• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta auction on Ebay....

85 posts in this topic

in a world where mediocre Gene Colan TOS covers are $32K

where Byrne X-men splashes can sell for the price of a Ferrari and Ditko Spiderman art gets $8000 for a crappy page without Spidey or any villain in it $200,000 for this Thunda story is like manna from Heaven

While I agree this art is better than all the above mentioned things, those hero Silver-Age items prices are being supported by a large network of dealers, speculators, nostalgia, massive self interest and a large influx of money coming from sales of CGC books and other collectibles.

The Frazetta market IMO doesn't have the PUBLIC activity in it to draw those free-wheeling speculators. It's just a different market. I am surprised it sold, will be more willing to believe it when I see who got it. Probably to some European taking advantage of the weak dollar and sudden public availability of decent Frazetta which isn't usually as available in Europe. $200K was just a dream. Maybe in a few years if one or two more big sales draw the correct speculators or something unexpected and newsworthy happens to draw attention to the Frazetta market.

where Byrne X-men splashes can sell for the price of a Ferrari

An older, used Ferrari maybe. Even a new F430 (entry model) with limited options is going to run you over $300K once you throw in taxes and the ~$75K "market adjustment factor" for first-time Ferrari buyers. :gossip:

Just keeping things in perspective. :yeahok:

I just got off the phone with the buyer of the story. He is breaking it apart and has already sold pages 2 and 7.

Did he buy specifically to do this, or is he keeping some of the art for himself?

Just curious. (shrug)

You Said:

An older, used Ferrari maybe. Even a new F430 (entry model) with limited options is going to run you over $300K once you throw in taxes and the ~$75K "market adjustment factor" for first-time Ferrari buyers

I say:

guess what, I didn't say a "new Ferrari" which is something that even many multimillionaires can't buy because they may still be on a waiting list for 2012 for their model. But that's not the point I was making anyway.

My point is that when you have to pay as much as $50-150K for a John Byrne X-men splash (some are higher in special casesa nd there are a number in the $25-50 range also) and you can buy a 5-10 year old Ferrari 360 spider for that price.. well let me tell you as someone involved at the top of this hobby for 25 years before I decided to take a back seat that it is as out-of-whack as anything could be.

most of the bronze age garbage that guys pay the big bucks for today to me is total garbage on an artistic level as well as a financial level. I think that Todd MacFarlane is a hack, although I would admit he is a talented hack and when I see things like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avengers-170-Original-Cover-Art-by-Perez-Austin_W0QQitemZ280243841033QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think you bronze-modern collectors are just bonkers.

I've known George for almost 30 years from when I lived in New York and he is a great guy, but I know if we chatted he'd think you guys are nuts too.

I used to have one of the best collections of top quality pieces in the hobby. I sold 90% of it because I thought the pricing was no longer properly correlated to the material and while a portion of that material - specifically my great Silver DC art collection - has increased crazily, at the same time in real dollars from when I sold my personal stuff as a whole the inflationary value of the invested money wouldn't be much better than if I did the things I had done with the money, so clearly I knew what I was doing then and I'd say that I have a pretty good handle on it today as well.. I do after all still sell art, it's just when I get Silver/Bronze/Modern art I generally move it out with one phone call for a quick profit & let someone else sit with it to make their piece

But I digress.. I'd rather drive a 15 year old ferrari than have any of the bronze or modern era comic art ever created. Matter of fact, I do drive a 16 year old f-f-f-fast sports car.. and I paid for it with a Foster Sunday & Eisner spirit story in 1995.

I just got off the phone with the buyer of the story. He is breaking it apart and has already sold pages 2 and 7.

just goes to show russ should have done the same. he would have gotten more for it that way and you knew it was going to happen sooner or later

too bad though

You Said:

most of the bronze age garbage that guys pay the big bucks for today to me is total garbage on an artistic level as well as a financial level.

^^

sorry guys but its true

lol Bronty

I just wish all of you members identified yourselves in your profile, so I know who agrees with me

:-)

My own collecting focus is pre-1970s . . . but each to his own. (shrug)

I see very little, nowadays, that can impress me - but there's still a few surprises out there (Kev Walker, Mike Mayhew, Eric Powell, Brian Bolland, for example). (thumbs u

Todd MacFarlane . . . I never could understand the adulation for his art? (shrug)

most of the bronze age garbage that guys pay the big bucks for today to me is total garbage on an artistic level as well as a financial level. I think that Todd MacFarlane is a hack, although I would admit he is a talented hack and when I see things like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Avengers-170-Original-Cover-Art-by-Perez-Austin_W0QQitemZ280243841033QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I feel the same way about most of the golden age interior art...most of it is garbage on an artistic level (thumbs u

there's garbage in all eras and lots of it. The difference is the market for golden age drek is not there. Look at that Tomb of Terror 15 page in the marketplace. Its drek but its drek from a classic GA book and the owner still can't get even $200 for it.

A drek page from a classic marvel bronze would be several times that price.

there's garbage in all eras and lots of it. The difference is the market for golden age drek is not there. Look at that Tomb of Terror 15 page in the marketplace. Its drek but its drek from a classic GA book and the owner still can't get even $200 for it.

A drek page from a classic marvel bronze would be several times that price.

Nostalgia fuels the market.

Hey guys --

I agree there's drek in all eras, but to say that all Marvel Bronze is artistically doesn't seem true. Regardless of taste, there seems to be something for everyone in a list that includes Romita, Byrne, Perez, Starlin, Kane, Buscema(s), Miller, Cockrum, etc. Not to mention some seriously good inkers in Sinnott, Hunt, Marcos, Austin, et al.

Regarding the financial side, nostalgia does indeed increase demand and therefore the prices to silly levels. I can still find drek pages for $40 - $70, but they're not much to shout about in any regard -- Marvel Bronze age throwaway pages are about as throwaway as their Gold and Silver counterparts, I'm sure. Just a matter of degree.

Dan (who collects Marvel Bronze but doesn't shell out for poor artistry)

just goes to show russ should have done the same. he would have gotten more for it that way and you knew it was going to happen sooner or later

too bad though

I have not heard any explanations as to why Russ didn't break it up. It's not like there would have been any significant additional transaction costs by having 7 lots vs 1.