• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

Happy about this one.

My scans are really dark. hm

Your scans are actually normal...they only look dark because of the contrast with the blinding white of the new label grade box :D:cool::shy:

:idea:

well congrats x2 then buddy on the 125

and new high on the tough diary secrets 11 - sweet! :applause:

the 6.5, being a sixth st, when it does surface may also prove to be less than desirable visually, if not technically. The later batches seemed to be going downhill if I remember correctly.

Thanks. Early 1950s failed DC mystery/adventure books is a great collecting niche!

Nice one Andy! You weren't the only boardie going for that book. Defect sitting on the back, front cover presenting much higher than the grade, just the way we want our 6.5's. Romance is so undervalued that Baker is still a buy at these "high prices". imh(slightly biased)o of course lol

and congrats to the new owner of the Canteen Kate #2 :applause:

I didn't pull notes, but at first glance the book looks like it could easily press out a minor roll and tie for high grade if not beat it. Solid purchase, 8.0 and better for < $500 is like printing money.

Bakerfan rolling out the slabs, you gotta love that. He picked up a lot of romance over the years, a lot of everything actually. Somebody here knows him right? I thought he was a Californian - am I thinking of the wrong guy? his star spangleds were great

Bakerfan is out of WA state. He's been picking up Bakers since some of you were in diapers. Long ago, I traded him some VERY high grade Bakers when I didn't care that much about condition or Baker stuff. I sure would love to have that Teen Age Romances #9 back again...

I don't think you have even seen his good stuff.

I have had good luck with PGX books, believe it or not.

No worse than buying raw IMHO.

With a raw, the book can be examined and returned if there's a problem.

If cracked out of a PGX holder, you're stuck.

I have a lot more faith in my abilities than PGX's.

Actually, I used to rent two of the largest safety deposit boxes they have ... but loaded with slabs they are almost immovable. Now I rent four of the next size down, for which I pay a pretty hefty fee and I also pay to insure the books. :cry:

I suppose if I was being really risk averse, I would rent boxes in four different banks. hm

Actually, I used to rent two of the largest safety deposit boxes they have ... but loaded with slabs they are almost immovable. Now I rent four of the next size down, for which I pay a pretty hefty fee and I also pay to insure the books. :cry:

I suppose if I was being really risk averse, I would rent boxes in four different banks. hm

Four banks in four different states under four pseudonyms is the way to go.

Ken

Ken

Should at least one be in Switzerland? hm

Ken

Should at least one be in Switzerland? hm

Probably a wise choice. I rent several boxes and keep them empty as well.

Happy about this one.

My scans are really dark. hm

e4c58ebd-9904-4a90-88be-6a3d3ab2d732_zpswdksqech.jpg

I ain't knocking your beautiful copy Tony but that is one of the worst Baker covers I've ever seen. I guess it is a "grey tone" but it just does nothing for me. Your mileage will vary of course...

Yeah, I hear ya. Looks like he was fooling around with a different technique that didn't pan out too well.

I think a lot of the grey tone covers in comics get mixed results. I'm not a fan of it on romance either.

The one area it seemed to hit a home run (for me at least) was at DC on their war covers.

Romance should be pretty and war dirty. Grey tone added an edge to things.

Yeah, I hear ya. Looks like he was fooling around with a different technique that didn't pan out too well.

Indeed. Very collectible, but not for everyone. Me, I like any attempt by Baker to do something different. But this shading/inking technique was tried out by others, much more successfully. It can be striking.

And re: grey tone - there were none in romance. Not surprisingly, a couple of DC's came close.

Indeed. Very collectible, but not for everyone. Me, I like any attempt by Baker to do something different. But this shading/inking technique was tried out by others, much more successfully. It can be striking.

And re: grey tone - there were none in romance. Not surprisingly, a couple of DC's came close.

What Baker was using was a textured board that when applied with ink on dry brush gave a stiple tone. Grey tone is a wash painting, i.e. watered down ink applied on board. eg Cindy 37.

What Baker was using was a textured board that when applied with ink on dry brush gave a stiple tone. Grey tone is a wash painting, i.e. watered down ink applied on board. eg Cindy 37.

For DC Silver Age "greytones" there are three primary techniques: gouache paint, watered-down inks and pebble-board with dry brush or charcoal. Some, not surprisingly, therefore put GA/Atomic drawn on textured board into the greytone category.

Some fresh slabs back from Sarasota. Grades pretty much hit my predictions.

I noticed how these new slabs do scan darker. More use of the contrasting than previous scans.

photo APC 8_zpses6nba1e.jpg

photo APC 15_zpswsocpabw.jpg

photo CIND LOVE 27_zpshyfqqyc8.jpg