• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Opportunities - San Diego Comic Con International July 23-27

83 posts in this topic

I'm pretty confidant that Dan Brereton will be there. If fairly certain that Kieron Dwyer will also be there. Rob Zombie will probably be there (but will he sign?). Not sure about Eddy Barros. I don't think Will Conrad will be there.
Someone PM'd me that Will's only show this year will be at Paradise. There's always next year.

Anyone know if George Perez will be there?

George Perez did MegaCon this year as a surprise and said it would be his only show, he did say he would be starting up again in 09 with MegaCon 09. Hit me up closer to the event, i will more then likely be taking submissions for that show

Do Joe Simon & Larry Lieber attend conventions such as sdcc? I would love to get Joe Simon on a Cap and L.L on a T.O.S #39...

Larry Lieber is scheduled to appear on the Golden/Silver Age Panel this year on Thursday. (As is Jerry Robinson, whom somebody else asked about.) Stan Lee is scheduled to appear on two panels on Thursday as well. The programming for Thursday was posted on the Comic-Con website very briefly on Tuesday and then taken down. It can be found here:

http://popculturezoo.com/archives/721

3:30-5:00 Golden and Silver Age of Comics—It’s the amazing annual gathering of the resident greats from the Golden and Silver Ages of comics! Moderated by Mark Evanier, this year’s list of luminaries includes Al Feldstein (EC editor/writer/artist), Victor Gorelick (Archie Comics editor and writer), Al Jaffee (MAD magazine cartoonist), comics writer/artist Larry Lieber, Harvey Comics writer/editor Sid Jacobson, and artists Russ Heath (G.I. Combat, Sgt. Rock) and Jerry Robinson (Batman). Filled with personal reminiscences and anecdotes, this panel promises to be a treasure trove of comics history! Room 8

Do Joe Simon & Larry Lieber attend conventions such as sdcc? I would love to get Joe Simon on a Cap and L.L on a T.O.S #39...

Larry Lieber is scheduled to appear on the Golden/Silver Age Panel this year on Thursday. (As is Jerry Robinson, whom somebody else asked about.) Stan Lee is scheduled to appear on two panels on Thursday as well. The programming for Thursday was posted on the Comic-Con website very briefly on Tuesday and then taken down. It can be found here:

Sweet!! Are there any witnesses on the board that can obtain Larry Liebers sig for me??

Do Joe Simon & Larry Lieber attend conventions such as sdcc? ..

Sweet!! Are there any witnesses on the board that can obtain Larry Liebers sig for me??

for real...I need book with those two sigs on it...

I'm curious. If someone is showing up for a panel does that usually mean they will sign? is this usually during the panel, after or a random time during the con?

I'd imagine most people that do a panel would not be signing.

I am totally booked for space, if you have made contact with me already I am accounting for you!

Thanks to everyone and I hope my chiropractor is ready for me when I get back... :sumo:

To answer the question of whether someone signs just because they are doing a panel, the answer is usually no, but there are exceptions. The con does set up Autograph times to occur after a panel, and those autograph times are held upstairs near all the panel rooms. Typically, every special guest is asked to do at least 1 signing, but there is no guarantee on that. If you go to their website, and click on Autographs, a few days before the show, you will see if there is a scheduled signing that the Con is organizing.

They do not like it when people stay in the panel rooms and sign afterwards, because they are clearing out the room to get ready for the next panel, and almost every room is booked solid the 4 main days of the show. Do people mob the panel participants at the end for an autograph? Oh, yeah, but it's up to the panel participants whether they stay and sign, move into the hallway and sign, or say, "Sorry, no" as they head back to their booths or somewhere else.

The best bet is if the person has an artist's alley table or sits with their art dealer, like Naked Fat Rave has with artists like Art Adams, J Scott Campbell, Tim Sale, Matt Wagner, etc. That's the best place to get someone's autograph at the show, in my opinion. As for Larry Lieber and Jerry Robinson and the other greats of our industry, I'm really not sure, since their schedules can change based on other committments, meetings, and their energy level. If I knew, I'd tell ya. :)

There, a long answer to your short question. Thanks for reading!

Joel

Finally!

Beginning Wednesday, July 23, DC Comics staff and freelance community will be leave their desks and drawing boards behind to attend Comic-Con International: San Diego. Along with an impressive list of attendees, DC Comics will have panels and giveaways at the convention.

