• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are we really that bad?

316 posts in this topic

You do pick on MrBedrock from time to time though.

Really? I never noticed. hm

Must have been too busy toeing the company line.

only in admiration ...only in admiration (thumbs u

Is there as much propaganda on these boards as there is on the CGC boards? I've always felt strange when I viewed their forums, it seemed to be one big commercial for having your books graded and I was never sure who was a company boy and who wasn't. Plus there seemed to be some real nasty trolling going on over there.

I read this on another comics board and thought are we really that bad? I mean the site is hosted by CGC and their main objective is to sell their service, but I don't see it as one big commercial. Furthermore, I think a lot of the trolling members are no longer here. I know we kid each other and give one another a good ribbing from time to time, but I haven't seen anything that I would call down right malicious. So, I pose the question, "Are we really that bad?"

Maybe it's time for a little introspection? hm

As a newbie, I can perhaps provide a fairly objective view. In reading these boards over the last few weeks, I've found them to be interesting and far more informative than any other comic chat boards that I know of. Certainly, the volume of posts and the expertise of many of the posters are well ahead of other boards. It's not too surprising that people who are critical of slabbing would be unlikely to post to a board sponsored by CGC. In addition, as someone else noted, the whole "to slab or not to slab" debate has pretty much played itself out by now and I doubt that many people feel the need to restate their positions at this late date.

So, no you are really not that bad.

I have to say that the tone of the board is now a lot closer to the Company line than it ever was. A lot of those folk with 'issues'...whether it be with the principle or processes involved in slabbing books...have either had their membership coincidentally 'revoked', or have fallen silent.

The furious debate that was common three/four years ago is now uncommon...rare even...and I'm of a mind that this is not a good thing. Not for the hobby and certainly not for the consumer.

CGC do not interfere and overtly push any agenda, and that's to be applauded, but indirectly, I do suspect that the Mods approach to certain issues and individuals gets them to where they want to be anyway.

Expect to see me on the Strike section on Tuesday morning... :insane:

Not having been here 3 -4 years ago, I have no way to compare. But I will say that most of those who have been jettisoned recently made the mistake of questioning CGC's integrity when making their respective points in whatever argument that was taking place.

CGC has worked very hard to keep their integrity beyond reproach. They seem to welcome the discussions on the hobby's problems but they don't want their integrity to be considered a cause of any of those problems.

And frankly, it shouldn't be. That may sound like a company man talking. But in reality it is coming from a guy who has had his share of problems with CGC's grading criteria, restoration issues, expense and shipping concerns. But never with their integrity.

Is there as much propaganda on these boards as there is on the CGC boards? I've always felt strange when I viewed their forums, it seemed to be one big commercial for having your books graded and I was never sure who was a company boy and who wasn't. Plus there seemed to be some real nasty trolling going on over there.

I read this on another comics board and thought are we really that bad? I mean the site is hosted by CGC and their main objective is to sell their service, but I don't see it as one big commercial. Furthermore, I think a lot of the trolling members are no longer here. I know we kid each other and give one another a good ribbing from time to time, but I haven't seen anything that I would call down right malicious. So, I pose the question, "Are we really that bad?"

As a newbie, I can perhaps provide a fairly objective view. In reading these boards over the last few weeks, I've found them to be interesting and far more informative than any other comic chat boards that I know of. Certainly, the volume of posts and the expertise of many of the posters are well ahead of other boards. It's not too surprising that people who are critical of slabbing would be unlikely to post to a board sponsored by CGC. In addition, as someone else noted, the whole "to slab or not to slab" debate has pretty much played itself out by now and I doubt that many people feel the need to restate their positions at this late date.

:acclaim:

As far as trolling goes, this board is extremely tame.

I post and lurk on a message board for local law students and lawyers, and most of what goes on there can be described as pure malevolence.

There is certainly less trolling on this Forum than there used to be...

And indeed, there'll always be politics on any internet chatboard, corporate ownership or otherwise. This board, although not as cutting-edge as it was (to echo Nick's words) is still the place to be within the hobby and does engender a bond amongst those who've been here some time and not found it in themselves to quit the place.

Apart from one or two agitators (you know who you are), people here are really not that bad at all.

Are we really that bad?

Well, you are..., but I'm pretty sure I'm not. :whistle:

If you are an outsider looking in, maybe. If you realize that most this stuff is jokes and we enjoy busting each others chops. No, we arent that bad. I think that this board is extremely friendly and has alot of useful information. And CGC propaganda ? I would say there are less average collectors vs. the HG slab collector.

And as stated before , there is SOME jealousy with those UBER HG key books.

Are we that bad? Well yes and no. Yes in the sense that this place has a concentration of collectors who include encapsulated books in their collections. Many of us love to show them off by posting pix or scans of them (guilty as charged), and post online our groupings of them for all to see.

No, in the sense that we are not "company boys". There's plenty of criticism of CGC, of collecting slabbed books and certain of their labels, of the prices these books realize, etc... Just calling this 54 year old man a "company boy" is not only patently ridiculous, but it's derogatory and demeaning.

Let the battles between boards begin! I've got dibs on the Voluminous Volstagg to protect my arse.

Are we really that bad?

Well, you are..., but I'm pretty sure I'm not. :whistle:

Let's see. I forget if you're the pot or the kettle. hm

It depends on what style of handle you prefer...., :whistle:

Being a member for a little over a year now, I don't feel that this board is one big commercial for slabbing comics by CGC. Would I like to own slabs? Sure, but I don't feel pressured to do so and I don't feel underpriviledged for not owning any.

As far as being a source for comic knowledge, both historical and current, I haven't found a better place online yet. What I have found is a well kept community of collectors that seem to really enjoy the hobby for the right reasons. Is it a nice playground all of the time? No, people do get their panties in a wad easily from time to time - but that happens! (And it does seem to be a select few repeaters :whistle: )

Must....try....harder....

You damn dirty ape!!!

No.

One should expect the CGC boards to have mostly CGC collectors or at least comic collectors who favor CGC's overall role in the hobby.

As to the nasty trolling...

Greggy hasn't been around much lately so it's gotten better.