• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Author Paul Karasik looking for Fletcher Hanks stories

61 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Your respnse has been wonderful. Several collectors have stepped up and generously offfered to make scans.

I am still in need of some crucial Hanks stories to round out the collection. Again, any contributor will receive a couple of copies of the book (inscribed, of course) as well as an in-print acknowledgement in the book itself.

If you have any of these stories, please consider helping me out to bring more Hanks madness to the modern world.

Here is a slightly updated wish list:

JUNGLE (Fiction House)

#6 [The Jungle Demon]

#8 [The Temple In the Mud Pit]

#12 [The New Blitzers]

#13 [The Tiger-Women of Wildmoon Mountain]

...as well as..

FIGHT COMICS (Fiction House)

Big Red McLane stories under the pen name, "Charles Netcher"

#2 [Return Engagement]

#4 [The Lumber Hijackers]

#6 [The Paper Racketeers]

#7 [sledge Sloane Gang]

#8 [The Monk's War Rockets]

#9 Last appearance Sept. 1940 [searching For Sally Breen]

Here's some big news exclusively for this Message Board: Fantagraphics is interested in publishing the Complete Fletcher Hanks! I had been planning on only selecting the best stories for volume 2, but they want EVERYthing that was NOT in Volume 1 to go into this jumbo book.

I am deeply grateful for the many stories I have received many stories from collectors on this board and am now down to only a handful to complete the book.

I know that many of you are justifiably concerned about the possibility of spine damage to your precious books during scanning. Thanks to the magic of Photoshop, it is now possible to straigten out pages that warp along the edge. This means that you can scan your books without having to flatten the spine. As long as all of the image is there, even if it is bent, we can fix it! (of course the less bent the better!)

Please help me with scans of these final tales:

JUNGLE (Fiction House)

#12 [The New Blitzers]

...as well as..

Many thanks,

Paul Karasik

Here's some big news exclusively for this Message Board: Fantagraphics is interested in publishing the Complete Fletcher Hanks! I had been planning on only selecting the best stories for volume 2, but they want EVERYthing that was NOT in Volume 1 to go into this jumbo book.

Paul, that's really great news. :applause: Wonderful that Fantagraphics is so receptive to your project.

But man, that will be what, 400 or so pages? I'd think this means that all of the Space Smith stories plus the remaining Stardust stories will be reprinted, in addition to the Fantomah and Big Red McLane ones you've been tracking down?

The second volume with all of the tales not included in the first comes in closer to 225 pages. I am hoping that we can keep the price down as I think that the $20 tag on Volume 1 really made it affordable to everyone.

Again, I can't make this happen without some more help, guys. Even if you only have one of the items on the above checklist, please consider either scanning yourself or mail it to me and I will scan with care (I have done this before and others can testify that I not only pay cost and insurance, but also handle your babies with TLC!).

Remember those who contribute get an acknowledgment in the published book, a couple of copies and (for what its worth) my undying gratitude!

-Paul

Here is the list of the stories planned for Volume II:

Yank Wilson: (from Fantastic 6)

“The Sabateurs”

Tabu:

Jungle #1

Stardust:

#2 “Rip the Blood”

#8 “Emerald Men of Aspergus”

#10 "The Super Fiend"

#12 "The Giant Vultures of Kaos"

# 15 "The 6th Column Kids"

Space Smith

#1 "Meet Space Smith"

#3, “The Leopard Women of Venus”

#4, “The Thinker”

#5 “The Hoppers”

#6, “The Vacuumites”

#8 “Planet Bloodu”

Fantomah

#2 “The Elephants’ Graveyard”

#4 “The Super-Gorillas”

#5 “Mundoor and the Giant Reptiles”

#6 “Phantom of the Tree-Tops”

#8 “Temple of the Mud Pit”

#11 “The Scarlet Shadow”

#14 “The Revenge of Zomax”

Big Red McLane

#1 “King of the North Woods”

#5 “The Sinister Stranger”

#7 “Sledge Sloane Gang”

PLANET COMICS

#2 "The Dashing, Slashing Adventure of the Great Solinoor Diamond"

DARING MYSTERY

#4 & #5, Whirlwind Carter stories

PLUS: the following stories still needed (HEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!):

JUNGLE (Fiction House)

#12 [The New Blitzers]

#3 The Timber Thieves

This will be a monster-seized collection of 31 Fletcher Hanks tales!!! Can ANYone help me find decent scans of those final 7 stories!!! They are all that is standing between me and total world domination....BWAA-HHHAAA_HHAAAAAA!!!!!

Hi guys,

I am just back from San Diego with an Eisner Ward in my fist for "I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks".

I returned home to find a CD with several stories that I did not already have for Volume II so, rest assured it will be out...maybe as soon as Spring 2009!

Many thanks to all of you who have supported this project. You guys are great!

-Paul

Hi Fletcher Hanks fans!

A big thanks to Jon Berk, collector extraordinaire and A-1 Good Guy. I drove to his house and we photographed two Hanks stories for the next book.

I am now down to only needing THREE more stories to be able to publish The Complete Fletcher Hanks: Fantomah from Jungle #5, Fantomah from Jungle #11, and Whirlwind Carter from Daring Mystery # 5.

You do NOT need to scan these books. Jon and I worked together to photograph the pages digitally. One of us held the book propped open so as not to damage the spine, and the other guy snapped the pic. Photographing the two stories took less than an hour from start to finish.

Of course it was hard not to get distracted by the remarkable collection of Mr. Berk. I'm STILL cross-eyed!

Anyhow, y'all, can ANYone help me with high res snaps of these final stories?

Please...HEEEEELLLPPPP!!!!!

For the past several months I have had a complete set of Fletcher Hanks stories except for one single elusive tale from Daring Mystery #5. For some reason this particular issue is extraordinarily rare. Frankly, I had just about given up hope.

Foolish mortal!

Thanks to a generous West coast collector and this board's own Mr. Parker for coming forward with a nice crisp scan ready for publication in, "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!"

Rumblings have sounded in some quarters that Volume II of The Complete Fletcher Hanks will be a diluted version of Volume I which has been misperceived as a Best-Of Collection. Volume II will contain stories that equal if not surpass many of the best tales from Volume I. In fact, the final missing story from Daring Mystery #5 is one of the all-time greats as shown in the crackerjack first page attached.

Nothing can now stop me from my plan to overtake the planet!

carter1.jpg

For the past several months I have had a complete set of Fletcher Hanks stories except for one single elusive tale from Daring Mystery #5. For some reason this particular issue is extraordinarily rare. Frankly, I had just about given up hope.

Foolish mortal!

Thanks to a generous West coast collector and this board's own Mr. Parker for coming forward with a nice crisp scan ready for publication in, "You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!"

Rumblings have sounded in some quarters that Volume II of The Complete Fletcher Hanks will be a diluted version of Volume I which has been misperceived as a Best-Of Collection. Volume II will contain stories that equal if not surpass many of the best tales from Volume I. In fact, the final missing story from Daring Mystery #5 is one of the all-time greats as shown in the crackerjack first page attached.

carter1.jpg

:applause:

Foolish mortal!

carter1.jpg

:applause:

That Parker is my Idol. (worship)