• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay suspension - can anyone shed any light on this ?

36 posts in this topic

My store's ebay account just got suspended & I can't figure out exactly why - I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest why this could have happened ?

Here's the email they sent :

We regret to inform you that your eBay account has been restricted from buying or selling on eBay because it is in breach of our Seller Non-Performance policy.

Our records indicate that buyer satisfaction with your account has worsened significantly over the past 30 days. To help keep eBay a safe place to trade we have ended your open listings and temporarily restricted your account.

Your account will remain restricted for the next thirty days to allow you to settle these issues. During this time you won't be able to make any new purchases or list any items. We've ended any open listings.

***About eBay's Seller Non-Performance policy***

All eBay sellers must perform in a manner that results in a consistently high level of buyer satisfaction. If a seller is in breach of the Seller Non-Performance policy and eBay may take action against their account.

For more information about our Seller Non-Performance policy, copy this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/seller-non-performance.html

What changes have recently been made to the buyer performance policy ?

Needless to say, email queries as to the exact reason for this have been ignored, & we can't think what specifically could have caused it, plus, how are we supposed to be able to improve things if we can't do any trading ?

Morning Richard! :hi:

Looking at your ratings, you've got a 4.6/5.0 for 'shipping time' (92%) and a 4.5/5.0 for 'shipping and handling charges' (90%). Now, from how the e-mail reads, I'm going to guess that both of these percentages were a lot higher until recently but a number of recent transactions have attracted a lot lower ratings (a number of 2 or 3 out of 5s maybe (shrug) ).

Have you had any delays with posting stuff recently? Any price increases for shipping? hm

Nick

It's not a scam... eBay is cracking down. I think you fall under Higher-Volume Seller.

http://www.auctioninsights.info/ebay-seller-non-performance-policy-clarified.html

Further, SNP penalties are divided into two categories:

Low-volume sellers: Low-volume sellers are those with no more than 2 negative feedback, no neutral feedback, and less than $3000 sales volume over a 90-day period, would typically receive a 14-day full selling restriction. After the 14-day period has passed, selling privileges will be automatically reinstated. (As with all selling restrictions, the seller can continue to bid and communicate.)

Higher-volume sellers: For sellers who are not low-volume sellers, and who have a buyer dissatisfaction rate of greater than 5% (but less than 10%), the restriction is a reduction in sales volume. Sellers will be able to continue selling and listing items, up to 75% of their historical weekly volume based on their rolling 90 day history of completed sales. (This is based on dollar sales volume, not on number of items sold.) We manually review restricted accounts after 30 days to determine if there has been improvement in their satisfaction rates. If a seller’s buyer dissatisfaction rate is brought down to less than 5%, the restriction will be lifted. If the buyer dissatisfaction rate remains greater than 5%, the sales volume will continue to be reduced. Additionally, sellers whose performance substantially worsens during this restriction period may be subject to more significant consequences.

Volume restrictions are defined as “average completed weekly sales volume over a rolling 90 day period.” SNP evaluations occur during a 90-day rolling window. If you have over a 5% buyer dissatisfaction rate during the past three-months, you will incur SNP restrictions and penalties. If your dissatisfaction rate increases to 10%, you become subject to the harsher penalties listed above.

Interestingly, negative feedbacks left by non-paying bidders will still count against a seller’s buyer dissatisfaction score:

It may seem that any negative feedback from a non-paying bidder is undeserved, but this is not always the case. For example, buyers may decide not complete payment because the seller has attempted to change the terms of the transaction after the conclusion of the listing. Clearly, this is an area that is not black and white. We’re continuing to evaluate whether all types of negative feedback should be included in evaluating seller non-performance.

Looking at your ratings, you've got a 4.6/5.0 for 'shipping time' (92%) and a 4.5/5.0 for 'shipping and handling charges' (90%). Now, from how the e-mail reads, I'm going to guess that both of these percentages were a lot higher until recently but a number of recent transactions have attracted a lot lower ratings (a number of 2 or 3 out of 5s maybe (shrug) ).

Have you had any delays with posting stuff recently? Any price increases for shipping? hm

Nick

Thanks for that Nick - we have had a few delays with parcels arriving lately - transit time from the store to the post can be a few days, plus these are mostly low-value items so they go 2nd class (not our fault,but hey) - that'll be it I guess -

Nick

Thanks for that Nick - we have had a few delays with parcels arriving lately - transit time from the store to the post can be a few days, plus these are mostly low-value items so they go 2nd class (not our fault,but hey) - that'll be it I guess -

Sounds like that might be it. The other ratings are good, so it's these two that are causing the concern.