DC’s guests at the convention are:

• Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, JOKER)

• Mark Buckingham (FABLES)

• Cecil Castellucci (JANES IN LOVE)

• Darwyn Cooke (DC: THE NEW FRONTIER)

• Neil Googe (WILDCATS)

• Geoff Johns (ACTION COMICS, GREEN LANTERN)

• David Lapham (YOUNG LIARS)

• Aaron Lopresti (WONDER WOMAN)

• Brad Meltzer (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, DC UNIVERSE: LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT)

• Grant Morrison (BATMAN, FINAL CRISIS)

• Jerry Robinson (BATMAN)

• Jim Shoop (DC Direct sculptor)

• Gail Simone (WONDER WOMAN, SECRET SIX)

• Matthew Sturges (HOUSE OF MYSTERY, JACK OF FABLES)

• Phillip Tan (FINAL CRISIS: REVELATIONS)

• Peter Tomasi (GREEN LANTERN CORPS, NIGHTWING)

• Bill Willingham (FABLES, JACK OF FABLES, HOUSE OF MYSTERY)

• G. Willow Wilson (AIR, CAIRO)

• Judd Winick (TITANS, GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY)

• Brian Wood (DMZ, NORTHLANDERS, THE NEW YORK FOUR, DEMO)

Other members of the freelance community scheduled to be at the convention include:

• Marc Andreyko (MANHUNTER)

• Sergio Aragones (THE SPIRIT, BAT LASH, MAD Magazine)

• Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS, JOKER)

• Matt “Batt” Banning (SUPERMAN/BATMAN)

• Eddy Barrows (TEEN TITANS)

• Chris Batista (ROBIN, TEEN TITANS)

• Adam Beechen (BATGIRL)

• Joe Benitez (TITANS)

• Lee Bermejo (JOKER)

• Tim Bradstreet (SCALPED covers)

• Jon Buran (WORLD OF WARCRAFT)

• Percy Carey (SENTENCES: THE LIFE OF MF GRIMM)

• Cliff Chiang (GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY)

• Becky Cloonan (DEMO, AMERICAN VIRGIN)

• Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL)

• Mike Costa (THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: HAWKSMOOR)

• Jason Craig (FREDDY VS. JASON VS. ASH)

• Wes Craig (WILDSTORM: REVELATIONS)

• Carlos D’Anda (DEATHBLOW)

• Brian Denham (THE X-FILES)

• Andy Diggle (HELLBLAZER)

• Paul Dini (DETECTIVE COMICS, COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS)

• Nick Doan (PRAY FOR DEATH)

• Steve Ellis (HIGH MOON)

• Mark Evanier (THE SPIRIT)

• Christos Gage (WILDCATS)

• David Gallaher (HIGH MOON)

• Michael Gaydos (MANHUNTER)

• Dave Gibbons (WATCHMEN, GREEN LANTERN CORPS)

• Keith Giffen (AMBUSH BUG: YEAR ONE, REIGN IN HELL)

• Patrick Gleason (GREEN LANTERN CORPS)

• Joel Gomez (THE LOST BOYS: REIGN OF FROGS)

• Caanan Grall (CELADORE)

• Mick Gray (JOKER)

• Renato Guedes (SUPERMAN)

• Chris Gugliotti (THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: RAISING CAIN)

• David Hahn (ALL NIGHTER)

• Jeremy Haun (CHUCK)

• Sandra Hope (WORLD OF WARCRAFT)

• Al Jaffee (MAD Magazine)

• James Jean (FABLES covers)

• Jock (GREEN ARROW: YEAR ONE, THE LOSERS)

• Drew Johnson (SUPERGIRL)

• Peter Johnson (CHUCK, SUPERNATURAL: RISING SON)

• J. G. Jones (FINAL CRISIS)

• Ryan Kelly (THE NEW YORK FOUR)

• J.J. Kirby (THE NEW DYNAMIX)

• Scott Kolins (FINAL CRISIS: ROGUES’ REVENGE, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD)

• Andy Kubert (BATMAN, TRINITY covers)

• Jim Lee (ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER)

• Ron Lim (RANN/THANAGAR: HOLY WAR)

• Jeremy Love (BAYOU)

• Jerome K. Moore (WORLD OF WARCRAFT)

• Todd Nauck (TEEN TITANS GO!)

