• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So who bought the VF Batman #1 for 100K?

45 posts in this topic

2 answers to 2 questions.

The Batman #1 was graded last week. It is not the "ugly" 8.0 copy.

The Detective 27 7.0, which we sold about 6 months ago, had been on the census for about 2 years.

S

Thanks for the offer on the book. Oh, thats right I wasn't offered the book. I guess it is probably because I do not collect Batmans

Batman Registry sets

I do not understand what your problem is with me but I guess I should just continue doing business with people who value good customers.

bullet's batmans are the best I have seen!

Where is the understatement of the year icon?

WOW! (worship)

Batman #1 + 1940 + CGC graded 8.0 + Unrestored + OW/W =

Couldn't think of a better place to spend $100,000 on a single book. The buyer must be thrilled...I know I would be

I have to agree. Seems like a fair price for a killer book.

Batman #1 + 1940 + CGC graded 8.0 + Unrestored + OW/W =

Couldn't think of a better place to spend $100,000 on a single book. The buyer must be thrilled...I know I would be

I have to agree. Seems like a fair price for a killer book.

another pretty nice 8.0 sold or $80K a few months ago (thumbs u

Speaking of ugly/nice 8.0s, this 7.5 is one of the best potential 8.0s I've seen.

Heritage 7.5

knowing 1st hand how tough CGC is on dust shadows and minor tears ( bottom edge / center / front cover ), this nice VF-ish looking book is probably capped at VF- for good with them.

Sure is nice though...especially structually

2 answers to 2 questions.

The Batman #1 was graded last week. It is not the "ugly" 8.0 copy.

The Detective 27 7.0, which we sold about 6 months ago, had been on the census for about 2 years.

S

Thanks for the offer on the book. Oh, thats right I wasn't offered the book. I guess it is probably because I do not collect Batmans

Batman Registry sets

I do not understand what your problem is with me but I guess I should just continue doing business with people who value good customers.

Maybe pick up the phone before making this post? Just a thought.

I have. I will be having a chat with Steve but he unfortunately is not the only dealer guilty of this but he happens to be the one in the crosshairs at the moment. As a salesman myself, I just do not understand those who claim to make a living from this hobby and the way they go about theie business. These are the facts

I buy high grade CGC slabs

I pay above guide for said CGC slabs

I am not afraid to set a GPA record for said CGC slabs if the book warrants it

I have done business with Steve and other dealers in the past.

It is no secret what I collect (my registry sets spell it all out)

I will do a deal with a dealer for several thousands of $$

Three weeks later I see another similar book that is within my collecting parameters advertised on their website without so much as a heads up that I might care. Its not like I collect High grade Marvels like ASM where everyone is clamoring for them. I collect some of the least collected (at least in high grade) names out there.

I would love to hear from other collectors out there if they have the same experience as I do. I am not interested in specific dealers names, just if they have had similar experiences.

interesting that the Scoop! article did not reference PQ, almost as if it's not important, and only grade matters.

Stephen, if you don't mind sharing with us.....what was the PQ? I find it extremely relevant, especially on a 6 figure record breaking GA sale.

The pages were ow/white.

Don't know about you guys, but rigth there is $10k-$15k+ as far as I'm concerned.

Batman #1 + 1940 + CGC graded 8.0 + Unrestored + OW/W = :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

...and assuming you didn't pay $99,999.99 to acquire it, congrats to you too Metro

Steve

You do realise that color does not necessarily mean supple. I've had white paged books that were only just flexible, but not completely supple. I've had cream pages that were very supple. I had one off white paged book that was close to brittle. So , I think there needs to be an additional way to rate page quality, other than from the whiteness level. Any thoughts on this?

interesting that the Scoop! article did not reference PQ, almost as if it's not important, and only grade matters.

Stephen, if you don't mind sharing with us.....what was the PQ? I find it extremely relevant, especially on a 6 figure record breaking GA sale.

The pages were ow/white.

Don't know about you guys, but rigth there is $10k-$15k+ as far as I'm concerned.

Batman #1 + 1940 + CGC graded 8.0 + Unrestored + OW/W = :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

...and assuming you didn't pay $99,999.99 to acquire it, congrats to you too Metro

Steve

You do realise that color does not necessarily mean supple. I've had white paged books that were only just flexible, but not completely supple. I've had cream pages that were very supple. I had one off white paged book that was close to brittle. So , I think there needs to be an additional way to rate page quality, other than from the whiteness level. Any thoughts on this?

excellent point... the "suppleness" of paper is really what is the key... most "assume" that ow/white = most supple, but as you described, that is not always the case (most times, but not always)...experience is the only way to know, and feeling the paper... but, I believe cgc will designate even white paper that is slightly brittle as "slightly brittle"....so, in a slab, you can pretty much count on pq=suppleness.... it is raw books one but learn from

I wonder if a suppleness index could add or subtract from value.

If you are talking about breast augmentation, I am sure the doctor factors it into the price.

If you are talking about breast augmentation, I am sure the doctor factors it into the price.

will there be a perkiness factor too (shrug)

will there be a perkiness factor too (shrug)

You had me at perkiness :cloud9:

I have. I will be having a chat with Steve but he unfortunately is not the only dealer guilty of this but he happens to be the one in the crosshairs at the moment. As a salesman myself, I just do not understand those who claim to make a living from this hobby and the way they go about theie business. These are the facts

Three weeks later I see another similar book that is within my collecting parameters advertised on their website without so much as a heads up that I might care. Its not like I collect High grade Marvels like ASM where everyone is clamoring for them. I collect some of the least collected (at least in high grade) names out there.

I would love to hear from other collectors out there if they have the same experience as I do. I am not interested in specific dealers names, just if they have had similar experiences.

Bob, unfortunately this is an oft-repeated story. Usually the only time you'll hear from dealers is if they have some inventory they're desperate to move. If it's a book they know lots of people want? Don't hold your breath!

I don't know Bob from Adam but If I was a well known hi grade GA collector, wouldn't I as a dealer call him? I mean why not? Only reason I can think of is if someone else was ahead of him on the list....

R.

Bob, unfortunately this is an oft-repeated story. Usually the only time you'll hear from dealers is if they have some inventory they're desperate to move. If it's a book they know lots of people want? Don't hold your breath!

Tim,

I just do not get it. I do not collect Centaurs at all but just from reading these forums if I came across one I would know at least a few people to offer it up to first. I am not saying dealers should know who I am if I have never done business with them before, but I am talking about people whom I have spent thousands of $$ with who could not pick me out of a lineup of 2 a week after the transaction.