• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage or Comic Link pros and cons? seller and buyer.

48 posts in this topic

That is and always will be a rip off. I cannot believe how many people take it coming and going with them.

R.

There have been several occasions where a HTF book for me has gone ABOVE GPA at auction's close.

Ah yes, the 1st rule of most boardies: Thou shalt not pay above GPA.

I`ve often wondered whether people realize that if books never sold above GPA, that GPA for those books would remain static or decline after a while?

I'll pay a little bit above GPA if it's a book I've been looking for a long time and fills a big hole in my collection and it's a keeper.

There have been several occasions where a HTF book for me has gone ABOVE GPA at auction's close.

Ah yes, the 1st rule of most boardies: Thou shalt not pay above GPA.

I`ve often wondered whether people realize that if books never sold above GPA, that GPA for those books would remain static or decline after a while?

I'll pay a little bit above GPA if it's a book I've been looking for a long time and fills a big hole in my collection and it's a keeper.

Yeah, I have no problem smashing GPA if I have the $$ (not often) and it's something I want bad (very often).

R.

Heritage:

Pro: I do like the catalogs, and I like the "live" bidding aspect... from both a buying and selling perspective, that is a plus (from buying, allows a chance to win that "must" have book, from selling, allows price to be higher than if a closed bid win)...also like the archive!

The 19.5% is not a con for the buyer, because any reasonable bidder just factors that into their bid price (i.e. if they are willing to pay $100, bid $80.50, same diff)...

con: to the seller, the BP is a HUGE CON, because you only get 80.50% bid, and if you are not shrewd, you might actually pay a seller premium too :makepoint:

Comic Link:

Pro: great selection, attracting material that once only heritage did...listing prices might be high on some books on the exchange, but just offer what you want and negotiate...from a seller standpoint, 10% is a very reasonable price/commission to pay, and no buyer premium, so you/seller get 90% and don't have to collect payment, ship more than once, etc

con: outside of the non cash discount (I would like to use my CC, but don't want to lose the 3% cash discount, so I "lose" out on the miles the cc gives me) no cons for me

I am in the same camp as Rick on this; I have bought from both, but the Link gets much more business from me than Heritage. Granted, Jaster et al have terrific offerings, but the juice is just shattering.

I have dealt with Josh (ComicLink) since their inception, and have bought and sold tons of stuff with them. Outside of a lost Cap 34 (thanks for collectibles insurance!) I have had nothing but good relations with the Link. I do think it is time for Josh to do away with the 3% cash discount versus credit card thing; it's kind of bush league......just my viewpoint. (shrug)

I just kinda of scratch my head at the opposition to Heritage's 19.5 % BC.

1. How is it a rip off? 19.5%+ sellers commision does not sound like a lot of profit to me. What do you think they should make 16%, 8%, 5%?

2. Why do you even care who is getting what out of your selling price? Your max bid should be the bid + premium. If someone is stupid enough not to notice the buyers premium when bid is placed, that is their fault. They are probably buying cigarettes by the pack and fountain sodas at Quick Trip.

3. If you want the best books, from a trustworthy seller, pony up and place bids.

I have been buying from both and have no complaints. On the flip side, I have paid so called bargain prices from Ebay sellers and have been disappointed. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I just kinda of scratch my head at the opposition to Heritage's 19.5 % BC.

1. How is it a rip off? 19.5%+ sellers commision does not sound like a lot of profit to me. What do you think they should make 16%, 8%, 5%?

2. Why do you even care who is getting what out of your selling price? Your max bid should be the bid + premium. If someone is stupid enough not to notice the buyers premium when bid is placed, that is their fault. They are probably buying cigarettes by the pack and fountain sodas at Quick Trip.

3. If you want the best books, from a trustworthy seller, pony up and place bids.

I have been buying from both and have no complaints. On the flip side, I have paid so called bargain prices from Ebay sellers and have been disappointed. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

1) 10%? 12%? Something quite a few less than 19.5, that's for sure.

2) I care because it's my money and I like to know where it's going. When I shop near home, I try to support local businesses versus chains, or barring that, at least keep the money in my city. It's part of being a community. In my opinion, 19.5 is an over the top amount. As such, I won't give it to them.

3) I do not consider Heritage a trustworthy seller. But that's another issue and it's been documented ad nauseum.

1) 10%? 12%? Something quite a few less than 19.5, that's for sure.

2) I care because it's my money and I like to know where it's going. When I shop near home, I try to support local businesses versus chains, or barring that, at least keep the money in my city. It's part of being a community. In my opinion, 19.5 is an over the top amount. As such, I won't give it to them.

3) I do not consider Heritage a trustworthy seller. But that's another issue and it's been documented ad nauseum.

x2

I will play devils advocate here....I heard a heritage exec talking to a perspective consignor at sdcc in 2006.... the consignor was concerned about the 19.5%.... I didn't catch all the details (since I was eavesdropping, but with their knowledge), but I gathered that Heritage only nets about 7% or so after expenses....something about expense and cost of running of the site, the auctioneers and live auction expense, the printing and mailing of the catalogs (this number was large, if I remember, like 3%), the fact that they do absorb the 3% CC fees' etc.....so, all in all, I think 19.5% is about "Right" given all they do....

now, I am not condoning questionable bidding practices,etc, but I can certainly see their operation costing that, or am I way off (shrug)

Now, I am a big fan of clink, that is no secret, but if you compare clink's 13% (which is what it is for CC users) to the 19.5% of Heritage, and see what all you get for the 6.5% difference, maybe it is closer to being "justified"?

What exactly is the buyers premium and the seller's premium together? Something like 30%?

(shrug)

if you have quality product and can negotiate, you can not only bypass the sellers premium, you can actually get a piece of the bidders as well....

