• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta auction on Ebay....

85 posts in this topic

I just got off the phone with the buyer of the story. He is breaking it apart and has already sold pages 2 and 7.

just goes to show russ should have done the same. he would have gotten more for it that way and you knew it was going to happen sooner or later

too bad though

I have not heard any explanations as to why Russ didn't break it up. It's not like there would have been any significant additional transaction costs by having 7 lots vs 1.

Perhaps the art was on consignment and the wishes of the consignor was to see the art sell as a complete unit. (shrug)

Whenever Russ has sold EC art, over the past three decades, he always kept the stories intact.

In an ideal world it would be nice if something as good as the Frazetta story would have remained complete (in the same way the historic debut story of SPIDER-MAN is intact).

Breaking the story up does present the opportunity to increase profit . . .

That's what it's all about nowadays, it would seem. hm

Hey guys --

I agree there's drek in all eras, but to say that all Marvel Bronze

reading is fundamental. The original post says "most bronze" not "all marvel bronze" :baiting:

it could just as easily say silver, gold, or modern. The point as I see it is that the price/quality/history equation is perhaps most of whack in bronze and modern.

writing is fundamental too... do you mean 'out of whack' ? ;O

...and I think by the tone and content of Richie's post, by 'most' he means closer to 99% than 51% of Bronze Age material. :o

...an opinion by the way that I strongly disagree with. :( DF

I just got off the phone with the buyer of the story. He is breaking it apart and has already sold pages 2 and 7.

just goes to show russ should have done the same. he would have gotten more for it that way and you knew it was going to happen sooner or later

too bad though

I have not heard any explanations as to why Russ didn't break it up. It's not like there would have been any significant additional transaction costs by having 7 lots vs 1.

Perhaps the art was on consignment and the wishes of the consignor was to see the art sell as a complete unit. (shrug)

Whenever Russ has sold EC art, over the past three decades, he always kept the stories intact.

In an ideal world it would be nice if something as good as the Frazetta story would have remained complete (in the same way the historic debut story of SPIDER-MAN is intact).

Breaking the story up does present the opportunity to increase profit . . .

That's what it's all about nowadays, it would seem. hm

It's about money but not necessarily in the way you describe. Very few have $100K lying around -- and if they could come up with that amount they wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable having that much of their collection in one set of pages by a single artist. I own several stories and find it enjoyable to read a story via the original art. But there are a number of artists that I wouldn't own at all except that the stories had been broken up.

From what I understand, this was straight from the Frazettas and it was being sold as per their specifications.

there's garbage in all eras and lots of it. The difference is the market for golden age drek is not there. Look at that Tomb of Terror 15 page in the marketplace. Its drek but its drek from a classic GA book and the owner still can't get even $200 for it.

Ahem... Ever think that the owner might be reading these threads?

Completely classless.

Of course I think it should be worth more, but didn't think it was fair to label the page as "drek" or "garbage" while it's currently on sale. I think that's low-class.

Oh come on now.. I think that Bronty can say what he wants as long as it's the truth and the truth is that the page he mentioned is indeed drek. But I'll go even further, I have lots of drek and I've sold lots of drek in and amongst the Fosters, Raymonds, Frazettas, Kirbys, Ditkos and Frank Millers that I've sold. If someone called it drek I didn't care because if the description is correct... I didn't have any complaints about it

get real Paull.. if you're selling garbage and someone say's it's garbage .. there isn't anything to whine about

of course I know why it angers you.. because you're trying to sell drek and you want someone to think it's a masterpiece, and you think his comments may affect the salability of the art. Listen, every week I sell 200-500 movie posters from my auctions site www.movieposterbid.com

of those 100s of pieces I sell weekly, 70-90% are drek. The buyers still want it. Do you know why?? Because drek is still popular

one more fact: one person's drek is another person's gold

one more fact: there is drek by every artist including Frazetta, Kirby, Ditko and Frank Miller. No one is immune from drek..

thank heaven though that intelligent people are immune from whiners who sell drek

thank heaven though that intelligent people are immune from whiners who sell drek

If you are bitter and want to grind your ax through jabs on a message board, find somewhere else.

you want someone to think it's a masterpiece

Don't be ridiculous... Look at the listing and tell me if I've either used hyperbole or am asking for a crazy amount of money.

I find this conversation to be pretty laughable since we're talking about a page worth under $200 that wasn't built up to be anything special. It's a comic book page that's for sale. What's the big deal?

When are "truth" and "class" in any way connected? He's certainly entitled to his opinion, and I'm not disputing that. But it was still low class to single me out.

But it was still low class to single me out.

that is the comment that is truly laughable Paull, especially because I know you can't possibly think that piece of garbage page can be anything but drek. That doesn't mean it isn't fun drek

But it's laughable because mostly you think nobody should criticize the art - regardless of owner. That just happened to be the page he pointed out. I'm sure he could point out many pieces in the marketplace that are equally drekish including a bit on my own sale list

I think that 95% of all comic art produced in the modern age is total drek and I've told some of the artists that when they've tried putting the hard sell to get me to handle their art back when I was interested enough to think of it,

I had a conversation with my friend Jim Steranko 3 years ago at Pulpcon. We were discussing the lessening quality of comic art. Jim and I have chatted about that stuff for years and we both agreed that modern comic art has turned the medium into spagetti and only makes comic books harder to read because all those little lines that have been jammed in by some artists make it too difficult to correlate the art & the text simultaneously. Then you also have the artists whose art is comparable to grammer school kids. More drek

by the way, to be fair. There is lots of golden age drek. Where there is considerably less drek however is the silver age, where both major companies had a huge stable of talented artists who truly understood the medium they were working in.. Vinny Colletta was not one of those artists however (sorry Vinny)

and Paull.. if you sell drek and someone calls it drek.. I suggest to you it's better that you accept it, because now there is a discussion on teh item being drek and more text calling your art drek only makes it more drekkish

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but if something is for sale and you don't like it, move along or PM them. It's threadcrapping otherwise and it's frowned upon here on the boards...

Same thing if someone has a comic for sale in the marketplace and you think it's overgraded or overpriced.

I'm sure he could point out many pieces in the marketplace that are equally drekish including a bit on my own sale list

Many pieces of drek in the marketplace but only a BIT on your list? OK, it's clear to me now.

there's garbage in all eras and lots of it. The difference is the market for golden age drek is not there. Look at that Tomb of Terror 15 page in the marketplace. Its drek but its drek from a classic GA book and the owner still can't get even $200 for it.

Ahem... Ever think that the owner might be reading these threads?

Completely classless.

I thought this was kinda low-class:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1158971&page=0&fpart=1

Maybe not in the same blunt "dog walks into your house and is unaware that it crapped on your floor" sorta way, but equally classless nonetheless.

Ironic.