• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men variants the definitive set, any takers?

145 posts in this topic

Having communicated with Gemma the other day, she is waiting for a consensus of opinion on the correct variants that should be in the Uncanny X-Men sets, I was thinking that a X-Men collector of long standing should draw up a list and then the other collectors can pass their comments, before passing the list to Gemma for her perusal and approval,...... any takers?

I would rather critique someone else's list. However, I will say that it should be limited to the comics distributed from Marvel available to have been purchased off the shelf or at a con and not available only through some mail away, purchased with a toy or a happy meal.

I would rather critique someone else's list. However, I will say that it should be limited to the comics distributed from Marvel available to have been purchased off the self or at a con and not available only through some mail away, purchased with a toy or a happy meal.

Even though I have every Marvel Legends reprint in HG I agree, this toy series should be left out, especially since they contain less pages (no outside advertising other than the toy series).

I can't seem to track down my 221 So Much Fun reprint to check the interior and I personally have not see the interior of the JC Penney UXM 245 reprint yet.

However, the three pressmans mail-aways are full reprints, including advertising. They were also distributed during the same period as the originals. I would include these. If you didn't, you'd have to pull the Nabisco 145 mail-away variants out of the Wolverine sets using the same logic.

In my opinion the only books missing from the list currently are the 2 additional Pressman Gold Mail-away books, 303 & 307 and maybe the 221 So Much Fun Reprint if it's a full reprint of the original.

Even though I haven't been on the board very long I personally have every variant associated with the X-Men series, & all the side series and mini-series. Every, chrome, Df, special, con, blah, blah, you name it. I pretty much know what's out there so if anybody's got a variant question PM me.

I'll try to find the 221 it when I get back from my LCS... big variant day! :D

Having communicated with Gemma the other day, she is waiting for a consensus of opinion on the correct variants that should be in the Uncanny X-Men sets, I was thinking that a X-Men collector of long standing should draw up a list and then the other collectors can pass their comments, before passing the list to Gemma for her perusal and approval,...... any takers?

Don't forget this includes the books that shouldn't be there as well - are we decided about the #360 & #381 rogue issues?

Yeah, forgot about that... the 381 Holofoil slot should go bye-bye! All existing certificate numbers should be rolled into the Chrome slots... There is no Holo-foil, just Chrome... I have to check to see what's up with my 360 variant and make sure it's not some newstand price variant... Speaking of price variants... I almost forgot these 5 books:

318 Non-Deluxe

319 Non-Deluxe

320 Non-Deluxe

321 Non-Deluxe

325 Newstand (Non-Prismatic Lettering)

I will post side by side comparisons in a bit.

That's it for the modern 301-450 run. I'll also post a list for the 451-500 additions to the registry.

I would rather critique someone else's list.

I can't seem to track down my 221 So Much Fun reprint to check the interior and I personally have not see the interior of the JC Penney UXM 245 reprint yet.

The X-Men 245 is a full reprint with the exception of the ads, inside covers and back covers which have 1993 ads as do all 1993 Marvel Vintage Pack reprints.

I am pretty sure the indicia is exactly the same of the original UXM 245 but I can check tonight and supply a scan if anybody wants to see it.

The X-Men 245 is a full reprint with the exception of the ads, inside covers and back covers which have 1993 ads as do all 1993 Marvel Vintage Pack reprints.

I am pretty sure the indicia is exactly the same of the original UXM 245 but I can check tonight and supply a scan if anybody wants to see it.

I would love to see a scan of this issue.

Which creates another question. Should reprints made years later with different advertising be considered variants or just special editions? hm

Here are the Non-Deluxe Price Variants for 318-321. The Deluxe editions are $1.95, these are $1.50. They are still Direct Editions.

318price.jpg319price.jpg

320price.jpg321price.jpg

I consider these variants and think they should be added to the list as price variants.

Here is the 325 newstand variant. It's cover is normal paper stock, has no prismatic lettering and is $2.95. The Direct Edition has a cardstock cover, prismatic lettering, and a $3.95 price point.

325newstand.jpg

I'd like a 325 News stand variant listing for this one.

I would leave to see a scan of this issue.

Which creates another question. Should reprints made years later with different advertising be considered variants or just special editions? hm

special editions rantrant

otherwise all those Hulk 181 reprints over the last 30 years would all be "variants" :makepoint:

otherwise all those Hulk 181 reprints over the last 30 years would all be "variants" :makepoint:

I totally agree... But that then puts the 268 2nd printing in question since it was actually published a few years later as a promotional book also as I understand.

I totally agree... But that then puts the 268 2nd printing in question since it was actually published a few years later as a promotional book also as I understand.

Then abolish it as a special edition also hm

Then abolish it as a special edition also hm

I just compared raw copies of 268 and 268 2nd print. The interior of the 2nd print has advertisements for Marvel Comic's upcoming issues from 1992 replacing the original advertising from 1990. Here is an example:

2682ndinterior.jpg

Any other opinions?

I have had it with all this variant craap! I'm just waiting for the build your own sets. Step it up, you CGC people. :pullhair:

This is all MutantKeys fault with those damn 2nd printings months ago. I knew it was the opening of the Gates of Hell, but would anybody listen? NOOOOOOO! :mad:

:baiting: Debate is good, but until one of you leads the 'debate' with a list that then can be 'debated' we won't get a formula to narrow down

Here's how I see it right now, additions have *** next to them

Copper List:

248 2nd print

268 2nd print

270 2nd print

275 2nd print

281 2nd print

282 2nd print

297 Gold Edition

Modern List:

303 Gold Edition ***

307 Gold Edition ***

316 Foil

317 Foil

318 $1.50 Price Variant ***

319 $1.50 Price Variant ***

320 Wizard Gold

320 $1.50 Price Variant ***

321 $1.50 Price Variant ***

325 Newsstand Edition ***

342 Rogue Squadron Variant

350 Prismatic Foil

354 Phoenix Variant

360 DF Variant

360 HoloFoil

375 Another Universe

375 Wizard Authentic

381 DF Chrome

381 DF

381 Variant

385 Wizard Convention Variant

395 Variant

423 Newsstand Variant

429 Wizard Convention Variant

I have had it with all this variant craap! I'm just waiting for the build your own sets. Step it up, you CGC people. :pullhair:

This is all MutantKeys fault with those damn 2nd printings months ago. I knew it was the opening of the Gates of Hell, but would anybody listen? NOOOOOOO! :mad:

notice how he skipped out on copper X-Men just as it got implemented hm

I'll throw this list out there for when the sets get updated to 500:

451-500:

461 Kubert X-Babies Variant

475 Sketch Variant

492 Variant

492 Second Printing

493 Variant

493 Second Printing

494 Variant

495 Second Printing

497 Secret Skrull Variant

497 Marko Djurdjevic Variant

497 Emerald City Con Variant

500 Alex Ross Cover

500 Turner Variant

500 Dodson Variant

500 DF Variant (Alex Ross Online, different than Ross regular cover)