• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,324 posts in this topic

:roflmao:

Jus' funnin' with ya... :jokealert:

So...you never tell ME when you have Baker books...is Sqeggs getting special treatment, or what? :cry:

Everyone is special in their own way. :whee:

Sqeggs happened to be a little more special on that book.

Some of you probably saw this one on eBay.

s-l1600_zpsq5v1ciyb.jpg

Agree with the seller's argument that we should consider it a Baker cover? (GCD does credit Baker.)

This is a nice copy of Love Romances No. 93 from Atlas (Marvel) Comics from Mayl 1961. This issue features a Matt Baker/Jack Kirby?Vincent Colletta cover. This cover art was first used on Love Romances No. 79. It was reworked a little with Kirby adding the girl in the background and the rest of the composition. At the end of his career and right before he died, Matt Baker was working in the Vincent Colletta studio and producing love stories for Atlas/Marvel that are highly prized today. Even though this cover has been reused, it is still a Matt Baker.

Some of you probably saw this one on eBay.

s-l1600_zpsq5v1ciyb.jpg

Agree with the seller's argument that we should consider it a Baker cover? (GCD does credit Baker.)

This is a nice copy of Love Romances No. 93 from Atlas (Marvel) Comics from Mayl 1961. This issue features a Matt Baker/Jack Kirby?Vincent Colletta cover. This cover art was first used on Love Romances No. 79. It was reworked a little with Kirby adding the girl in the background and the rest of the composition. At the end of his career and right before he died, Matt Baker was working in the Vincent Colletta studio and producing love stories for Atlas/Marvel that are highly prized today. Even though this cover has been reused, it is still a Matt Baker.

Those stories inked by Baker and others (about 75%) are excellent. The remaining stories are inked by Colletta, and can barely be distinguished from Colletta's own work.

New slew of Baker romances appeared on ebay, all from the same seller, all low grade with big prices. Looks like the seller got a collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARTIME-ROMANCES-July-1951-No-1-Matt-Baker-art-36pgs-Complete-/371484740294?hash=item567e374ac6:g:xfoAAOSwo0JWQ4qc

Yeah, I saw those. I think it's fair to say that they are "fully priced"! :D

Yeah, and the funny thing is...all of them are C-R-A-P! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

The day I pay those prices for garbage is the day you know I've become senile... :sumo:

Wow. I agree they are high priced. But ? Garbage? You must have high standards.

Yeah, my standards are so high I need a ladder to reach them...but seriously, no, I will take lower grade books, but very few of those were desirable issues at desirable prices...I'm trying to not buy into these high prices for Baker books. I know most of them are not rare or scarce. The Baker price gouging is ridiculous and needs to stop...

Why do you suppose that Teen-Age Romances #10, which evidently sold for over $400. on eBay not too long ago, is back up for sale again already? Did the winner bail? Did the seller's shill bidder get stuck with the book?

No... actually, it looks as though the book has sustained a rather large tear along the spine at the top of the front cover! Wonder how that happened?

Edited by 29dukedog

Why do you suppose that Teen-Age Romances #10, which evidently sold for over $400. on eBay not too long ago, is back up for sale again already? Did the winner bail? Did the seller's shill bidder get stuck with the book?

Well, the winning bidder has a lot of feedback and the price doesn't seem out of line for a very tough book -- only three copies on the census, with none higher than 5.0. Still there doesn't seem to have been enough time for the book to have been received and returned. Something else seems to have scotched the deal. hm