• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best DC WWII cover?

87 posts in this topic

I'm thinking that so far DC War books trump Timely's...

I am thinking you've been drinking again.

Perhaps he's just landed on his head one time too many.

All of the above examples are great, but my favorite DC war cover is Superman 23.

superman23.jpg

Superman actually looks pizzed off!

On most of the DC war books Superman is smiling as he "Slaps a Jap" or Batman is happy as he hands out ammo on the front lines.

But here Superman is definitely getting ready to kick some Nazi asses.

And they obviously know it.

this is indeed the best one. the tall geek has a good eye.

All of the above examples are great, but my favorite DC war cover is Superman 23.

superman23.jpg

Superman actually looks pizzed off!

On most of the DC war books Superman is smiling as he "Slaps a Jap" or Batman is happy as he hands out ammo on the front lines.

But here Superman is definitely getting ready to kick some Nazi asses.

And they obviously know it.

this is indeed the best one. the tall geek has a good eye.

He's pizzed, I think, because the ratzis sunk a civilian vessel.

one more before I go to bed, since it's been mentioned but not shown, Action #63, probably my 2nd fav DC war cover. sorry it's PGX, but it's the only PGX book I have, and I would gladly upgrade it to a nice CGC copy, but this issue doesn't come up for sale too often. Jeff's got a nice one, maybe he'll post his.

ActionComics63.jpg

I think this one might be my favorite. It's got "angry Superman" like the sub one, but with a purer action shot and good perspective on the ship below. I just wish Burnley had drawn a background in where he chose to block yellow.

one more before I go to bed, since it's been mentioned but not shown, Action #63, probably my 2nd fav DC war cover. sorry it's PGX, but it's the only PGX book I have, and I would gladly upgrade it to a nice CGC copy, but this issue doesn't come up for sale too often. Jeff's got a nice one, maybe he'll post his.

ActionComics63.jpg

I think this one might be my favorite. It's got "angry Superman" like the sub one, but with a purer action shot and good perspective on the ship below. I just wish Burnley had drawn a background in where he chose to block yellow.

Fighting Yank 6 came out five months after Action 63 -

so Schomburg could have seen the Action, seen how it could be improved upon and filled in the background for him...

fightingyank6.jpg

Schomburg just doesn't do it for me. Too cartoony. I appreciate the impact his work would've had on little kids in that era, but in my mind he's more "Richie Rich" than "Flash Gordon" in terms of artistic style.

Who is you favorite golden age cover artist (from an impact standpoint)?

Schomburg just doesn't do it for me. Too cartoony. I appreciate the impact his work would've had on little kids in that era, but in my mind he's more "Richie Rich" than "Flash Gordon" in terms of artistic style.

interesting analogy

Good question. I like the guys who use a fairly heavy amount of shading to make the pictures look more real. Raboy, Flessel, Everett, Ray, Burnley, all those guys were excellent at the style I like, while Schomburg typically wasn't. In my mind his covers look too flat and cartoony.

Not to flood the board with images or to derail the thread, but here are some examples. The look doesn't have to be dark, necessarily, but it needs to have clear depth.

detective11.jpg

funnypages38.jpg

funnypagesvol37.jpg

headline9.jpg

whiz18.jpg

Good question. I like the guys who use a fairly heavy amount of shading to make the pictures look more real. Raboy, Flessel, Everett, Ray, Burnley, all those guys were excellent at the style I like, while Schomburg typically wasn't. In my mind his covers look too flat and cartoony.

Not to flood the board with images or to derail the thread, but here are some examples. The look doesn't have to be dark, necessarily, but it needs to have clear depth.

funnypages38.jpg

(worship)

funnypages38.jpg

(worship)

That book is so awesome in-hand. Really good stories too. :cloud9:

funnypages38.jpg

(worship)

That book is so awesome in-hand. Really good stories too. :cloud9:

I have the Larson 37....the larson 38 would look so good beside it :baiting:

All great artists! The comment about "depth" made me think of this page that I ran across on the Horrors of it All blog:

Lagoon5.jpg