• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Happening (Vague review)

54 posts in this topic

The whole plot, and story and cast (outside of wahlberg who is hit or miss). The ending was awful, the casting as a whole was dreadful and there was no guessing/twist/suspense at all, What you did was just watch people kill themselfs (in stupid ways) whenever the "wind blew (expect when wahlberg was hit with the wind, twice. niether of which had any effect on him hm . It was truly an awful movie, and I like(d) MNS, However his last few films have me thinking twice about him.

Don't you think there will be sequel to this? Also where were the toxins coming from? I could never figure it out. I presumed plants but what about bioterrorist attacks, global warming, or nuclear plant leaks? I though it was creepy how that dude killed himself in front the lawn mower. That was weird. After I saw the movie a staff member at Regal cinemas was handing out pencils and surveys for the movie. I asked her if I could take it home, but she told me it needed to be filled out immediately and turned back in to the theater. I know I'm in the minority (except for Rodger Ebert (thumbs u (thumbs u ) but I liked this film, and Lady In the Water, and The Village.

CC

Have you seen this on YouTube?

Have to agree with most of those who have watched the film...not MNS's best by a longshot. I love Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village and I though Lady in the Water was a masterpiece, but I just can't figure this one. The movie has it's moments, but overall it was a BIG disappointment.

The village was one of the worst movies I have ever seen

:o I really liked that one... only one I didn't figure out before the end.

Didn't care for Lady in the Water though and The Sixth Sense fails when you discover the "surprise" halfway through the movie. Signs was ok, but I can't stand Mel Gibson and Unbreakable was a masterpiece.

Im a little late on this thread, and i agree with you with the exception of the Sixth Sense. You discovered the surprise halfway through the movie? Maybe its just because im slow but I thought you found out he was "surprise" at the end of it.

I figured out he was dead halfway through the movie at the dinner with his wife. (shrug)

Still liked the movie a lot though. (thumbs u

The whole plot, and story and cast (outside of wahlberg who is hit or miss). The ending was awful, the casting as a whole was dreadful and there was no guessing/twist/suspense at all, What you did was just watch people kill themselfs (in stupid ways) whenever the "wind blew (expect when wahlberg was hit with the wind, twice. niether of which had any effect on him hm . It was truly an awful movie, and I like(d) MNS, However his last few films have me thinking twice about him.

Don't you think there will be sequel to this? Also where were the toxins coming from? I could never figure it out. I presumed plants but what about bioterrorist attacks, global warming, or nuclear plant leaks? I though it was creepy how that dude killed himself in front the lawn mower. That was weird. After I saw the movie a staff member at Regal cinemas was handing out pencils and surveys for the movie. I asked her if I could take it home, but she told me it needed to be filled out immediately and turned back in to the theater. I know I'm in the minority (except for Rodger Ebert (thumbs u (thumbs u ) but I liked this film, and Lady In the Water, and The Village.

CC

Has any of MNS movies made sequels? (shrug) I can't imagine this one making a sequel. It is what it is, which is a complete bomb, Sure the killings where weird, but most where borderline dumb IMO, If the story ended with a major twist or something, it would have made the movie a lot different (some kind of alien/un-godly type of thing) but to have end the way it did, completely killed (an already weakly plotted/developed) movie (as well as a lot of MNS' cred as well). But hey, I am glad you (and a few others) enjoyed it! (thumbs u I wish I could have, so I wouldnt have felt like I threw away $$

BTW Everyone who was hit by "the wind" flipped out and killed themselves. Right?..So how come Wahlberg (and his wife + little girl) is hit with it twice and NEITHER time did anything to them?.. The movie is/was baddddd lol

CC

Has any of MNS movies made sequels? (shrug) I can't imagine this one making a sequel. It is what it is, which is a complete bomb, Sure the killings where weird, but most where borderline dumb IMO, If the story ended with a major twist or something, it would have made the movie a lot different (some kind of alien/un-godly type of thing) but to have end the way it did, completely killed (an already weakly plotted/developed) movie (as well as a lot of MNS' cred as well). But hey, I am glad you (and a few others) enjoyed it! (thumbs u I wish I could have, so I wouldnt have felt like I threw away $$

BTW Everyone who was hit by "the wind" flipped out and killed themselves. Right?..So how come Wahlberg (and his wife + little girl) is hit with it twice and NEITHER time did anything to them?.. The movie is/was baddddd lol

You are bagging this movie a hell of a lot for someone who obviously does not even get how the main players survived. (shrug)

The first time they knew to break off into smaller groups so not be be seen as a threat to the trees/plants/grass

The second time they were hit by the wind it was all over. The wind was back to normal as the toxin had moved on.

