• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Love for Adventure Con?

75 posts in this topic

Waited for Aurthur Suydam for 2 hours this morning and still hadn't showed up. Luckily one of the workers made arrangements for us to be first in line when he decided to show up.

He arrived finally around 3 PM. Over 4 hrs late. :frustrated: Sketches were $100 for a simple head shot and $200 for a little more. A little high I thought. So I got a few sigs and a print for $20.

Hey Tim, it was great meeting you today. It looked like you had a great plan for how you wanted to work the con today. I saw you at the head of the Suydam line. It seemed like you were there for nearly an hour. Plenty of folks in line will have to come back tomorrow or Sunday for their Suydam stuff...of course that's how it works. Come in late, create a buzz, and leave them wanting more.

$100 and $200 dollars for Suydam!!! I don't know if that's his normal price or if he was trying to emulate Golden. lol

Best thing for the buyers today was that the small crowd gave the folks plenty of opportunities to meet the stars and artists. Plenty of short lines. Saturday of course should be busier. :wishluck:

For those coming by tomorrow.....there are definately more comic dealers and overall nice books this year versus last year. Plenty of cheap boxes and still a few nice wall books too. So you hopefully can leave with "something" this year. Last year at the ADVcon I only bought one book the whole time.

I also had the opportunity for my first meet and greet with CGC staffers, uh, boss men...Paul and Bradley :hi:. I think they might have been bored silly today. Hopefully folks can give them plenty of work the rest of the weekend. If not, I'll just have to bore them with my continual presence.....What's that? I think I hear them packing up to leave already. lol

Likewise Brian! It was great to meet you too.

I will be by to see ya Saturday. Still thinking on that VOH. I was suprised at the amount of pre-code horror at the show. I didn't figure to see that much.

Mark Texeira done a beautiful Ghost Rider sketch for a friend of mine for $45. I thought that was very reasonable especially for what he got. Texeira was a blast to be around. He told us alot of his history while doing the sketch. A very nice guy!

I'm going tomorrow to get one auto for myself and meet Doug Mahnke. I won't even have anything to submit which I think is a first for a show. I really should just save the money and gas for Heroes next week.

Manke was very nice also. His sketches were $20 - $60. I think I will get one tomorrow.

:hi: I am going tomorrow hope their are lots of $1 boxes and maybe some .50 cent ones as I like to dig for those cheap bargan books. Last year was not a good show for comics hope this year is a lot better. :wishluck: Anyone have a estimate of how many comic book Dealers are their this year? :)

hm I am also thinking about bringing some of my nicer Double Cover ASM books to send with CGC for grading, How do I go about that just bring them to the CGC booth and fill out some forms? Do I need to pay in advance? and about how long is the turnaround time right now? :baiting:

:hi: I am going on tomorrow hope their are lots of $1 boxes and maybe some .50 cent ones as I like to dig for those cheap bargan books. Last year was not a good show for comics hope this year is a lot better. :wishluck: Anyone have a estimate of how many comic book Dealers are their this year? :)

hm I am also thinking about bringing some of my nicer Double Cover ASM books to send with CGC for grading, How do I go about that just bring them to the CGC booth and fill out some forms? Do I need to pay in advance? and about how long is the turnaround time right now? :baiting:

There is alot of $1 boxes. I think alot more than the previous years. Also to me, it seemed to be more dealers there than before.

Take your books to the CGC booth, fill out the info, and pay in advance. They told me 21 business day turnaround on a sig series cgc book.

I had a really good time, bought a few nice SA war books, an EC Frontline Combat, a Dell Combat, an Avengers upgrade, and a Cap #100.

A much better show as far as the number of dealers than last year!

From what I heard, the show was pretty slow today. Lots and lots of tire kickers. Apparently Graham Crackers and Chris Conklin packed up and drove back to Chicago.

doh! I guess waiting until today to go was not the best ideal after all. :(

Probably different strokes for different folks.

There are so many $1 boxes, people might have gotten picky with all the available $1 choices.

Some dealers have the same ol crud that they have from year to year...but there are certainly a couple of dealers that have some really nice high grade books/mags with decent pricing.

I've survived the weekend with the sale of a few wall books. It was a very busy day for me on Saturday.

Sunday....let the discounting begin !!!!!!!

Dang it!!! I knew I should have waited to pick up that VOH! :jokealert:

Seriously, I appreciate the nice price on that book. Very nice book!!!

I got to meet a few boardies. blutobc, finecomics, and pirate.

Thanks to finecomics for giving my friend a good deal on a MS #5. He was very happy!!!!

Here is my sketch from Doug Manke. I think a great sketch for $60

IMG_1165.jpg

One a side note does anybody know who "Daves Comics" is? He was directly behind Dale Roberts table. Large table. On Friday he was the only one with a Walking Dead #1.