• Jai Nitz (EL DIABLO)

• Dustin Nguyen (DETECTIVE COMICS)

• Oliver Nome (THE NEW DYNAMIX)

• Joshua Ortega (GEARS OF WAR)

• Andy Owens (TRINITY)

• Jimmy Palmiotti (JONAH HEX, THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT)

• Francis Portela (BATMAN)

• Joe Prado (GREEN LANTERN)

• Jack Purcell (GOTHAM UNDERGROUND)

• Norm Rapmund (BOOSTER GOLD)

• James Robinson (SUPERMAN)

• Stephane Roux (BIRDS OF PREY covers)

• Greg Rucka (FINAL CRISIS: REVELATIONS)

• Nicola Scott (BIRDS OF PREY, SECRET SIX)

• Trevor Scott (DC/WILDSTORM: DREAMWAR)

• Jon Sibal (ACTION COMICS)

• Frank Spotnitz (THE X-FILES)

• Fiona Staples (THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: HAWKSMOOR)

• Jim Starlin (RANN/THANAGAR: HOLY WAR, DEATH OF THE NEW GODS)

• Jill Thompson (HOUSE OF MYSTERY)

• Frank Tieri (GOTHAM UNDERGROUND, COUNTDOWN PRESENTS: LORD HAVOK AND THE EXTREMISTS)

• Bobby Timony (THE NIGHT OWLS)

• Peter Timony (THE NIGHT OWLS)

• J. Torres (FAMILY DYNAMIC)

• Tony Trovallero (THE BLACK CHERRY BOMBSHELLS)

• Deborah Vankin (INSTA-LIFE)

• Ethan Van Sciver (GREEN LANTERN, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA)

• Sheldon Vella (SUPERTRON)

• Matt Wagner (MADAME XANADU)

• Freddie E. Williams II (THE FLASH, ROBIN)

• J.H. Williams III (BATMAN, PROMETHEA)

• Johnny Zito (THE BLACK CHERRY BOMBSHELLS)

Along with these freelancers, the DC staff will be in San Diego, led by President & Publisher Paul Levitz.

Members of the DC Universe Editorial staff at the convention include Senior VP - Executive Editor Dan DiDio, Senior Story Editor Ian Sattler, Senior Coordinating Editor Jann Jones, Senior Group Editor Mike Carlin, Group Editor Eddie Berganza, Senior Editors Joey Cavalieri, Matt Idelson and Mike Marts, Editor Mike Siglain and Editorial Art Director Mark Chiarello.

Vertigo editors coming to San Diego include Senior VP - Executive Editor Karen Berger, Group Editors Shelly Bond and Bob Schreck, and Senior Editor Will Dennis.

WildStorm staffers set to be at the show include WildStorm VP - General Manager Hank Kanalz, Senior Editor Ben Abernathy and Editors Shannon Denton and Scott Peterson.

From CMX, look for Manga Editor Jim Chadwick and Director of Manga Asako Suzuki.

DC Direct creative staffers in San Diego include VP - Design & DC Direct Creative Georg Brewer, Design Director Jim Fletcher and Art Director Shawn Knapp. The business side of DC Direct will be represented by VP - Business Development Jeff Trojan, Director - Product Management Syndee Barwick and Account Manager Marisa Santiago. Also at the convention will be Purchasing Manager - Retail Products Christine Napollitano.

DC’s Licensing department will be represented by Senior VP - Brand Management Cheryl Rubin and Executive Creative Director David Erwin.

From Creative Services, Senior VP - Creative Director Richard Bruning will be at the convention, along with Director - Creative Services Ron Perazza, Manager - DC Online Dave McCullough and Online Editor Kwanza Johnson.

The Editorial Administration group will be in San Diego as well, with VP - Managing Editor Terri Cunningham, Executive Director Jack Mahan, Director - Editorial Administration Accounting Roger Rivera and Editorial Administration Operations Coordinator Chris Conroy all in attendance.

From the Advertising department, Midwest Account Manager Steve Newman and National Sales Director Jason Stroot will be at the convention. Director - International Business Development Linda Lee and Director - Business Development Andrea Shochet will be in San Diego, as will Deputy General Counsel Jay Kogan and Group Editor - Licensed Publishing Steve Korte.

