• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men variants the definitive set, any takers?

145 posts in this topic

Well, you asked for opinions and that's what you got. Maybe next time you should just consult with only a couple of people through PMs and come up with an idea that's suitable for everyone, wanker.

Opinions on how to correct and improve the X-Men variant sets not the vilification of me, this thread and 'variants/slightly different than the original comics' because you don't like me.

All I want is for CGC to correct the errors in the present sets and add/ delete a few 'variants' if the OTHER collectors see fit.

To be perfectly honest I tire of this now and wish to put it to bed, unless you want to call me another name, tosser perhaps or master bater, tool, yaada yaada yaada

Here are a few more "Newsstand Price Variants".

Was there a regular newsstand edition?

Yes, except they are just more expensive. Back then the direct edition was $2.25 versus $2.99 for newsstand edition.

So what was the newsstand variant priced at?

$2.99

So what's the difference between the regular newsstand edition and the newsstand variant? (shrug)

Well, you asked for opinions and that's what you got. Maybe next time you should just consult with only a couple of people through PMs and come up with an idea that's suitable for everyone, wanker.

Opinions on how to correct and improve the X-Men variant sets not the vilification of me, this thread and 'variants/slightly different than the original comics' because you don't like me.

All I want is for CGC to correct the errors in the present sets and add/ delete a few 'variants' if the OTHER collectors see fit.

To be perfectly honest I tire of this now and wish to put it to bed, unless you want to call me another name, tosser perhaps or master bater, tool, yaada yaada yaada

I apologize, been doing that a lot lately. I really don't care what you guys do. Just because it's in a Registry set doesn't mean I have to collect it.

Here are a few more "Newsstand Price Variants".

Was there a regular newsstand edition?

Yes, except they are just more expensive. Back then the direct edition was $2.25 versus $2.99 for newsstand edition.

So what was the newsstand variant priced at?

$2.99

So what's the difference between the regular newsstand edition and the newsstand variant? (shrug)

There is only one newsstand edition. I call them Newsstand Price Variants cause of the price difference.

There is only one newsstand edition. I call them Newsstand Price Variants cause of the price difference.

So it's not a variant, right? It's just the standard newsstand edition... doh!

So it's not a variant, right? It's just the standard newsstand edition... doh!

Standard newsstand edition with a different price than the direct edition. That's why I call them price variants.

What would you call them? (shrug)

What would you call them? (shrug)

What they are, a standard newsstand edition - which just happens to be priced different than the direct copy.

I'm not saying that newsstand copies are not collectible, these are just not variants.

Here's an example of a true Newsstand Price Variant:

Standard Newsstand Edition (also priced differently than Direct, but it's still the standard edition sold at retail everywhere):

avengers77.jpg

Newsstand Price Variant (50-cent logo):

avengers77.2.jpg

In order for there to be a "variant", there needs to be at least TWO different versions of the EXACT SAME comic book, distributed to the EXACT SAME region using the EXACT SAME distribution method.

UK editions aren't variants, standard newsstand editions are not variants, Canadian editions are not variants, mail-ins are not variants, toy premiums are not variants, 2nd prints are not variants, give-aways are not variants, etc.

So what about this disproves my point - there is a "slight difference between the two issues" in the example I posted, while in yours, there is only ONE newsstand copy, hence there can be no variant.

Your "variant definitions" are really jerking all over the place, and you need to come down someplace:

1) Either ALL newsstand editions are variants. :screwy:

2) Only multiple newsstand editions (like above) can be variants.

This "if the price is different than the Direct, then a standard newsstand edition is a variant" is stupid, as to newsstand buyers, it's the only newsstand copy you can find. Tell someone who ONLY buys newsstand editions that it's a "variant" and they'll ask you "where the regular newsstand copy is".

So what about this disproves my point - there is a "slight difference between the two issues" in the example I posted, while in yours, there is only ONE newsstand copy, hence there can be no variant.

Your "variant definitions" are really jerking all over the place, and you need to come down someplace:

1) Either ALL newsstand editions are variants. :screwy:

2) Only multiple newsstand editions (like above) can be variants.

This "if the price is different than the Direct, then a standard newsstand edition is a variant" is stupid, as to newsstand buyers, it's the only newsstand copy you can find. Tell someone who ONLY buys newsstand editions that it's a "variant" and they'll ask you "where the regular newsstand copy is".

Totally agree with JC, the only newsstand variants I see are the 423, and maybe the 325. I say the 325 since it is non-holofoil, and not printed on cardstock. All the other newsstands have the same covers. I have a few newsstand issues with other price points graded in my collection and I don't consider them variants.

