding this item listed for $80 shipped:

ME: Would you accept $50 shipped to KC, MO for this comic?

I can send Paypal payment immediately.

Thanks.

THEM: Sorry but we cannot do that

ME (extremely bored): Why not?

THEM: It is priced at $75.00 and we never include shipping into the price of an item. You can buy it now for the $75.00 or you have to pass on the item

ME: Best of luck with your gouge!

THEM:

Please, if you are on a fixed income you should not be looking at e-bay items

ME: Just because I have the money to spend doesn't mean I want to be ripped-off...$50 is a more than FAIR offer for this coverless #181 - you should accept it. OS guide on a Good copy is only $90...

THEM: as an Overstreet Advisor I laugh at that statement ! The Guide is just that a GUIDE ! Market price is above and below prices listed, that are by the way price averages from the PREVIOUS year. Hulk 181 beaten to death sells above Guide in all grades and I am sure you are well aware of that. It will stay posted and it will sell

ME: It's funny, the only people who gripe about the OS guide and say "It's just a GUIDE!!!!!!!!!" are the very same people who are charging WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for their low grade comics. As I said before best of luck with your gouge.

I guarantee you GPA for a 0.5 is less than $80.

THEM: you have fun online and send notes to a Seller who really has time to care about your goofy theories and thoughts. Please do not look at our comics, we do not want to upset you with books and prices that are beyond your buying ability.

ME: You have really made me laugh tonight - I should buy your overpriced book just for that alone...

THEM: Please do not, would rather sell it to a buyer who really wants it and will enjoy it.

ME: I think you mean a sucker who is willing to be ripped off...as I said before, best of luck with your gouge.

lol Give'em hell

\this person took a very offensive stance from the get go.

If "this person" is you, then I agree.

The seller only started in *after* you accused him of price-gouging - up until then, he'd been very courteous. (shrug)

The seller only started in *after* you accused him of price-gouging - up until then, he'd been very courteous. (shrug)

I agree. It's his book. If he doesn't want to sell it, he doesn't have to sell it.

The book is overpriced. Get over it, and move along.

He'll either sell it, or he won't.

:)

I agree. It's his book. If he doesn't want to sell it, he doesn't have to sell it.

The book is overpriced. Get over it, and move along.

He'll either sell it, or he won't.

:)

I agree even more strongly with JC than you.

Note Fedoraman's claim of "elitism". Interesting choice of words.

Maybe the seller had to pawn his children at the slave market to earn the cash to buy that over-priced book so that he could sell it for even more money and make $2 profit after fees so that he could afford to keep the wolf at his door at bay for another 10 minutes and so on...

I'm coming to Fedoraman's place of business this morning and take a very large spoon all over his price card & post video of it on a popular website specific to his industry. Probably the industry of printing comic book cover recreations.

Why start the negativity by accusing the seller of price gouging?

You kind of opened the door for an argument with that comment.

Regardless of fair market value, if the seller wants to charge too much let him charge too much. If a buyer wants too pay too much let him pay too much. I agree your offer was more than fair, but to accuse the seller of gouging simply because he did not accept your offer seems silly and non productive. I mean what was the point of your comment.

Maybe I am missing something here but it seems you acted a little "off" in the exchange and the seller responded in kind.

Peace.

Well said, I agree.

he's a dealer and I assume one who is out there trying to make a living. unless you stumble upon edward church type collections, it's just scraping by. if the book is wildly overpriced it will sit there and after 6-12 or 18 or whatever months he'll knock the price down. or maybe he won't. i dunno about "elitist" or any of that stuff, the guy has bills to pay too. is it overpriced? probably? might it have been nicer to come back and say "how about $75 and I pay for shipping?", at least offering a token reduction in overall cost? yeah, i would have done that at the very least.

these things are tough to gauge. i sold a coverless FF 48 for $35 or thereabouts. granted, it had a nice photocopy cover (which, of course, i made VERY clear was a copy in the auction) and the buyer was happy to get the book at that price at that time.

FF 48s and Hulk 181s are both pretty common books and I'm figuring a 181 is 2-3X as expensive in lower grades? i dunno, $75 seems like not too insane a price to start out at for a little while to see what the market will accept.

Not that I don't understand your frustration at the lack of any negotiability on the part of a dealer who has his item priced well above guide. It's more frustrating in person at a convention where you assume they aren't serious about their wacky prices and those are just the starting point for negotiation, particularly when you're looking to drop a few hundred bucks on books that aren't even necessarily selling like hotcakes. Now if only I could find my OPG I keep in the office to see if we're talking about the same guy....

i dunno about "elitist" ...

This is the word which has stuck in my mind for a few weeks now.

:gossip:

In fact, it was this thread which pretty much pushed me out of BA for some time now. Bad taste and all that.