• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay suspension - can anyone shed any light on this ?

36 posts in this topic

We would like to tell you about a new security initiative. To help protect the Community against fraudulent access to our members’ accounts, eBay has started noting which computers members typically use to conduct their buying and selling activity.

Sometime this summer, eBay will begin checking to ensure you are logging in from the same machine you have successfully used previously, whether it is a home or business computer. If you attempt to list an item from a different computer – for example, from a PC you are borrowing in a hotel or library – eBay will ask you to confirm your identity.

The best way to confirm your identity is to choose an automated phone call – either now, or in 2 minutes -- that eBay will make to the number you have registered with us. The phone call will provide you with a PIN number to use to complete the confirmation process. This allows the system to confirm it is really you logging in to list items.

If this is not possible, we will provide alternatives such as confirming through Live Chat or receiving a call to a new number. These alternate methods will require you to provide more information (such as your secret question answer).

Most sellers will need to confirm their identity infrequently. By making sure you have a current phone number and a secret question and answer on file with eBay, you can help ensure this authentication process goes quickly and smoothly.

Have a cell phone? Registering it could save you time

If you carry a mobile phone, we encourage you to add this number as a secondary phone number in your registration details, so that we can reach you when you are away from your business or residence where you normally use your trusted computer. Your secondary number will not be shared with other members and will be treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Please take a minute to update your contact information.

So, while we are slathering on the disgust

Not disgust - more like disappointment in a site which at one point got most things right.

:thumbsup: OK, so I'm farther along on the 5 phases of dealing with "not dealing with eBay anymore".

So, while we are slathering on the disgust

Not disgust - more like disappointment in a site which at one point got most things right.

:thumbsup: OK, so I'm farther along on the 5 phases of dealing with "not dealing with eBay anymore".

Not that much further....

This new regulation about having to contact ebay to list items if you're not logging in with your regular computer is yet another chronic move...I can see how it could prove to be beneficial in preventing account hijacking, but the implications as to what could follow this will be far less customer friendly.

If it ain't broke....

criminey, so much for listing the occasional item or revising an item while on a break at the office. what a PITA. are they really this stupid? if they want to just ask for an additional secret code, fine, but phone calls and all this other krap?

criminey, so much for listing the occasional item or revising an item while on a break at the office. what a PITA. are they really this stupid? if they want to just ask for an additional secret code, fine, but phone calls and all this other krap?
No kidding. If I actually wanted to talk to people, I'd leave my basement now and again!

jeez louise, I have less than a 4.5 on my shipping charges and I basically charge just for postage most of the time. People are NEVER happy with shipping charges. And a lot of people seem to expect instant shipment although ebay doesn't require you to mail the package within 24 hours.

I was charging barely over shipping for the most expensive part of the country from me and was using it as a flat rate and I was in a lowered status when they changed everything over. So instead of charging the $9.00 shipping and such and starting the bidding off at $0.99 I now start at $9.99 and give free shipping. Its ridiculous to have to absorb the extra listing fee costs and such because someone complained about a price on shipping that included Insurance, ( I don't give Insurance on my Free shipping its now optional), that was less than or equal to others shipping the same products.

11 posts in 5 years has GOT to be a record . . . hm

I don't have time to post very often, I'm too busy getting ebay parcels in the post the same minute the auctions finish - not long ago I actually got a message from a buyer asking where his books were less than 8 hours after I accepted his offer and marked the sale as completed.

I don't have time to post very often, I'm too busy getting ebay parcels in the post the same minute the auctions finish - not long ago I actually got a message from a buyer asking where his books were less than 8 hours after I accepted his offer and marked the sale as completed.

So that's what Redfern's been doing with his time? hm

Your eBay account isn't also called "quicksilver" is it?

That sounds a little like a speedster joke...