• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men variants the definitive set, any takers?

145 posts in this topic

I metioned price variants in my opinion... Price variants are already included as variants in the Bronze set.

As long as they're real price variants, and not regional editions or second printings.

If a comic was not available for sale on the newsstand or comic store shelf, then it's not a variant, and this bizarre preoccupation with including mail-aways, toy editions and :censored: Wizard editions is downright bizarre.

Does someone have a stockpile they're looking to flip once it hits the Registry?

Like Doc said, if he and I agree on something, you can be pretty certain it makes total sense.

If a comic was not available for sale on the newsstand or comic store shelf, then it's not a variant, and this bizarre preoccupation with including mail-aways, toy editions and :censored: Wizard editions is downright bizarre.

Does someone have a stockpile they're looking to flip once it hits the Registry?

Like Doc said, if he and I agree on something, you can be pretty certain is makes total sense.

Again with the, dare I say, voice of reason.

I like this list as well, but I would like to see some consistency. If you're gonna include the Pressman books, then #221 SMF and #246, 268 MVPs should be included as well since all of those books were not distributed through normal channels.

I included the pressman books because I believe that they were released around the same time as the originals. And I thought that the SMF and MVP books were reprints at a later period in time. If I am wrong about my assumption on the publication date of the Pressman books and they were, in fact, reprints that came out later, then I would say exclude them.

Do you have the publication date info for the Pressmans, the SMFs and the MVPs from the indicia BeachBum?

Pressman's Interiors pages and advertising are exact replicas of the originals and were released during the same time as the originals... as the months went by Pressman changed the issues to correspond to recent issues on the market. The reason why the 297 is so hard was that it was the first one offered after they pulled the Silver X-Men 11 (Which is already listed in the X-Men (1991) set) comic from the actual box set and started the mail-away coupon. It was quickly replaced by the 303 then the 307, which was the last one offered until they ran out. This explains why the 307 is so common.

The So Much Fun 221 Says 2nd print in the indicia and also has the exact same interior and advertising as the original... It has different advertising on the inside of the front cover, but the copyright of that advertising is from the same year as the original. So it was published the same year.

The MVPs were printed years later and the only advertising in them, at least my 268, is of Marvel comics. No other advertising.

The Pressman X-Men 11 is, and has been in the X-Men (1991) variant set for awhile, just because 1 of the Pressmans is rare it doesn't mean we should exclude them all. I've had many the opportunity to pick up a 297 over the past couple of years.

After this discussion this is how I see my list, my opinion:

Copper List:

248 2nd print

270 2nd print

275 2nd print

281 2nd print

282 2nd print

297 Pressman Gold Edition

Modern List:

303 Pressman Gold Edition

307 Pressman Gold Edition

320 Wizard Gold

325 Newsstand Edition (No Holofoil, buck cheaper)

342 Rogue Squadron Variant

350 Prismatic Foil

354 Phoenix Variant

360 DF Variant

360 HoloFoil

375 Another Universe

375 Wizard Authentic

377 Apocalypse Variant (connects to X-Men 97)

381 DF Chrome

381 DF

381 Variant

385 Wizard Convention Variant

395 Variant

423 Newsstand Variant (This is such a major price variant, $2.00 more)

429 Wizard Convention Variant

461 Kubert X-Babies Variant

475 Sketch Variant

492 Variant

492 Second Printing

493 Variant

493 Second Printing

494 Variant

495 Second Printing

497 Secret Skrull Variant

497 Marko Djurdjevic Variant

497 Emerald City Con Variant

500 Alex Ross Cover

500 Turner Variant

500 Dodson Variant

500 DF Variant (Alex Ross, different than Ross regular cover)

Just remember one thing - if there was only one Newsstand edition, then it's NOT a variant.

Those 25-cent/regular ones qualify, as there were multiple newsstand versions, but otherwise, it's a standard Newsstand Edition. To state otherwise is just mis-using the "variant" term even more than you guys already are. (shrug)

Just remember one thing - if there was only one Newsstand edition, then it's NOT a variant.

Those 25-cent/regular ones qualify, as there were multiple newsstand versions, but otherwise, it's a standard Newsstand Edition. To state otherwise is just mis-using the "variant" term even more than you guys already are. (shrug)

Yeah, I think the 423 should stay in, .25 / 2.25 versions.

I don't really care about the 325 either way... To me though it is pretty different since it doesn't have holofoil lettering, it's a full buck cheaper, and doesn't have a cardstock cover. But hey, it's just my opinion. :)

Well, I am of the opinion that all this is getting too complicated and I am seriously considering going back to the old fashioned notebook and pencil method and screwing the registry altogether. Even my favorite Astonishing X-Men set has that stupid Astonishing X-Men Saga listed in it and I don't really want it, but to have a complete set I have to buy it.

I think today is the day I revolt. rantrant

Well, I am of the opinion that all this is getting too complicated and I am seriously considering going back to the old fashioned notebook and pencil method and screwing the registry altogether. Even my favorite Astonishing X-Men set has that stupid Astonishing X-Men Saga listed in it and I don't really want it, but to have a complete set I have to buy it.

I think today is the day I revolt. rantrant

astsaga.jpg

;)

It's nothing but a giant reprint. This is where I draw the line. I will no longer allow the registry to dictate to me what I buy. If I don't want it, I ain't buying it. it. :sumo:

Hey, I'm surprised it's in there too... It's not even a reprint, it's like a recap of issues 1-12 with a cover gallery. It doesn't belong.

Now my Giant Size Astonishing X-Men 1 CGC 9.8 Inked Variant is a different story...

:cloud9:

Here are a few more "Newsstand Price Variants".

Was there a regular newsstand edition?

Yes, except they are just more expensive. Back then the direct edition was $2.25 versus $2.99 for newsstand edition.

Today Marvel charges $3.99 for newsstand edition for a few select titles. Usually X-men and Amazing Spider-man.

The problem will always be trying to get a HG copy of any newsstand edition.

I really think some of you VH's (variant haters) are way out of line, why does it bother you what happens to the variant sets unless you are planning to buy or get variants graded?

You have the regular / non variant sets so why are you so upset? I think some people just like making a drama out of nothing.

VH1 & VH2 stop whinging like old tarts and be constructive :baiting:

Well, you asked for opinions and that's what you got. Maybe next time you should just consult with only a couple of people through PMs and come up with an idea that's suitable for everyone, wanker.

Yes, except they are just more expensive. Back then the direct edition was $2.25 versus $2.99 for newsstand edition.

So what was the newsstand variant priced at?

I really think some of you VH's (variant haters) are way out of line, why does it bother you what happens to the variant sets unless you are planning to buy or get variants graded?

No, I love true variants - it just bugs me when crackheads mistakenly refer to mail-in, give-away, 2nd/3rd/etc.-prints, errors, freebies, toy editions, premiums, manufactured collectibles, newsstand editions. etc. comics as "variants".

So what was the newsstand variant priced at?

$2.99