• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another cover our *spoon*. CGC dosen't know anything return policy.

73 posts in this topic

I'll withhold the information for now in hopes that the seller does the right thing, but a little over three weeks ago I purchased a GA book from a seller on ebay. The seller has high feedback, and good feedback. I've also seen their listings many times.

Anyway, I submitted the book to CGC and it just completed the Resto check. It came back Restored SP.

I sent them an e-mail explaing that I would not be concerned about a variance in grade but in light of the restoration, I would like to negotiate a diffferent price or return the book for a refund. Of course, only once the book was in hand so I could send scans varifying that is indeed the same book.

This is the reply so far:

We offer a very liberal policy of return for any reason that you feel the book is not to your liking. The book must be returned within seven days, as stated in every one of our auctions. This policy avoids our being involved in the opinions of CGC which are as subjective as any. We are interested only in our buyer's opinion of the book when he receives it. CGC, for instance calls taping of a tear amateur restoration, while no one else does. With so much ink being found on comic books, how can anyone tell whether a dot of color is accidental or covering a white dot of color break on the book? Our policy precludes returning the book after such a long time, but we will speak to the owner regarding a possible partial refund if you don't like the book. We will get back to you with an answer.

Technically, they are right. A seven day return policy is a seven day return policy, but it sounds like it is in place limit the possibility of books being returned.

I offer a seven day return policy as well in my auctions, even on CGC books, but would certainly make exceptions concerning restoration and the fact that it often takes a professional to detect it.

FYI, I think it is a small piece reattached (tear seal).

How the heck do you get CGC to grade a book in seven days when it takes three weeks just to slab them?

:eek:

It takes a professional to detect a tear seal? :eek:

No it doesn't, usually, and I'm not going to pretend to be an expert at resto detection, but I'm actually pretty darn good at it.

This is an extremely small line that looked more like a crease and since it was next to a small spine split it appeared to be just that - a crease created when the paper bent back from the split. Thinking back, that little itty bitty crease seemed translucent like it may have been reattached, or there may be some other form of restoration. (shrug) I won't know till I get the book back or call.

But, far from the point of the post.

It takes a professional to detect a tear seal? :eek:

The seller either didn't see it or didn't mention it,and as a rule should be the more professional of the two.

I can see valid points on each side here.

Either way, the seller needs to give you some money back. It wasn't bluechip or silver-age-comics, was it?

Without an "industry standard" about restoration - a position I personally think is road apples - it's still been monkeyed with, and said monkeying should have been proactively disclosed.

:sumo:

I'd out the seller, but understand your reluctance.

Oh, and "We are interested only in our buyer's opinion of the book when he receives it." is also a load of . Can you imagine a car dealer trying to get away with that? "Hey, sorry your mechanic found eight square feet of bondo on that used car we sold you, but you should have gone over the whole thing with a magnet when you were giving it a once-over on the lot."

:boo:

Call for the grader's notes.

A tear seal is restoration - it is not the opinion of CGC, it is a fact. Tactfully advise the seller that the product significantly differs from what was paid for. It sounds like they would be willing to negotiate price, which is what you'd like, right?

Also, the statement about not being able to tell if a dot of color is color touch or just accidental ink spray (I think that's what they're implying), is a pretty disingenuous statement from a well established dealer. (tsk)

But, far from the point of the post.

I didn't mean to take it off track.

I believe you should get your money back, without a doubt. I can't believe the seller would balk at this. :foryou:

Mike, I think you're right to wait on outing the seller until a partial refund has been negotiated. Hopefully a happy ending ahead.

That said, any seller who hides behind lines like this

With so much ink being found on comic books, how can anyone tell whether a dot of color is accidental or covering a white dot of color break on the book?

is certainly a seller I'd like to know about when the time is right.

Sorry to hear about this problem Mike. I wish I had some good advice for you. I'm pretty much like you: I'll watch this thread to see where the Wisdom of the Boards takes you.

:popcorn:

My first knee jerk was out the too; but you should play it cool and see how things develop. At least for now.

(thumbs u

I personally , would ALWAYS make it right for the buyer and my reputation , unless I really thought they we're some scam artist . These things don't happen that often (or shouldn't) so it's usually best , and easiest to take the high road !..................BH

I personally , would ALWAYS make it right for the buyer and my reputation , unless I really thought they we're some scam artist . These things don't happen that often (or shouldn't) so it's usually best , and easiest to take the high road !..................BH

Of course , not if I'm dealing with the likes of , ...er , .... Divad , ...Watson , Cloudtwit , 1970(Roy) , Sean , ....etc...............

Either way, the seller needs to give you some money back. It wasn't bluechip or silver-age-comics, was it?

Without an "industry standard" about restoration - a position I personally think is road apples - it's still been monkeyed with, and said monkeying should have been proactively disclosed.

Oh, and "We are interested only in our buyer's opinion of the book when he receives it." is also a load of . Can you imagine a car dealer trying to get away with that? "Hey, sorry your mechanic found eight square feet of bondo on that used car we sold you, but you should have gone over the whole thing with a magnet when you were giving it a once-over on the lot."

I did not sell this book, whatever it is. But it's unfair and incorrect to imply I would not allow the return of a book that somebody found a tear seal on, especially if it was clear from the outset somebody wanted a book that's unrestored, and I would know that meant tear seals for some people, so I would see it coming if he found a tear seal. Where I do agree with the seller is in how they describe a dot of marking or glue. I can show any buyer numerous examples of books that have marks and glue and some of them have purple labels and some of them have blue labels. So, if the buyer knows it's on the book, then it's up to the buyer to know what he calls it and to bid or not bid accordingly. The eight feet of bondo would be a better analogy if the book in question had more than a tear seal, but even if you go with that analogy, it's a whole different question if the buyer knows it's there, then he knows it's there; period. Doesn't make any difference whether some mechanic calls it bondo or preservation or restoration.

I did not sell this book, whatever it is. But it's unfair and incorrect to imply I would not allow the return of a book that somebody found a tear seal on, especially if it was clear from the outset somebody wanted a book that's unrestored, and I would know that meant tear seals for some people, so I would see it coming if he found a tear seal. Where I do agree with the seller is in how they describe a dot of marking or glue. I can show any buyer numerous examples of books that have marks and glue and some of them have purple labels and some of them have blue labels. So, if the buyer knows it's on the book, then it's up to the buyer to know what he calls it and to bid or not bid accordingly. The eight feet of bondo would be a better analogy if the book in question had more than a tear seal, but even if you go with that analogy, it's a whole different question if the buyer knows it's there, then he knows it's there; period. Doesn't make any difference whether some mechanic calls it bondo or preservation or restoration.

You're silly.

If I see a book I like on line. I will usually send the seller an e-mail. In that e-mail I usually state the book will be looked at by a restoration expert. I usually ask if more time on the return period is available for this restoration check. If there answer is NO. I usually just walk away from the book. If the answer is YES. I will either buy the book privately or try to win it via auction. I hope you settle this so both parties are happy..