• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded prices for ungraded books

64 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what does everyone here think about sellers charging graded prices on books that have not been graded? There's been more than a few times when I see a book that I like and the price tag is astronomical! I ask why and the seller says,

"Well, a CGC 9.8 goes for that much." to which my response is usually:

"I don't know if you've noticed, but your book isn't graded." and then I'm almost guaranteed to here this reply:

"I grade a hell of a lot better than CGC. Who says they're the last say on what makes a grade?"

Now to be honest, I'm not crazy for graded books. It really doesn't appeal to me unless you really have something special, but to bash CGC grading standards on one side and then still accept the going rates for their graded prices seems very hypocritical to me. And to charge a graded price on an ungraded book is just... ridiculous! That's why there's two obvious and distinct sets of pricing! Ugh, I'm going on a rant now....

Most of the dealers that hate CGC do so because their stock has been annihilated price wise because they can't (or rather won't) grade to today's standards and would rather charge an arm AND a leg for their over-graded trash.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what does everyone here think about sellers charging graded prices on books that have not been graded?
Don't buy from them.There are other sellers that dont overprice their books.

you have to challenge those sellers to step outside

then defend the honor of CGC!

If you win and still want their books, now you can negotiate with their helper! lol;)

Now see, I don't have a problem paying slabbed prices for a raw book if I believe the book is in grade (shrug)

one of things that is kind of funny is that the OS is higher a good portion of the time

compared to GPA (a solid source for graded book pricing).

:insane:

Now see, I don't have a problem paying slabbed prices for a raw book if I believe the book is in grade (shrug)

Me neither. There are a few people around that I'd happily pay graded prices for raw books. (You're one of them, mate. (thumbs u )

It's exactly the same book.

Unless, of course, you're buying the plastic? (shrug)

one of things that is kind of funny is that the OS is higher a good portion of the time

compared to GPA (a solid source for graded book pricing).

:insane:

Entirely true.

You owe me some more money then.

Should have had a higher asking price :baiting:

Should have had a higher asking price :baiting:

doh!

Me neither. There are a few people around that I'd happily pay graded prices for raw books. (You're one of them, mate. (thumbs u )

It's exactly the same book.

Unless, of course, you're buying the plastic? (shrug)

Exactly. It all depends on who the seller is.

You can find sellers that charge full pop GPA for an assigned grade and then the books come back graded higher than advertised. Does anyone complain about that? Happens all the time.

R.

I don't have a problem with it either.

I won't do it........

But I don't have a problem with it.

my feeling is a 9.4 is a 9.4, whether in a cgc slab or not... price should be the same?

the problem arises when a seller "thinks" they have a 9.4, but only have a 9.0 (thumbs u

my feeling is a 9.4 is a 9.4, whether in a cgc slab or not... price should be the same?

the problem arises when a seller "thinks" they have a 9.4, but only have a 9.0 (thumbs u

Except with a slab, you are paying for the plastic and the protection it provides. And you are paying for the restoration check. And you are paying for the label. And you are paying for 3 'qualified' graders to grade the book. And you are paying at least 20.00 on up for that slab and that is part of the gpa price.