Do you give an estimated shipping time on your auctions? If not, it might be an idea to do so. If you reckon it'll take a week from auction end to receipt of goods, let them know. (thumbs u

lol

Gotta love ebay. You didn't ship on time??? Well why don't we cancel all your active listings and suspend your account and give you little to no clue as to why we did this.

So what if you are trying to run a business???? This is our website and you are at our mercy. We will get to your emails when we damn feel like it.

:screwy:

Sorry to hear but that is ebay for you. Perhaps you should ship on time and charge 46.50 for shipping :insane:

:hi:Sorry to hear this...I know when I got my books from you, shipping was fine...however, this makes me even more leery about selling overseas. Shipping times are very slow sometimes, something that cannot be helped and since you ship from England to the US, slow shipping, high cost of shipping would be an issue.

I think that the hidden star method of rating, can give some people a reason to give worse ratings than they normally would.

"Your account will remain restricted for the next thirty days to allow you to settle these issues. "

Wow, there's a catch-22!

Too bad you can't talk to the nincompoop that wrote that line.

DD

I can only guess that this is the equivalent to the strike 1 and strike 2 suspensions here on the board...if you don't play nice, go to the box and chill.

One thing I DO like about this policy change is that it will, to a degree, control the spread of vermin on the bay. Unfortuantely, buyers have already had to go through it "boot camp" style, so it comes too late for most.

Yikes. Why is there no real alternative to e-Bay for comic sellers/buyers...or is there? I am thoroughly bewildered with e-Bay's oddball policies and poor decision making. e-Bay looks like it has put an absolute strangle-hold on its sellers.

I can only guess that this is the equivalent to the strike 1 and strike 2 suspensions here on the board...if you don't play nice, go to the box and chill.

One thing I DO like about this policy change is that it will, to a degree, control the spread of vermin on the bay.

Perhaps, but there'll be a lot of collateral problems for sellers who've been unlucky to come up against buyers who either are too demanding or simply have a vendetta. I just don't see how rules which are so arbitrary can be reliably enforced, especially when the seller has no means to appeal ebay's decision.

And it's not as if quicksilver can be lumped in with unprofessional fly-by-night sellers...his record on ebay is very impressive. All this proves is that if you have an uncharacterstic blip or two difficult customers in a row, bang, your operation is suspended.

jeez louise, I have less than a 4.5 on my shipping charges and I basically charge just for postage most of the time. People are NEVER happy with shipping charges. And a lot of people seem to expect instant shipment although ebay doesn't require you to mail the package within 24 hours.

Ebay sux. Buyers don't realize that giving people 4 out of 5 in various categories could result in suspensions and the nasty ones probably do.

Many thanks for your replies - that certainly does shed light on the matter - just wish they'd be more specific in each individual case & offer advice as to how to sort it out ?

Form letters suck.

It's old-school voice mail.

I hate both.

You gotta love how eBay will close down a seller for shipping a little late but will keep those scammers like comic-keys in business for years.

And it's not as if quicksilver can be lumped in with unprofessional fly-by-night sellers...his record on ebay is very impressive. All this proves is that if you have an uncharacterstic blip or two difficult customers in a row, bang, your operation is suspended.

Agreed. I figured I didn't need to communicate the down side of this since it's been taken care of so adeptly by our board members...just trying to find one beam of light in this.

So, while we are slathering on the disgust, the fact that they are cutting out seller's livelihoods using an automated process speaks to the level of apathy eBay has for its customers.

Yikes. Why is there no real alternative to e-Bay for comic sellers/buyers...or is there? I am thoroughly bewildered with e-Bay's oddball policies and poor decision making. e-Bay looks like it has put an absolute strangle-hold on its sellers.

TONS of choices

Amazon

High Grade Comics

Pedigree Comics

Quality Comics (0% Comission for items > $100)

Bid On Comics ($50 per year flat fee or cheaper)

ComicLink

Heritage

Comic Creator Live

Sterling's Recommendation: If cost is factor, go with Quality and/or Bid on Comics.

If you want/need quick sell and/or top prices...consider Pedigree, ComicLink, and HGC. If you want to get screwed on premiums, go to Heritage. CCL has a very cool model for inventorying as well as buying/selling, but it appears to only have attracted the Modern collectors at this point.

Traditional auction sites

eCrater

blujay

The above sites are cheap and/or free. Jury is out as the maturity of these sites pales relative to eBay. They are creating a "buzz" though.

In my opinion, most people will not seek out another auction site per se and will open up their own virtual store front...the next thing will be to connect these store fronts (aka VCC style) to a "mall" with different search engines/sites.