• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

T'weren't me.I noticed the #38 has a rusty lower staple. I am wondering about storage issue with this collection...

I'll let you know how the two I got turn out. They certainly look fresh and glossy in the scans...

By the way I'd be astonished if Craig isn't reading this thread. (He joined the boards specifically to promote this collection after all.)

T'weren't me.I noticed the #38 has a rusty lower staple. I am wondering about storage issue with this collection...

I'll let you know how the two I got turn out. They certainly look fresh and glossy in the scans...

By the way I'd be astonished if Craig isn't reading this thread. (He joined the boards specifically to promote this collection after all.)

Ouch! He should have mentioned the rusty staple, particularly at that price. He seems to be letting the scans and the CGC grades speak for themselves.

It appears as if some books were well stored but some of the group just listed have moisture damage.

Hey, maybe we can have another round of the old "Did Baker draw the cover to Jo-Jo 25" debate!

The dead giveaway is the two male figures in the scene- classic Baker style. Also, look at the woman's hands... so elegantly drawn.

My vote: Baker did it.

016_zps8fceb729.jpg

The native looks like Baker, but Jo-Jo looks stiff and his head is too small for his body. My vote is it was Iger shop and Baker was there.

I think Jim VB argues that it was an Iger shop artist copying Baker.

Neither Overstreet nor CGC credit Baker ... but every seller with a copy does!

Hey, maybe we can have another round of the old "Did Baker draw the cover to Jo-Jo 25" debate!

The dead giveaway is the two male figures in the scene- classic Baker style. Also, look at the woman's hands... so elegantly drawn.

My vote: Baker did it.

016_zps8fceb729.jpg

The native looks like Baker, but Jo-Jo looks stiff and his head is too small for his body. My vote is it was Iger shop and Baker was there.

I think Jim VB argues that it was an Iger shop artist copying Baker.

Neither Overstreet nor CGC credit Baker ... but every seller with a copy does!

I would agree with most of the feedback that this is a partial Baker/Iger shop cover. The men in the background look 100% like Baker. The woman is very stiff as others have noted and thus is very unlikely drawn 100% by Baker.

Ouch! He should have mentioned the rusty staple, particularly at that price. He seems to be letting the scans and the CGC grades speak for themselves.

It appears as if some books were well stored but some of the group just listed have moisture damage.

I also noticed some of the moisture damage on some of the more recently posted 6th street Baker books. I am a little surprised that moisture damage doesn't drag down the grades of books as much as other types of wear and tear, especially with the possible long-term hazards of water/moisture. I would agree that the 6th street books present very well with great color but the grades vary quite a bit and I would definitely carefully inspect the books and not rely on CGC's grading to determine value and condition.

I also noticed some of the moisture damage on some of the more recently posted 6th street Baker books. I am a little surprised that moisture damage doesn't drag down the grades of books as much as other types of wear and tear, especially with the possible long-term hazards of water/moisture. I would agree that the 6th street books present very well with great color but the grades vary quite a bit and I would definitely carefully inspect the books and not rely on CGC's grading to determine value and condition.

HERE...... is an example of CGC downgrading for staple rust on a Big Apple book. If the rust doesn't migrate to paper and the rust isn't causing too much degradation of the staple they are a little more lenient. I've noticed that Metro usually seems to downgrade for staple rust also. I've picked up some really nice Atlas books from them with slight staple rust on o/w nicer books for good prices. I used to HATE staple rust, but I've learned to live with it since I've begun to pursue 50's books..... where the choices are usually between toasty attic books or damp basement books. Since I only like toast with breakfast, it was a necessary concession. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

HERE...... is an example of CGC downgrading for staple rust on a Big Apple book. If the rust doesn't migrate to paper and the rust isn't causing too much degradation of the staple they are a little more lenient. I've noticed that Metro usually seems to downgrade for staple rust also. I've picked up some really nice Atlas books from them with slight staple rust on o/w nicer books for good prices. I used to HATE staple rust, but I've learned to live with it since I've begun to pursue 50's books..... where the choices are usually between toasty attic books or damp basement books. Since I only like toast with breakfast, it was a necessary concession. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Once the rust is as bad as on that Superman book, I definitely stay away. I would say that book is a good candidate for staple replacement.

So a Cinderella Love 25 5.5 will end up going for less than a Teen-Age Romances 9 5.5? That is disturbing.

and what's with the Nance, Nancy sig on the cover. Very distinctive. I have seen that many times on random romance...and no one seems to know what that is about.

and oh yeh...which one of you jokers got the bargain?