Also scheduled to be at the show are Senior VP - Creative Affairs Gregory Noveck, Creative Executive - Creative Affairs Ivan Cohen and Creative Associate Will Hackner.

DC’s Sales & Marketing department will be on hand as well, including Senior VP Steve Rotterdam, VP — Marketing John Cunningham, VP - Sales Bob Wayne, VP - Book Trade Sales Sue Pohja, Director - Marketing Gayley Avery, Director - Direct Sales Vince Letterio, Manager - Marketing Communications Adam Philips, Manager - Events & Retailer Services Fletcher Chu-Fong, Manager - Marketing Services Matt Keller, Administrator - Direct Sales Stuart Schreck, Representives - Direct Sales Pat O’Connell and Joe Hughes, and Representative Events & Retailer Services Rex Ogle. DC’s Publicity Group will include VP - Publicity David Hyde, Publicity Managers Pamela Mullin and Alex Segura and Publicity Coordinator Austin Trunick.

Ok, This is my first time. I will be at the Comic con with a Goon #1. What are my steps? I know there is a CGC booth. Will it be cheaper to make arrangements Before the show? If the creator, draws a picture of the character with his signature will that lower value?

From what I read so far, I need to find a witness, give the witness the book to submit to the SS series?

In additon, Image studios is selling signed and numbed walking dead issues. Do these qualify as Signature Series?

Another question, There's a Goon #3 that's suppose to be limited to 125 with sketech book if I wanted to get that book signed will Signature series say the print run or the difference?

Ok, This is my first time. I will be at the Comic con with a Goon #1. What are my steps? I know there is a CGC booth. Will it be cheaper to make arrangements Before the show? If the creator, draws a picture of the character with his signature will that lower value? From what I read so far, I need to find a witness, give the witness the book to submit to the SS series?

Do what you feel is more comfortable. If you want to make arrangements with a Witness you can, or you can just come by the CGC booth. We may be able to walk over to see Eric and walk back with you (that's if you want a sketch), or you can just leave the book and we take care of getting it signed (no sketch). A sketch with his signature should, in fact, raise the value of the book as you would then have an authenticated sketch and autograph/

In additon, Image studios is selling signed and numbed walking dead issues. Do these qualify as Signature Series?

If they were signed and numbered before the con and not in front of a Witness they can't qualify for Signature Series. A Witness must be present when the book is signed. If they are numbered and not signed, you can get the creator to sign it and the book will receive a lower grade because the numbering is considered writing on the cover.

Another question, There's a Goon #3 that's suppose to be limited to 125 with sketech book if I wanted to get that book signed will Signature series say the print run or the difference?

Well, again, if it's already signed and numbered it's not accepted for Signature Series. If it's hand numbered see above. If it's neither you can get it done. You can suggest the information be added to the label, and I don't see why it wouldn't be noted, as similar things have been done in the past.

DARK HORSE SCHEDULE

FRIDAY, JULY 25:

11:00 - 12:00 Matt Wagner: Grendel

11:00 – 12:00 Mike Kennedy: Aliens Vs. Predator

12:00 – 1:00 Jim Hardison: The Helm

12:00 - 1:30 Yoaka Amano: Vampire Hunter D; Shinjuku (*ticketed event: See Dark Horse employee for details)

1:00 – 2:00 Scrambled Ink: Dreamworks Animators – Ken Morrissey, JJ Villard, Ennio Torresan, David Pimental, Keith Baxter, Jenny Lerew

2:00 – 3:00 Mike Mignola: Hellboy

(*ticketed event: See Dark Horse employee for details)

3:00 – 4:30 Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog: Joss Whedon, Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion, Felicia Day

(*ticketed event: See Dark Horse employee for details)

5:00 – 6:00 Yasuhiro Nightow: Trigun (*ticketed event: See Dark Horse employee for details)

6:00 – 7:00 David Lloyd: Kickback

ALSO, FRIDAY, JULY 25TH IS STAR WARS DAY! STAR WARS CREATOR SIGNINGS ALL AFTERNOON:

1:00 – 2:00 Travis Charest: Star Wars cover artist

2:00 - 3:00 Matt & Shawn Fillbach: Star Wars – The Clone Wars

3:00 - 4:00 Jeremy Barlow & Dan Parsons: Star Wars: Rebellion, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

4:00 – 5:00 Dustin Weaver: Star Wars: Rebellion, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

