• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?? Supposed lost comic.

49 posts in this topic

What does one need to print shipping labels online?

I imagine a scale. Do you need to know all the geographical zones? Are there special sticky labels you need to line up in your printer? I always figured this would be a pain in the azz....but if you can get free delivery conf.....might be worth it.

It's a snap. A small scale is indeed the only thing you need. Once you have the package weight, you can do everything else online (usps.com) ... just type or copy/paste the recipient's address, and the site figures out the zones and prices and adds delivery confirm for free. You can use sticky labels, or else just laser print the postage form and tape it right on the package. Easy. (thumbs u

if you ship everything via flat rate priority mail boxes and envelopes you don't even need a scale. you can just print on regular paper and tape it on your envelope/box.

It is SO much easier than dealing with the post office.

On a book like this I'd make insurance and/or signature confirmation mandatory and part of the shipping price.

I imagine a scale. Do you need to know all the geographical zones? Are there special sticky labels you need to line up in your printer? I always figured this would be a pain in the azz....but if you can get free delivery conf.....might be worth it.

It's a snap. A small scale is indeed the only thing you need. Once you have the package weight, you can do everything else online (usps.com) ... just type or copy/paste the recipient's address, and the site figures out the zones and prices and adds delivery confirm for free. You can use sticky labels, or else just laser print the postage form and tape it right on the package. Easy. (thumbs u

Absolutely, and you can't beat the look on the faces of the people standing in line to mail their packages while you hand your post paid packages to the clerk. (thumbs u This is true for international packages, too - it prints out all the customs forms and all you need is the clear plastic holder that sticks onto the package.

There are only a couple of exceptions where you'd need to go to the PO: if you needed insurance beyond $500 or if you're shipping via first class post (domestic or international).

What's a pain in the azz is filling out the DC form at the PO, waiting in line, and paying by hand. If you do this more than once every two weeks I think the online postage is worth it.

You do need a scale, but they can be had for very cheap. Find one on eBay. I bought a used 150 pound postal scale for $30.

You have to print out mailing labels and tape them on. You can use regular paper. They had stickers, which were great, but they cost like 3/$1 and were not worth it.

Use the most miserly settings for your black print cartridge-only print option, and buy a do-it-yourself black refill kit.

Now you are completely self-sufficient. You can even call the USPS and schedule a pickup of your packages. Personally, I like to drop them off at the PO myself. It's fun to jump the line and just drop them on the counter...I like the looks from the patrons...just smile broadly and whistle.... lol

Please don't automatically assume this guy is a scammer, as the PO does lose packages and sticky-fingered employees do steal them.

Yes, things do get stolen...but there are people out there who automatically claim non-receipt when they see that there is no DC on the package knowing that the seller has no recourse.

Which one is more likely?? I don't know.

Yes, things do get stolen...but there are people out there who automatically claim non-receipt when they see that there is no DC on the package knowing that the seller has no recourse.

Nah, those guys are experts, and automatically file with Paypal for a 100% guaranteed refund + shipping.

Any type of confirmation or insurance?

He declined, but with the new FB system...so what. If it had been changed before, It would be mandatory...which it is now is.

Do you have an email in which he declines DC/ins? If so, does that give you any leverage? (shrug)

Unfortunately, with eBay/Paypal it seems to be 'seller beware', even though the buyer should bear some responsibility for paying for the added protection.

What's a pain in the azz is filling out the DC form at the PO, waiting in line, and paying by hand. If you do this more than once every two weeks I think the online postage is worth it.

You do need a scale, but they can be had for very cheap. Find one on eBay. I bought a used 150 pound postal scale for $30.

You have to print out mailing labels and tape them on. You can use regular paper. They had stickers, which were great, but they cost like 3/$1 and were not worth it.

Use the most miserly settings for your black print cartridge-only print option, and buy a do-it-yourself black refill kit.

Now you are completely self-sufficient. You can even call the USPS and schedule a pickup of your packages. Personally, I like to drop them off at the PO myself. It's fun to jump the line and just drop them on the counter...I like the looks from the patrons...just smile broadly and whistle.... lol

Great info all....I will need a scale.....most of my packages aren't worth using the Flat rate box. Knowing I can print it on regular paper and tape it makes things much simpler.

If your really cheap you can print the label right onto regular paper and tape it to the box. I bought 1,000 labels from a guy off ebay for $20.

You need:

A scale

An account

Link your ebay account to your PP account.

Or you can go to USPS and print them up on-line. Unless the insurance is more than $500 I never go to the PO anymore.

Do you have an email in which he declines DC/ins? If so, does that give you any leverage?

Nope, it all comes down to whether the seller can prove delivery, not a "he said, she said" deal.

Just the facts, ma'am.

Great info all....I will need a scale.....most of my packages aren't worth using the Flat rate box. Knowing I can print it on regular paper and tape it makes things much simpler.

I don't know, sounds like it may be a challenge for you :baiting:

Do you have an email in which he declines DC/ins? If so, does that give you any leverage?

Nope, it all comes down to whether the seller can prove delivery, not a "he said, she said" deal.

Just the facts, ma'am.

I thought all the seller had to do is prove it's been shipped.

Ouch.

The usual 'seller beware'. Does it seem wrong to anyone else that the buyer can decline the opportunity to protect his purchase, and then turn around and put the responsibility on the buyer? Common sense should argue that if you can present to eBay/Paypal the fact that the buyer declined insurance, they should hold the buyer responsible for that gamble. rantrant

1. How much was the book?

2. Anybody not using flat rate shipping now with online postage is creating FAR too much work for yourself. A flat rate envelope WITH delivery confirmation is $4.75, a flat rate box WITH delivery confirmation is $9.30. Anything else is more work, than, frankly, its worth, especially since the USPS just LOVES to find a way to make your package just a little heavier. Also, you can print directly from Paypal to your printer and tape to the envelope/box.

Common sense should argue that if you can present to eBay/Paypal the fact that the buyer declined insurance, they should hold the buyer responsible for that gamble.

You don't understand how large companies like this work - it's all automated, and the last thing that EBay/Paypal needs is to have dozens of employees poring over documents and emails from buyers and sellers.

So it's kept very simple - sellers require tracking and DC when accepting Paypal, and to do otherwise is not very smart. There should be no option to refuse DC.

Common sense should argue that if you can present to eBay/Paypal the fact that the buyer declined insurance, they should hold the buyer responsible for that gamble.

You don't understand how large companies like this work - it's all automated, and the last thing that EBay/Paypal needs is to have dozens of employees poring over documents and emails from buyers and sellers.

So it's kept very simple - sellers require tracking and DC when accepting Paypal, and to do otherwise is not very smart. There should be no option to refuse DC.

Unfortunately, I do understand. Just a pet peeve of mine.... :mad:

Well, an Ebay buyer claims he never got his book. The book was shipped out May 12th to Coventry CT, and this was a few days before the feedback change. The buyer still claims he has not gotten a priority box....not an envelope, and wants a full refund on a Silver Surfer 7 VF/NM. I have not recieved the book back to my return address either, so a larger priority box is missing, with city, state and zip on it? I'm trying to decide wether to refund the purchase amount minus shipping or just say-"I think you have the book and are using the new feedback system to you advantage to hold me hostage etc etc." So, even if I do, he could still hit me with a neutral and I would be out my $$ and my book, or I could just take the negative and claim my side in the response. Thoughts and opinions-CC.

Man ,you kinda screwed yourself by not going with DC.I would offer a refund and take it as a lesson learned.ALWAYS use DC.