• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee sketch on a 9.2 ASM 129....WHY???

36 posts in this topic

Ok well as many of you know I am a sucker for a sketched CGC SS book especially my Fallen Son/Secret Invasion fixation. But I saw this today and thought, ...... now that is just not right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-129-CGC-9-2-SS-w-Sketch-by-Stan-Lee_W0QQitemZ280231771214QQihZ018QQcategoryZ972QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why would anyone want Stan "the man" Lee to sketch on a near mint copy of Amazing Spider-man #129. Yes I know its Stan Lee, but the spider sketch completly ruins the cover.

There will be those who will say that you should never get a book like this signed in the first place, but this is not about the signature.

All of the headsketched books I have gotten are on areas which compliment the book, ie in a blank area or in an area that doesnt detract from the image.

What do you guys think?

59234-cgc129.jpg.bdb43fc4b4aae1619488413b5ad6dc9b.jpg

Getting a HG book signed is fine. in fact.. IMO adds a lot of value to a book (as long as the artist/story writer has something to do with the book).. But having stan lee draw an UGLY and BIG spider on this issue's cover.. IMO ruins the book completely!..

BTW when did STAN LEE (story writer) do sketches?

Some people have no soul. That's why they have him draw on a book. lol

This goes back to my question of why have someone who created a character (in this case Spidey) sign a random book at all? Granted I've got Lee's signature on an FF book that has a cover swipe from #1 and he co-created the team, so it's shaky but it's still there. But why have him sign ASM #129 at all? Gary Conway was the writer!

(shrug)

Keep in mind, we all collect old funny books and most of society see us as odd. So who's to judge?

lol

Question, what's a good issue to get signed by Stan Lee? Does one issue pop into mind that's better than others? (Note: I'm not thinking over $350... base cost :)

I ask, cuz I'm thinking of sending a book or two to be signed. THANKS

If you're looking for something really low-end a Marvel Milestones book might be good, it has the silver are around the cover of the book it reprints which makes a good clear area for a sig.

kirkman does awesome sketches

You are absoultly correct, so does Dan Slott. I have NO problem with authors sketching on books, hell I would LOVE to get a Stan Lee sketched fallen son book (Im looking at you Chandler :) ) BUT dont go and ruin a NM copy by spilling ink on the book and calling it a sketch.

FYI here is a great example of when its great to get a writer to sketch on a book. Dan Slott who is writing Secret Invasion the Intitive did this great sketch for me this past weekend

59238-DanSlott1.jpg.52c9049d914bb63024940501d5bf2f87.jpg

Yes I know its Stan Lee, but the spider sketch completly ruins the cover.

Agreed. Seeing such a beautiful copy like that RUINED by an ugly magic-marker doodle in the cover's title area is heart-breaking, even if it was done by the hand of the Man. Has to be one of the worst SS debacles I've ever seen.

:sick:

And then to start with an asking price of $2K for it is downright :screwy:

This seller also has the following book for sale which I had to do a quadruple take on..

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICK-FURY-SHIELD-CGC-9-4-SS-Signed-Sketch-Jim-Steranko_W0QQitemZ300229293583QQihZ020QQcategoryZ972QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Not only is it like wheres waldo aka where did Steranko sign and sketch but its done in BLACK ink on a BLACK BACKGROUND doh!

Steranko I have heard NEVER sketches at cons and ALWAYS personalizes his signature. Does anyone know the seller Eric Zinkann? and how did he get this done and why wouldnt he have a silver sharpe on hand? . I assume hes a SS witness cause he also has a Frazetta CGC SS signed book up for sale. Inquiring minds want to know

I don't recall his name, but he had a small Steranko sketch up some time back. I asked about how he got it, naturally, since it wasn't inscribed to anyone. He said Steranko owes him two commissions and has for sometime and that the quickie sketch was sort of an apology. I imagine this is a similar deal.

This guy gets some fantastic stuff and I've dealt with him in the past with no problems.