• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best DC WWII cover?

87 posts in this topic

I know, it's kinda wussy to ask a "what's the best" question, but I really can't decide which I like best.

Timely seemed to have 95% war covers, while DC on the other hand, only put out a handful and often preferred to have their characters stay out of the war. (as an aside, I like to think that developing a "DC Universe" like this, with plenty of characters and super-villains is what kept them afloat during the post-war/pre-SA days, but...) I suppose that lends them more readily to a ranking of the covers by collectors. I thought I'd solicit opinions from the boards. A partial list of the top ones would be Supe 14 (just an iconic image), 17 (again, iconic, and SOOO symbolic), maybe even 23, 26, Action (take your pick, but probably 43, 44, 48, 63), and one of my personal faves, Boy Commandos 9 (again, just iconic). But some may prefer Batman 15, Sensation 13, WF 7 or 9, or maybe I'm missing some. I've kind of narrowed mine down to Supe 14, 17, and BC 9, but what are everyone else's thoughts?

I think when selecting "best" war covers, you almost have to break them down into three categories:

1) Battle scenes. Whether it's Supes stopping a tank in its tracks(Action #40, #44, #59), or a plane in mid-air(#48 and #63), or or helping a courier cross a battlefield(#66).

2) The homefront. War bond covers(World's Finest #8), victory garden covers(World's Finest #11), espionage covers(Action #37).

3) Patrotic covers. This would include classic images like Superman 12, 14, & 29.

True, I suppose that does add an element to it. Certainly with the symbolism. I always thought having Supes standing on a globe made it even more so.

I love the BC 9 for a similar reason, with the "rising sun" kind of setting in the background as the Japanese surrender.

59560-boycommandos9mha.jpg.95ca8d0e68f321678dbf2412028d6398.jpg

True, I suppose that does add an element to it. Certainly with the symbolism. I always thought having Supes standing on a globe made it even more so.

I love the BC 9 for a similar reason, with the "rising sun" kind of setting in the background as the Japanese surrender.

mmmm church :cloud9:

Dan, What a underated cover BC # 9 is. I've always loved that one, even own one myself. :cloud9:

Jeff, that Supe # 17 ain't no slouch either, great cover. (worship) Superman # 14 may be the best imo for me. I don't own one yet. Maybe in the near future.

There are so many great ones like you said , but if I had to pick one from my collection it would be Exciting comics # 39 . It's disturbing with Nazi's poisioning childrens candy , there also orphaned, showing the horrors of war. Schomburg really was at his best on that cover . Same with Cap # 46.

Does More Fun #54 meet your criteria for a WWII cover? If it qualifies, that might be my vote. But then there's Adventure #79, and Boy Commandos #6...

Tough question. I'll think about it.

it would be Exciting comics # 39 . It's disturbing with Nazi's poisioning childrens candy , there also orphaned, showing the horrors of war.

Also disturbing is Fighting Yank #13, where Japanese soldiers let poisonous snakes loose on a group of bound children.

Your right about that one. (thumbs u Forgot about that one. Another one I like, that I own is Fighting Yank # 10 , pretty harrowing torture cover.It makes you sweat looking at it.

How about MMC # 40 & #44? Zepplin cover , Superplane cover for iconic covers.

I have copies also of them , true WW2 classic covers.

Action 44 has been mentioned, so here's a scan of what the cover looks like. It's too difficult to come up with my most favorite DC war cover, but this one's in my top 5 for sure.

Act44b-1.jpg

Superman 14, hands down for me, is the best comic cover ever. I was privileged to see the original art last summer at a museum in NYC. I think it's owned (or was owned) by Jerry Robinson, but not certain. of that.

Superman 14, hands down for me, is the best comic cover ever. I was privileged to see the original art last summer at a museum in NYC. I think it's owned (or was owned) by Jerry Robinson, but not certain of that.

Superman 14, hands down for me, is the best comic cover ever. I was privileged to see the original art last summer at a museum in NYC. I think it's owned (or was owned) by Jerry Robinson, but not certain of that.

It belongs to Jerry.

Action 44 has been mentioned, so here's a scan of what the cover looks like. It's too difficult to come up with my most favorite DC war cover, but this one's in my top 5 for sure.

Act44b-1.jpg

I'll take that book when you're done with it. :shy:

Just a few weeks after Pearl Harbor was bombed and the U.S. entered the war, Fawcett came out with this one on Capt. Marvel #8, which is my favorite cover.

I know Fawcetts have fallen out of style, but they produced some incredible covers during the war.

CaptainMarvel8CGC50.jpg