• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do signed books go up in value when signer dies? What are rarest signed books?

23 posts in this topic

I don't know a thing about signed books. Does the value of a signed book go up when the signer dies? (i.e. no more supply coming) By how much of a percentage?

I am thinking of signed books by Jim Aparo and Marshall Rogers who died in recent years. Any increase in their signatures after they died?

What about Stan Lee? Will his signature go up in value when he is gone?

What are some the rarest signatures out there from writers and artists that have already died?

guess really depends on how many are out there.

I think there is only one wil eisner and it's interior. Could be wrong.

In my opinion, Stan Lee's sig will go up for a long time after he is gone. I think of it like this, he is responsible for so many mainstream characters today, that I look at him as being as important as Walt Disney was in his time. That is just my opinion however, but with the way movies have been going recently, I think Stan has a ton of staying power.

I don't know if that is law for everyone else who goes, but that is just my two cents about stan.

I don't know a thing about signed books. Does the value of a signed book go up when the signer dies? (i.e. no more supply coming) By how much of a percentage?

I am thinking of signed books by Jim Aparo and Marshall Rogers who died in recent years. Any increase in their signatures after they died?

What about Stan Lee? Will his signature go up in value when he is gone?

What are some the rarest signatures out there from writers and artists that have already died?

I'm a big fan of Aparo, but I wouldn't say there's a big increase in value--take a look at the Aparo signed books I have up for grabs in the VCC (and prev. for sale last week)--no bites whatsoever despite being pretty cheaply priced.

Depends on the artist/writer I'd say. Given the choice between a Jack Kirby signed book and its unsigned counterpart.... well, no brainer there ;)

In my opinion, Stan Lee's sig will go up for a long time after he is gone. I think of it like this, he is responsible for so many mainstream characters today, that I look at him as being as important as Walt Disney was in his time. That is just my opinion however, but with the way movies have been going recently, I think Stan has a ton of staying power.

I don't know if that is law for everyone else who goes, but that is just my two cents about stan.

I just picked up my 1st Stan Lee Sig Series... I was so happy to get it! I feel the same way you do. He is responsible fo so much. When I told a buddy who doesn't collect comics I got a really cool sig the first thing he said was "Is it Stan Lee?"

:banana:

I don't think the retail prices on signed comics/art by Marshall Rogers or Carl Barks jumped up much after they passed away especially for Barks, as he had signed a lot of ltd edition lithos (pre-eBay) before he passed.

What about Neal Adams? He seems to sign a lot of stuff, I always see it for sale.

Are we going to see a price jump for his signature when he is gone?

Good Lord this entire thread is just macabre.

Speculating on the values of signatures of our idols and if they will be worth more if they are dead? :(

C

What about Neal Adams? He seems to sign a lot of stuff, I always see it for sale.

Speculating on the values of signatures of our idols and if they will be worth more if they are dead? :(

C

lol Yeah, some people's posts are a bit much. :devil:

C

indeed

C

Says the guy with Bert eating a baby for an avatar and zombies for a sig! lol

I thought the same, but just kept quiet......

C

lol That should tell you how over the line of good taste this seems, if it bothers me. :roflmao:

Well, I am all for fictional violence and mayhem....this is reality...I guess that is where draw the line.

C

BTW...The baby had it coming.

C

lol That should tell you how over the line of good taste this seems, if it bothers me. :roflmao:

Well, I am all for fictional violence and mayhem....this is reality...I guess that is where draw the line.

C

Point well taken! :roflmao:

BTW...The baby had it coming.

That's just wrong........ :baiting:

lol (thumbs u

sure it is morbid, but lets face it, lots of people collect for profit as well.

I love speculating, I am sure lots of people have a "death" box of some kind where they keep all of their super rare collectibles.....until the time comes.

sure it is morbid, but lets face it, lots of people collect for profit as well.

I love speculating, I am sure lots of people have a "death" box of some kind where they keep all of their super rare collectibles.....until the time comes.

doh!