I will play devils advocate here....I heard a heritage exec talking to a perspective consignor at sdcc in 2006.... the consignor was concerned about the 19.5%.... I didn't catch all the details (since I was eavesdropping, but with their knowledge), but I gathered that Heritage only nets about 7% or so after expenses....something about expense and cost of running of the site, the auctioneers and live auction expense, the printing and mailing of the catalogs (this number was large, if I remember, like 3%), the fact that they do absorb the 3% CC fees' etc.....so, all in all, I think 19.5% is about "Right" given all they do....

now, I am not condoning questionable bidding practices,etc, but I can certainly see their operation costing that, or am I way off (shrug)

Now, I am a big fan of clink, that is no secret, but if you compare clink's 13% (which is what it is for CC users) to the 19.5% of Heritage, and see what all you get for the 6.5% difference, maybe it is closer to being "justified"?

That is what I am trying to get across. The 19.5 is a gross margin. They net nowhere near that amount after expenses. I run a small business and I guarantee you our margin is a lot higher than 19.5. Good night, retailers have margins more like 50%. I think everyone's problem is we know what their margin is. If Heritage just made it part of the price I don't think anyone would have a problem with the price they pay.

Heritage for me:

PRO: I've found a few hard-to-find HG slabs on here.

CON: Buyer's Premium: 19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $9.00 per lot) on top of your shipping cost :boo:

Comiclink for me:

PRO: Great selection and database of CGC books.

CON: BUYITNOW Prices are sometimes ridiculous. And since i live in NY i get charged sales tax! :mad:

Never understood the Cons with respect to the pricing point of view. Isn't this factor totally under your control if you simply factor this into your final price. Nobody is forcing you to look only at their hammer price or BIN price only.

It's really up to you to factor everything in and look at the full price and then simply bid accordingly.

True, but for me that doesn't change the fact that it is an excessive percentage and says a lot about the company and their business practices. Sure, I could blindly do the math and bid what I like. But I know in my head where 20% of that money is going and I think it's a rip off. The integrity of the company I give my money to matters.

So it's a huge CON for me.

So if it was an auction house reknowned for its ethics, you would be happy about the 20% then?

Wow, now people on the boards want to legislate how much profit a company is entitled to. What next, price controls?

Anyone that thinks 19.5 % is a ripout is not being realistic. I guarantee you there is not one dealer in this country that makes money selling comics less than a 19.5% markup. And that includes the dealers that sell books for a quarter. They paid a dime or less for them and make .15 cents. That is 150% markup.

I think everyone is looking to buy from the quarter box and looking for a deal and that is not what C-Link and Heritage do. But if you want high end keys you pretty much have to buy from Heritage, ComicLink, or Pedigree. They get most of the high quality stuff because they have the clout.

That is and always will be a rip off. I cannot believe how many people take it coming and going with them.

R.

Roy, as a buyer, I simply factor in the BP into the price that I'm willing to pay, so it has zero effect on how much I end up spending. I know what I'm willing to splash out, and I don't really care whether 10%, 20% or 50% of my payment ends up going into the seller's pocket or the auction house's pocket, any more than I care when I pay my insurance premiums how much is going into the agent's pocket and how much is going into the insurance company's pocket. I DON'T CARE.

As a seller, yes, it would always be nice to pay a lower commission. But it is interesting (and insulting) how some people on these boards somehow presume that people who sell on Heritage, who were smart enough to acquire and afford all the great books that they're now selling, are suddenly very stupid people who don't know how to do basic market analysis in choosing which auction house they're using to sell their books. Has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, THIS suddenly stupid seller had indeed looked at the various options very carefully and determined that the prices I would likely realize on Heritage for my books would be that much higher compared to what they would sell for on another auction site that the additional fees would be worth it?

I didn't think of it that way. With all venues...research what does well where.

I think one advantage to a seller with Heritage is their auction format. The auction does not end until people are tired of bidding. C-Link runs an ebay style format and I have been sniped on books that I would have been willing to bid higher on but time ran out and that cost the seller money.

During live auction bidding the Heritage auctioneer will take bids until you are unwilling to go higher. With CL when the time is up the time is up. So if you are willing you will get the book with Heritage. In the last C-Link auction I was willing but I did not bid high enough before time ran out. And I know your comeback would be to put in your best offer and that would not happen. In my case a book I did not have on my radar was going off a lot cheaper than I thought it would and I was feeling my way on the bid since I was looking to score a deal.

Plus on Heritage you can fax, call on the phone, proxy bid, bid through ebay, and bid live on their site. It gives you some avenues if you happen to be away from your computer when the deal is going down.

Heritage for me:

PRO: I've found a few hard-to-find HG slabs on here.

CON: Buyer's Premium: 19.5% of the successful bid (minimum $9.00 per lot) on top of your shipping cost :boo:

Comiclink for me:

PRO: Great selection and database of CGC books.

CON: BUYITNOW Prices are sometimes ridiculous. And since i live in NY i get charged sales tax! :mad:

Never understood the Cons with respect to the pricing point of view. Isn't this factor totally under your control if you simply factor this into your final price. Nobody is forcing you to look only at their hammer price or BIN price only.

It's really up to you to factor everything in and look at the full price and then simply bid accordingly.

True, but for me that doesn't change the fact that it is an excessive percentage and says a lot about the company and their business practices. Sure, I could blindly do the math and bid what I like. But I know in my head where 20% of that money is going and I think it's a rip off. The integrity of the company I give my money to matters.

So it's a huge CON for me.

So if it was an auction house reknowned for its ethics, you would be happy about the 20% then?

Wow, now people on the boards want to legislate how much profit a company is entitled to. What next, price controls?

I'd be happier.....still not exactly thrilled.

Who the eff is trying to legislate anything? It's my money, I can spend it where I choose.