• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
13 13

1,524 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2024 at 12:24 PM, Bitter_Wishbone2027 said:

Quite a haul this week on the Bone front. Early run comics, BONE-BARS (not pictured), and like half of the holiday cards from Cartoon Books. Can anyone tell me more about these concept art pieces? I know they were supposed to be for the Nickelodeon project, but like when were these released? 

optimized-img-highdef-5c68ccea550c40ea9b9163428606d0e6.jpg

optimized-img-highdef-d73b734bea90406882c9db727faf15bb.jpg

optimized-img-highdef-05da08a481324495a0ed95d3bb161968.jpg

I think I've made several comments about those conceptual art pages over the years from the Nickelodeon film. I’ve never owned them myself but I think they were part of a package released by Cartoon Books. Will try to remember…

First time commenter, but huge fan of Bone. I've got my entire original run from issue 6 on. Also have everything before that in 2nd or later prints. I was lucky enough to get an original sketch of Jeff's during the Tuki Kickstarter (my prized possession). Also have a few signed copies, lots of prints with signatures (including a bunch of RASL prints) and even an arm full of Bone tattoos! Starting my journey on getting the whole series in CGC slabs. 

Also, there was a question on the concept art pieces from the scrapped Nickelodeon project (which I have framed on my wall). They were included in the Vernal Equinox (Books 1-3) Slipcase edition. 

Now my turn for a question. I just found out that when the original run was taken over by Image comics (21-27), Cartoon Books put out their own version of those books as well (some of which have different covers). The only thing I haven't been able to find is Issue 27 with the Cartoon Books imprint (instead of the Image one). Does anyone know if this exists? Thanks!

On 10/14/2024 at 1:24 PM, Derek Marantz said:

First time commenter, but huge fan of Bone. I've got my entire original run from issue 6 on. Also have everything before that in 2nd or later prints. I was lucky enough to get an original sketch of Jeff's during the Tuki Kickstarter (my prized possession). Also have a few signed copies, lots of prints with signatures (including a bunch of RASL prints) and even an arm full of Bone tattoos! Starting my journey on getting the whole series in CGC slabs. 

Also, there was a question on the concept art pieces from the scrapped Nickelodeon project (which I have framed on my wall). They were included in the Vernal Equinox (Books 1-3) Slipcase edition. 

Now my turn for a question. I just found out that when the original run was taken over by Image comics (21-27), Cartoon Books put out their own version of those books as well (some of which have different covers). The only thing I haven't been able to find is Issue 27 with the Cartoon Books imprint (instead of the Image one). Does anyone know if this exists? Thanks!

Welcome to the boards! Very glad to have you here. You’ll definitely need to show us your sketch from the Tuki Kickstarter :)

Thank you for letting us know when the Nickelodeon concept art was produced. My knowledge is definitely limited when it comes to some of the TPBs and hardcovers from that era.

Cartoon Books never released another printing of #27. They sold very few copies of their #21-26 second printings and, my guess, is that it wasn’t in their financial interest to keep going. I’ve always wondered if Jeff still drew an alternate #27 cover hm

Sorry for the glares! Here's the OA from the Tuki Kickstarter. Also my framed Concept Art images and a 10x15 print of the Issue #20 cover art with the matting signed by Jeff. I asked the folks at Cartoon Books about the print and they said it's not the original but it's a print they did for San Diego Comic Con a long time ago and the signature is definitely Jeff's. 

Bone 20 cover art.jpg

Framed Concept Art.jpg

Jeff sig.jpg

Tuki Kickstarter OA.jpg