BTW I loved the family who owned the plant nursery in the movie.

It gave me the impression of what Chuck R might be like if I listen to all the forum stories told about him. ^^

Russ...

CC

Have you seen this on YouTube?

I've been reading a lot lately about how many media and Hollywood insiders find The director to be arrogant and not very likable, so I'm wondering if it's possible that this guy couldn't pay for a good review. I saw Lady In The Water and although I didn't think it was exceptional or great by any means, it was better than a lot of the idiotic horror films that come out these days. I guess I'm wondering why his films are so vehemently panned?

CC

You are bagging this movie a hell of a lot for someone who obviously does not even get how the main players survived. (shrug)

The first time they knew to break off into smaller groups so not be be seen as a threat to the trees/plants/grass

The second time they were hit by the wind it was all over. The wind was back to normal as the toxin had moved on.

It gave me the impression of what Chuck R might be like if I listen to all the forum stories told about him. ^^

Russ...

I knew how they survived, moving into small groups; all I called into question was what was making this happen. I presumed plants but didn't know for sure as plenty of other people hint at different things throughout the film, especially at the end. The only reason I thought there might be a sequel is that the plant-wind phenomenon wasn't totally eradicated and ended up spreading to what appeared to be Russia. Any thoughts?

OK, I have seen all his movies, and believe it or not up until this one I have thought his movies were slightly above average to insanely awesome. But this is bad. Not only is it bad. It is campy bad. I was not buying how the people were dying. Every time someone died I found it way more funnier than horrifying. Had the characters died in a non funny way perhaps the movie would be alright. But when you can't see these situations happening than it becomes comedy gold. The old lady character was over the top too. Talk about trying to make women fit into every stereotypic idea of a loner you could possibly imagine. I was just surprised there were not 20 cats all around the house. Although the way people were dying from this gas sprouting from the plant was extremely laughable, I thought it could of been better if the main character did get the gas from the plants and was able to overcome the attack with sure know how and will power at the end of the movie.

CC

Russ...

I know how they survived. but the reasoning was beyond stupid!.. First, they broke up into smaller groups, thinking that the "winds" attack the larger groups, which looked to work. however, a little while later into the movie, the old hermit lady, who was by herself, got "infected" and killed herself. which contradicts the reasoning to break up into smaller groups to survive. The second time they survived the "winds" was after they all decided to give up (the 3 of them) and figured, if they're going to die, they will die together.. yet, it so happen to be 10 or so mins AFTER the "winds" decided not to kill anymore (shrug) (forgot the exact time they said in the movie, but it was less then 15 mins)... what a coincidence?... :makepoint: Each person has there own personal opionions of course, But in my opinion, I though the movie was awful, one of, if not MNS worse yet.

After The Village and Lady in the Water, there is pretty much nothing that could make me go see one of this guys' movies again.

I loved both of those movies - yet - the Happening is the first of his movies that I am less than luke-warm about. Perhaps I will rent it.

Maybe they should've done a remake of "What's Happening"...that would probably make it far more bizarre and contrived that it already is.

whatshappening.jpg

:roflmao:

Hell, I'd go see that!

No way in hell Shamalama is getting me into the theater again.

I loved Sixth Sense, and Signs was good until they actually showed the alien (I thought it would have been 100% better if the alien had never been seen.)

After Village and Lady in the Water, he's ruined me of ever watching another one.

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, oh wheedler of the capricious. Because when you're asked to do your best, you can confidently say..."I already have."

cannes-bud-radio.jpg

:acclaim: