• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,610 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I love the Kates.  I think he did some great work on them.  And for some reason, I think he really enjoyed himself drawing an attractive woman in an Army setting.  Just an impression from the exuberance of some of his work on the stories. 

These stories also showed off Baker's sense of humour. Along with Skygirl, he had a great comedy touch.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, comicnoir said:

Did anyone see Tar 13 listed on ebay get pulled after one bid? Low grade copy but you never see it.

There was also this TR 43 a couple weeks back, that appeared and vanished just as quickly.  Given how high the BIN was, it makes me wonder how much the book went for privately...  hm  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teen-Age-Romances-43-Matt-Baker-Cover-Art-Rare-3rd-to-Last-Issue-/232632853153?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=nTE0FMFJqCVBDLLCB4tf5gQdAOw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

3 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Congratulations- a beauty. One of my first ebay wins, I won in a romance lot. Only book I wanted. Too bad it was packed without backing boards and the postman bent and shoved it into my mailbox.:cry:

That sucks, it's happened to me too.  Conversely, I've also received high grade books packed with no bag, no board, and no protection whatsoever (apart from a manila envelope)- and the book arrived without a sign of stress.  It's all in the hands of the Gods of Transit, I guess.  

42 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:

Is this a Jo Jo 25, Phantom Lady 23 style trick question?   :)  

No.  At least, not intentionally.  But that's a good point.  Baker has usually been credited with the Vooda covers, but are they in fact his work?  Do we have a definitive conclusion on that? 

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

No.  At least, not intentionally.  But that's a good point.  Baker has usually been credited with the Vooda covers, but are they in fact his work?  Do we have a definitive conclusion on that? 

I don't think any of those Vooda covers are Baker.  Pretty certain most folks agree although they certainly seem inspired by Baker.

5 minutes ago, BakerFanOne said:
1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:

I don't think any of those Vooda covers are Baker.  Pretty certain most folks agree although they certainly seem inspired by Baker.

Yes, I agree.  I think they are somebody else copying Baker's work.  I'm not familiar enough with the Vooda/South Sea Girl stories, but I would guess the covers are redrawn versions of panels from the stories.

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

It always amazes me that this thread is always on the first page usually near the top. It is a testament to the talent of Matt Baker that he, of all GA artists has such a strong following. 

Well, that and the fact that boardies have exquisite taste. 

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
59 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

It always amazes me that this thread is always on the first page usually near the top. It is a testament to the talent of Matt Baker that he, of all GA artists has such a strong following. 

I have been told I do taste good.  (It was some cannibal girl I dated...) 

Sorry.  :facepalm:  

5 hours ago, 29dukedog said:
6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have been told I do taste good.  (It was some cannibal girl I dated...) 

Sorry.  :facepalm:

Was she reading the book To Serve Manhm

35 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Whenever I see Vooda 20 the very poorly drawn leopard really bothers me...and I have a hard time believing Baker would have had anything to do with it.

Maybe you long time Baker experts can chime in , but he drew animals very well in addition to women right? At least that’s my impression.

Great horses. He was good at everything. None of the Vooda covers are his. The interiors are censored South Seas Girl.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Now, here is a Baker tragedy... I usually don't buy books like this but it was just so beautiful otherwise and such a classic that I didn't have, I just had to for the price. It was soooo cheap.

comflyingjenny2.jpg

Cool book and solid otherwise. Curious how you grade a book like this. Wonder if CGC would call it incomplete, missing panels type of thing ?

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Now, here is a Baker tragedy... I usually don't buy books like this but it was just so beautiful otherwise and such a classic that I didn't have, I just had to for the price. It was soooo cheap.

comflyingjenny2.jpg

:gossip:  Baker didn't draw that cover.