• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, 10centcomics said:

A 3.0 AGS 14 listed by MCS on eBay for $2900 was delisted today, perhaps someone bought it via MCS' website. I did submit a best offer on the 4.5 PGX and I just accepted the counter-offer from seller. Little bit of a gamble with the PGX label but I've been looking for a copy with better color strike (my low-grade copy has a purple-hued background). Not sure what the white abrasion is around the dude's right fist is but the book still has good eye appeal.

Ahhh so you bought it. I’d been eyeing that for a couple weeks but PGX definitely made me leery. 

How low grade is your now undercopy?

On 8/12/2022 at 6:24 PM, manetteska said:

Ahhh so you bought it. I’d been eyeing that for a couple weeks but PGX definitely made me leery. 

How low grade is your now undercopy?

This was a CGC 2.5 that I cracked out (as I do with all the books in my PC). As you can see it has the purple-hued background which seems to be a common defect with this book. I wonder if this is UV fading or just a production error with the ink levels being off. 

RSA4xUH.thumb.jpg.737c276de67255a85584b48553eba331.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 6:04 PM, 10centcomics said:

A 3.0 AGS 14 listed by MCS on eBay for $2900 was delisted today, perhaps someone bought it via MCS' website. I did submit a best offer on the 4.5 PGX and I just accepted the counter-offer from seller. Little bit of a gamble with the PGX label but I've been looking for a copy with better color strike (my low-grade copy has a purple-hued background). Not sure what the white abrasion is around the dude's right fist is but the book still has good eye appeal.

I had been watching the AGS 14 CGC 3.0 on MCS for a while at 2600 or 2650.  After the Heritage Baker auction I went back to check on it and sure enough it had been bought.  I guess after the bonkers hammer price of the 6.5 at $18k, the 3.0 looked like a steal. Classic FOMO, but at least somewhat justified

On 8/12/2022 at 5:14 PM, davet75 said:

I had been watching the AGS 14 CGC 3.0 on MCS for a while at 2600 or 2650.  After the Heritage Baker auction I went back to check on it and sure enough it had been bought.  I guess after the bonkers hammer price of the 6.5 at $18k, the 3.0 looked like a steal. Classic FOMO, but at least somewhat justified

Considering the 6.0 sold for $3,000  last year, I feel like this is going to end up being a gross overpay. Hard to justify that number. Something is definitely off about that sale...

On 8/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, Joshua33 said:

Considering the 6.0 sold for $3,000  last year, I feel like this is going to end up being a gross overpay. Hard to justify that number. Something is definitely off about that sale...

I agree that 6.5 sale is a serious outlier.  I thought it would hammer between 6-7K.  Will be interesting to see what the next midgrade copy sells for after this. 

On 8/13/2022 at 2:22 PM, davet75 said:

I agree that 6.5 sale is a serious outlier.  I thought it would hammer between 6-7K.  Will be interesting to see what the next midgrade copy sells for after this. 

Yup... 3x high retail value should raise a red flag.

On 8/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, Joshua33 said:

It was a typo.  They put the decimal in the wrong place.  It actually sold for $180.00...:baiting: