• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 294, 295, 296

226 posts in this topic

CGC is pretty darn tough on Copper/Moderns, aren't they?

They have to be, otherwise the ratio of 9.4 to 9.6 to 9.8 would be way off-kilter.

Considering most books taken right off the shelves today get either 9.6 or 9.8, what kind of ratio are we going to see for the next 5-20 years? I'm just saying that a lot of 10-15 year books seem to be graded just as harshly as the ones that came out in the last 5 years after CGC started.

I think now people are more careful about which books they pick up from their LCS each week and will not pick up a book with a slight imperfection that they might have 10-15 years ago. I'm not the only "Monk" inspecting the spines and edges of my books every week at my LCS. $3 a pop is steep, it better look good.

But due to bad printing I suspect we will continue to see hard to find in high grade books here and there... I had a hard time finding a clean UXM 463 due to a widespread print defect.

Jim

:roflmao:

:grin: Ok...how about 9.4 then?

But what do I know? If it was a Bronze comic I'd say it has a shot at 9.6 but since it's a Modern (to hell what OS says) and CGC is much stricter, I wouldn't have a clue. I've always imagined a Modern comic had to shine divinely for CGC to give it anything above a 9.6. Either that or send in a boxload of prescreens... hm

Jim

BC scan X-Men 294

Nice corners. No colorbreaking stress marks. How good are you at seeing noncolorbreaking stress marks? You can spot them easiest by holding the book up at a 90 degree angle from your face and tilting it slightly up and down under fluorescent light. The book needs to be out of the bag.

The reason I ask is that there are four places on the scan where there seems to be a faint line on the spine including just below center on the book and near the staples (which is where stress lines are most common).

NCB stress is almost impossible to pick up from scans and is frequently missed by non-CGC graders. I just received a CGC 9.6 book that the owner swore was perfect with no NCB stress and a great resub candidate and I immediately found several NCB stress marks (shrug)

BC scan X-Men 294

Nice corners. No colorbreaking stress marks. How good are you at seeing noncolorbreaking stress marks? You can spot them easiest by holding the book up at a 90 degree angle from your face and tilting it slightly up and down under fluorescent light. The book needs to be out of the bag.

The reason I ask is that there are four places on the scan where there seems to be a faint line on the spine including just below center on the book and near the staples (which is where stress lines are most common).

NCB stress is almost impossible to pick up from scans and is frequently missed by non-CGC graders. I just received a CGC 9.6 book that the owner swore was perfect with no NCB stress and a great resub candidate and I immediately found several NCB stress marks (shrug)

Don't worry before I submit them I'll go over them with a magnifying glass. The others I looked at had NCB's and I put them back in storage. This one is exceptional but I will verify it's near perfect before sending it in.

I actually found a bunch of 294, 295, and 296s recently... some of which were miraculously bereft of their cards or put into bags/boards... (They had been opened in the 90's.)

:wishluck:

I picked up 32 copies of Annual 17 (polybagged) At Emerald City Con for .50 each. I sat in my rental car and opened every copy. Most had lines front and back. I managed to find two cean copies and dumped the rest at the airport. I sent them out and just got my grades online.

I got a 9.6, and a 9.8!!! :acclaim:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

dumped the rest at the airport.
:o

Hey they were carry on and weighing me down, I had other things that i picked up also... Wanted to keep things to a minimum to insure I didn't accidentaly damage anything. lol

They pretty much all had the polybag line of death. They won't be missed.