• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,322 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know.  At some point somebody prevailed on CGC to put Baker on the label.  This is one of a handful of covers, like Jo-Jo 25, that are Iger Shop work that it's possible Baker worked on but that are more likely other artists aping his style. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I know.  At some point somebody prevailed on CGC to put Baker on the label.  This is one of a handful of covers, like Jo-Jo 25, that are Iger Shop work that it's possible Baker worked on but that are more likely other artists aping his style. 

For what it's worth, I agree. 

8 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

hm

712016afix1-973x1517.thumb.jpg.b97f44268843497fa5b610ca85252c62.jpg

I am always a bit torn about this cover.  Elements remind me of Baker's early work on Crown, Bomber, and Lorna Doone.  But I would be hard pressed to believe that Baker did more than some miscellaneous pieces.  The comment that the face looks more like Kamen is very fair.  The difference with the Jo-Jo 25 is that I see elements that look 100% Baker such as all the supporting characters on the cover.  And the woman's face is clearly Baker on the Jo Jo 25.  Still the Flying Jenny is a cool book.

Edited by BakerFanOne

12 hours ago, MBFan said:
16 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

For what it's worth, I agree. 

8 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

I am always a bit torn about this cover.  Elements remind me of Baker's early work on Crown, Bomber, and Lorna Doone.  But I would be hard pressed to believe that Baker did more than some miscellaneous pieces.  The comment that the face looks more like Kamen is very fair.  The difference with the Jo-Jo 25 is that I see elements that look 100% Baker such as all the supporting characters on the cover.  And the woman's face is clearly Baker on the Jo Jo 25.  Still the Flying Jenny is a cool book.

Very interesting - I like this kind of stuff. You guys clearly know what you're talking about, so I wonder what lead CGC to decide to the contrary?

3 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Very interesting - I like this kind of stuff. You guys clearly know what you're talking about, so I wonder what lead CGC to decide to the contrary?

They usually follow Overstreet and he credits the cover to Baker.  So, I guess the question is who convinced Overstreet?  For years Overstreet was very shaky on Baker attributions (and romance books generally).  I'm not sure at what point he started attributing this one to Baker. 

23 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Now, here is a Baker tragedy... I usually don't buy books like this but it was just so beautiful otherwise and such a classic that I didn't have, I just had to for the price. It was soooo cheap.

comflyingjenny2.jpg

Apparently bugs are attracted to this book: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382377548502?ul_noapp=true

I remember the Flying Jenny with the missing corner! Saw it at NYCC years ago at a very low price, and couldn't decide whether or not to get it. Went back for it a few hours later and someone had already scooped it up.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

They usually follow Overstreet and he credits the cover to Baker.  So, I guess the question is who convinced Overstreet?  For years Overstreet was very shaky on Baker attributions (and romance books generally).  I'm not sure at what point he started attributing this one to Baker. 

I see, thanks Squeggs. Maybe you should send him some evidence to see if he'll consider correcting it. It's a shame to see a high profile inaccuracy in print. Happens often alas...

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

While the crowd is in the mood to play Baker/not-Baker...any thoughts on this one?  Amazing Ghost Stories 15. CGC says Baker, art of glamour and JVJ do not credit it to him, although they do for AGS 14, and 16.  Looks like Baker to me, what am I missing?

Incidentally I really like this one whoever it was.  Love the rainstorm effect, the spooked horse, the fear in the eyes.  Just a great cover.  My cruddy photo doesn't do it justice, anyone else want to post a better pic of one.  Sqeggs are you squirreling away the 9.4?

ags15gvg.jpg

Yes, that is Baker.

Some stray GPA info on GCE 12.  An 8.0 sold twice in 2007:  Once in March for $4,449 and once in October for $6,848.  The first sale has a census link and indicates the pq was LT-OW.  The second sale lacks a census link but is presumably the same book because there is currently only a single 8.0 on the census.  The second entry is labeled File copy.  The label note on the first copy is FROM THE ESTATE OF LLOYD JACQUET.

Perhaps the book was resubmitted or a new label was solicited with the File Copy notation (without a regrade).  If it was a resubmit, maybe they were lucky enough to get a better pq designation.  Either way, seems like a lot of dough for that book for 2007 and is maybe an indication that for quite a while the book has been considered by collectors to be more desirable than CL 25.

A GCE 12 1.8 sold in 2013 for $2,000.  Seems really high.  I doubt that a CL 25 in that grade would have sold for more than a few hundred at that time.

12 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Some stray GPA info on GCE 12.  An 8.0 sold twice in 2007:  Once in March for $4,449 and once in October for $6,848.  The first sale has a census link and indicates the pq was LT-OW.  The second sale lacks a census link but is presumably the same book because there is currently only a single 8.0 on the census.  The second entry is labeled File copy.  The label note on the first copy is FROM THE ESTATE OF LLOYD JACQUET.

Perhaps the book was resubmitted or a new label was solicited with the File Copy notation (without a regrade).  If it was a resubmit, maybe they were lucky enough to get a better pq designation.  Either way, seems like a lot of dough for that book for 2007 and is maybe an indication that for quite a while the book has been considered by collectors to be more desirable than CL 25.

A GCE 12 1.8 sold in 2013 for $2,000.  Seems really high.  I doubt that a CL 25 in that grade would have sold for more than a few hundred at that time.

GCE 12 has been a key romance book for decades.  CL 25 has risen in popularity only within the past ten years or so.  

27 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

GCE 12 has been a key romance book for decades.  CL 25 has risen in popularity only within the past ten years or so.  

Ppl looking for GCE 12 weren't necessarily romance collectors. It had cross genre appeal. It fetched big money before anyone knew of CL 25.

Note: the first sale of the Jacquet copy was won by Fischler. Don't know if he still owns it. Doesn't sound like it..