Dang it!!! I knew I should have waited to pick up that VOH! :jokealert:

Seriously, I appreciate the nice price on that book. Very nice book!!!

I got to meet a few boardies. blutobc, finecomics, and pirate.

Thanks to finecomics for giving my friend a good deal on a MS #5. He was very happy!!!!

Here is my sketch from Doug Manke. I think a great sketch for $60

IMG_1165.jpg

One a side note does anybody know who "Daves Comics" is? He was directly behind Dale Roberts table. Large table. On Friday he was the only one with a Walking Dead #1.

Yeah, he is set up at all the major shows. He usually does or is affiliated with the shows in North Carolina (not heroes though). nice guy. i do not have any contact info for him though. maybe someone else does.

Adventure Con on Sunday was poor. I was told about 200 people through the door on Sunday.

Last years attendance was supposedly about 8000. I was told this year there were just over 3000 people through the door. And.....they are raising booth priced for next year....... Oh well, it was worth one shot.

Adventure Con on Sunday was poor. I was told about 200 people through the door on Sunday.

Last years attendance was supposedly about 8000. I was told this year there were just over 3000 people through the door. And.....they are raising booth priced for next year....... Oh well, it was worth one shot.

One big reason why less people came this year than last was probably because there was no StarWars celeb there. Every year except this one, there has always been at least one there.

I didn't go on Sunday either. Spent out the first two days.

OT: The reason why I ask about that Dave guy was because he was a total to me on Saturday. I went there Friday evening to see if he wanted to trade on a Walking Dead #1. I had a mid grade early FF semi-key to trade with. He then proceeded to tell me that there were less WD#1 than there was of that book. Maybe true.. maybe not?? So he didn't want to trade. No big deal. He also wouldn't come off the price either. No big deal again. I come back Saturday and the WD#1 is gone. I spoke to him and he told me that he come off the price $10. He then found out that I traded the FF to another dealer and proceeded to tell me that I got burnt on the deal. He then wanted to know what else I had to trade or sell. I guess he thought he would try and rip me off. I showed him an old label CGC 8.5 1st app of Captain Marvel. He told me that I should resubmitt it because it would come back with a new label and should only be around a 5.5. What a !!! I will never deal with this guy!!! :blahblah:

Is it because it was father's day? 200 People sounds very very low for a show like that.

Or Maybe people are saving thier $$$ for Charlotte next weekend. We will be there.

With the exception of Michael Biehn and Doug Jones, the MEDIA guest list stunk compared to 6 original star wars cast members last year. Heck the year before they have freddy and adam west to name a few. There were some decent comic artists but remember last year they had JRJR, EVS, EBAS and Noto. I have gone to these the last 6 years or so dating back to the old shopping center and this was the worst one.

Saturday felt like a friday with the traffic.

Nice meeting you guys. Friday and Saturday were ok. Sunday was a complete disaster, spent the day grading Green Lantern books. I'm pretty sure the MS 5 was biggest sale of the day, besides counting $1 book stacks.

Nice meeting you guys. Friday and Saturday were ok. Sunday was a complete disaster, spent the day grading Green Lantern books. I'm pretty sure the MS 5 was biggest sale of the day, besides counting $1 book stacks.

Wow.. You had alot of nice books too. I figured you would have done better than that.

I was afraid your location may have hurt you a little.

I wish I hadn't waited on getting that pre-code horror you had. Loose centerfold held me back on it.

:hi: right back at you Jeff. I certainly enjoyed meeting and talking to forumites Jeff and Tim(pinball) and staffers Paul and Bradley.

I wish the sellers good luck next week at Heroes.

After getting the time Sunday to look around other people's booths...I don't see the volume and quality of material as being the reason for any slowness this weekend. There was plenty of nice material to look at and deals were there to be made. Alas, I was there only to sell and hoarded my profits like a miser.

Maybe, all the comics money was being lost to the toys?

I barely had time to catch a breath Saturday and Sunday was nearly as busy even with the lower traffic. And there is no doubt that the foot traffic was down from the previous year.

Bad Timing??(Father's Day) - possible, I wished they'd try to schedule further apart from Heroes.

Bad Guests?? Depends on what you were selling. We quickly sold out of Hanna Montanna toys(thank god I was only there as a helper lol )

Bad Economy?? maybe, everyone's starting to feel a gas crunch

For the two people who are probably left reading this thread..I'd like to add that I was located across from Michael Golden the whole weekend. Yes, he charges more than the average artist although Suydam seemed to charge the same. But anyway, after all the internet talk of how bad a signer he was...I noticed that he was very polite and approachable to everyone that I saw at his table. Could he have changed his ways due to the bad publicity....sure. But based on this one weekend's observation I feel that it is possible for me to once again enjoy a Golden book despite the whole "Virue" fiasco this past year. 2c