I brought up the 318-321 Non-Deluxe Price Variants earlier in the discussion since they were Direct editions, just like their Deluxe counterparts. They even have use different paper stock in the interior. The Deluxe editions have glossy pages as opposed to the standard pages in the Non-Deluxe issues.

My reasoning for calling NSE price variants is simply because there is a price difference.

One is $2.99 and the other is $3.99. They are the same exact books except for the price. Hence price variant.

Also not all NSE are priced $3.99, most are priced $2.99. Right now only ASM and X-men are priced at $3.99

Here's a sample:

60131-Spidey551NS.jpg.329e48d6cfe36fe4445c90c8f8511670.jpg

60132-Spidey550DE.jpg.4959f60c8e8fdd3808a4695b06490614.jpg

My reasoning for calling NSE price variants is simply because there is a price difference.

One is $2.99 and the other is $3.99. They are the same exact books except for the price. Hence price variant.

Also not all NSE are priced $3.99, most are priced $2.99. Right now only ASM and X-men are priced at $3.99

Here's a sample:

Also as a sidebar, the DE has "Direct Edition" over the bar code and the NSE has "Amazing Spider-man".

One is $2.99 and the other is $3.99. They are the same exact books except for the price.

But these are visibly NOT the EXACT same book - obviously one is a Direct copy and the other is a Newsstand copy.

If you have trouble grasping this concept, think of it in terms of a buyer who only buys from the newsstand. He owns years and years of newsstand-only copies - how would that book ever be viewed as a "price variant" to him?

In fact, using your logic, the Direct Copy would be the variant, which is why your logic doesn't work.

But these are visibly NOT the EXACT same book - obviously one is a Direct copy and the other is a Newsstand copy.

Why do you omit the fact that there is a price difference of the same exact book produced by the same company.

In fact they are both released the same month about three weeks apart.

If that is not a variant of a specific product, then what is? (shrug)

If both books came out with the same exact price tag, then I would understand your point.

Once again, hence the word variant.

I really think some of you VH's (variant haters) are way out of line, why does it bother you what happens to the variant sets unless you are planning to buy or get variants graded?

No, I love true variants - it just bugs me when crackheads mistakenly refer to mail-in, give-away, 2nd/3rd/etc.-prints, errors, freebies, toy editions, premiums, manufactured collectibles, newsstand editions. etc. comics as "variants".

JC, come on now. I am not a crackhead. The term "variant" is not defined and different collectors discussing differing opinions on how to define variant is not about right and wrong. For instance, in my mind, different cover art is one of the key characteristics of a "variant." I don't consider the bronze "price variants" to be variants because they were part of a marketing test.

I think that the most productive way to move this issue/debate forward is to talk about what books most collectors consider to be part of the run rather than argue about what does, or does not, meet a definition of "true variant." Otherwise, the easiest solution would be to just include everything and collect what you want or not, like Doc said.

My post was intended to put forth my assessment of the general collector viewpoint about what is part of the run and see who agrees/disagrees with my assessment and why. For instance, I think that very few collectors consider the toy books to be part of the run. Or the reprints that come years after the original. Many consider second prints to be part of the run, particularly if they have a different cover. I think many collectors see a second print with different cover art as no different from an alternate cover. But I think they feel different about a second print that looks identical to the original and can only be identified by reading the fine print in the indicia on the first page. Very few collectors believe that a complete run requires both the newsstand and direct editions unless there is something substantially different between the books besides the UPC box (like foil or no foil). Pence price copies are also not considered par tof the run by most collectors. I feel the same way about Canadian price variants but many seem to see only a very small difference between Canadian price variants and test-market price variants. I think most consider "sendaway" premiums to be part of the run. But again, I think a key issue is whether the cover is different. Virtually all Wolverine collectors consider the Nabisco variant to Wolverine 145 with the different cover art by Bill Sienkiewics to be a key to the run. But virtually nobody considers the Nabisco sendaway version of Marvel Tales 137 to be a part of that run. And I think the difference in opinion is primarily because the Nabisco sendaway to Marvel Tales 137 has the exact same cover except for the UPC box.

2c

After this discussion, I feel we need to vote on removing the 268 MVP reprint, and adding the remaining Pressmans, 303 & 307.

We also need to remove the mislabled 360 "variant" and combine the mislabled 381 Holofoil issues into the 381 Chrome slot where they belong.

Opinions?

After this discussion, I feel we need to vote on removing the 268 MVP reprint, and adding the remaining Pressmans, 303 & 307.

We also need to remove the mislabled 360 "variant" and combine the mislabled 381 Holofoil issues into the 381 Chrome slot where they belong.

Opinions?

My vote goes #268 out (as long as the book can still be registered in the reg slot), #303 & #307 pressmans in