Edited by Dr. Love

So a Cinderella Love 25 5.5 will end up going for less than a Teen-Age Romances 9 5.5? That is disturbing.

and what's with the Nance, Nancy sig on the cover. Very distinctive. I have seen that many times on random romance...and no one seems to know what that is about.

Curious why you find that disturbing? I actually see TAR 9 on more want lists than the CL 25 for hardcore Baker collectors. I feel that CL 25 was the "It" book for a while and now momentum is shifting to the TAR 9.

Regardless, both are gorgeous covers and you can't go wrong with either one.

It sure is.

I'd like to know that, as well. And how many of us, had we known where the auction would end, would've been happy to win it for $1200.? (I would have!)

Gentlemen I stand ready to tell you why, unequivocally, what is happening should not be happening! lol

Later. In the meantime, to those who are circling the 6th st copy because it is more affordable than the CL 5.5, caution is advised. There may be more copies than you know out there. Just 2 more coming in at 6.0 or better will puncture this balloon right quick. And I think we can safely say that IF they are out there, you will see them this year due to these prices.

imho the TAR 9 cover is not great - just meh. Really, more beefcake than cheesecake. The blonde is not drawn very well, far from Baker's best. No making out, no hints of violence or submission. The tropical beach setting is nice, but there are better. And what are those lines in the sky? Are they supposed to be clouds? Baker had swipes for everything, what happened there? The main thing it's got going for it is a double entendre straight out of beavis and butthead - you said hold d*ck heh heh heh

Cinderella Love 25, while not my #1 favorite cover, in terms of its artistry is so much better. It has proven itself over time as iconic (at least, until now!). More later on pricing/demand & supply. Hint: there really isn't as much supply as you think.

Gentlemen I stand ready to tell you why, unequivocally, what is happening should not be happening! lol

Later. In the meantime, to those who are circling the 6th st copy because it is more affordable than the CL 5.5, caution is advised. There may be more copies than you know out there. Just 2 more coming in at 6.0 or better will puncture this balloon right quick. And I think we can safely say that IF they are out there, you will see them this year due to these prices.

imho the TAR 9 cover is not great - just meh. Really, more beefcake than cheesecake. The blonde is not drawn very well, far from Baker's best. No making out, no hints of violence or submission. The tropical beach setting is nice, but there are better. And what are those lines in the sky? Are they supposed to be clouds? Baker had swipes for everything, what happened there? The main thing it's got going for it is a double entendre straight out of beavis and butthead - you said hold d*ck heh heh heh

Cinderella Love 25, while not my #1 favorite cover, in terms of its artistry is so much better. It has proven itself over time as iconic (at least, until now!). More later on pricing/demand & supply. Hint: there really isn't as much supply as you think.

Cannot dispute much of what is stated above, especially the beefcake vs cheesecake comment. :D In all honesty, neither would be in my top 5 Baker romance covers. Neither can hold a candle to Pictorial Romances 17 in my humble opinion. And I don't think either would be in my top 5 rarest either. But I just think there are trends and right now, TAR 9 is trending up. Will it stay there? Doubtful.

Supply is an interesting topic. After some killer high sales prices on the CL 25, the fact that more didn't come out of the woodwork might suggest supply is pretty tight. I can say that in over 20+ years of aggressive Baker hunting, CL 25 was definitely not the hardest of the CLs to acquire. But that was just my experience.

The one fun part is that Baker is coming out of the woodwork and thus hopefully supply and demand will harmonize a bit more.

You wouldn't be saying this in a last ditch effort to discourage over-the-top bidding, would you? (I mean, if you are... I hope it works. I still need a TAR 9, myself. And I agree, it's not an ultimate Baker classic cover, by any means. Just another issue I need, and it's really a bother that it's so difficult and costly to obtain.)

Can't wait!

Supply is an interesting topic. After some killer high sales prices on the CL 25, the fact that more didn't come out of the woodwork might suggest supply is pretty tight. I can say that in over 20+ years of aggressive Baker hunting, CL 25 was definitely not the hardest of the CLs to acquire. But that was just my experience.

The one fun part is that Baker is coming out of the woodwork and thus hopefully supply and demand will harmonize a bit more.

That's a pretty ambiguous statement, though. Maybe you just got lucky and bumped into a copy early on during that time period. The information that I find valuable is; during that time period, how many copies do you estimate you've seen?