4:00 - 5:00 Travis Charest: Star Wars Legacy

5:00 – 6:00 Dustin Weaver & Michael Atiyeh: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

6:00 – 7:00 Dave Filoni & Henry Gilroy: Star Wars: Clone Wars

SATURDAY, JULY 26:

10:00 - 11:00 Stan Sakai: Usagi Yojimbo

11:00 – 12:00 Larry Marder: Beanworld

11:00 – 12:00 David Malki: Wondermark

12:00 – 1:00 Nicholas Gurewitch: Perry Bible Fellowship

1:30 – 3:00 Bruce Campbell: My Name Is Bruce

(*ticketed event, see Dark Horse employee for details.)

3:00 – 4:00 John Landis: Groundbreaking filmmaker

4:00 - 5:30 Gerard Way, Gabriel Ba: Umbrella Academy (*ticketed event, see Dark Horse employee for details.)

6:00 - 7:00 Bryan Talbot: Celebrating 30 years of Luther Arkwright!

6:00 – 7:00 Matt & Shawn Fillbach: Roadkill

SUNDAY, JULY 27:

11:00 – 12:00 Emily The Strange: Creative team Rob Reger, Buzz Parker, Nix Turner, Jessica Gruener

12:00 - 1:00 Yasuhiro Nightow: Trigun (*ticketed event: See Dark Horse employee for details)

1:00 – 2:00 Steve Niles: Criminal Macabre

1:00 – 2:00 Tara McPherson: Lonely Heart

1:00 – 2:00 Frank Kozik: Plasticland

2:00 – 3:00 Eric Powell: The Goon

2:00 – 3:00 Greg “Stainboy” Reinel: Vicious Intent

2:00 – 3:00 Rich Black: Futura

3:00 – 4:00 Keith Knight: K Chronicles

ALSO, Weta WILL HAVE SIGNINGS ALL WEEKEND!

Martin Baynton – Jane & the Dragon, Richard Taylor/Paul Tobin – Crafting of Narnia, Greg Broadmore – Dr. Grordbort’s Dingus Directory

*See a Weta employee for details!

And Check out these Dark Horse Related Panels and Events!

THURSDAY JULY 24

Robert E. Howard Panel

1:30 – 2:30 Room 3

Dark Horse Horror Panel

4:00 – 5:00 Room 2

FRIDAY JULY 25

Joss Whedon Panel

1:30 – 2:30 Ballroom 20

Larry Marder’s Beanworld Panel

6:00 – 7:00 Room 2

Eric Powell’s Goon Panel

6:30 – 7:30 Room 30AB

Free Premiere! Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog: Join Joss Whedon and the cast for the big screen premiere!

10:45 PM – Rooom 6B

SATURDAY JULY 26

Mike Mignola’s Hellboy Panel

11:00 – 12:00 Room 8

The Dark Horse Publishing Panel (Featuring a surprise guest!)

12:00 – 1:00 Room 2

Gerard Way with Grant Morrison

2:15 – 3:15 Room 6B

SUNDAY JULY 27

Emily the Strange Panel

12:30 – 1:30 Room 2

HERO INITIATIVE SIGNING SCHEDULE

BOOTH #907

WED, JULY 23

6:30-7:30: Scott Koblish

THUR, JULY 24

12:00-1:00: Gordon Purcell

1:00-2:00: Whilce Portacio

2:00-3:00: Marv Wolfman

FRI, JULY 25

10:00-11:00: Phil Hester

2:00-3:00: Gordon Purcell

4:00-5:00: Brad Meltzer + Michael Bair

5:00-6:00: Tim Seeley

SAT, JULY 26

10:00-11:00: Jeff Parker

11:00-12:00: Ron Marz + Stjepan Sejic

1:00-2:00: Matt Haley + Dean Zachary

4:00-5:00: Paul Jenkins

SUN, JULY 27

10:00-11:00: Steve Lieber

11:00-12:00: Joe Staton

12:00-1:00: Greg Pak

3:30-4:30: Sanford Greene

Stan will be at the Marvel Booth for 30 minutes on Thursday morning. It will be a ticketed event with 50 tickets being handed out Thursday morning as soon as the doors open. That is all. If you are interested in getting any books signed by Stan during San Diego or after San Diego, please e-mail us at desertwindcomics@hotmail.com for more details.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics