• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All-Star Comics #3

46 posts in this topic

Hey GA collectors,

I am mainly a silver-age JLA collector (with great fondness for the JSA appearances). I'm looking for high-grade copies of BB #28 and JLA #1 right now,

but my next purchase after that would be All-Star Comics #3 or More Fun #56 (if I can find one for sale).

There is a very nice copy for sale and am wondering why there "seems to be very little interest" for this GA Key?

http://collectorsassemble.com/detail.php?issue_id=5584&return_id=56&page=1

Are you referring to the Detroit Trolley copy in particular, or just issue 3 in general? It seems like All Star 3 should guide for bigger dollars but maybe it's just simple supply and demand? I know it's on my wish-list. It's an iconic cover and right up there with any Timely. (thumbs u

There are only a dozen books that are more valuable. (Maybe 13 the way AF 15 is going), making it worth more than any timely except Marvel Comics #1 and Cap #1. Not bad for a book that is the first grouping of a team but lacks the introduction of any characters, significant or otherwise.

It's a great book, but the crazy increases in SA bringing values closer to GA books might give the impression that some of the old books are not as sought after.

I think there are lots of collectors going for runs now. I know I am. The Klyberg's of the world that collect keys are in the minority now. People that collect runs are more likely to collect runs of books that are still published or books that were published when they first got into the hobby. All-Star would not fit well into either category. I love the book but it is so far down on my list, I will never get to it.

Just my 2 cents.

All Star 3 was and is a serious book for GA collectors... however, it is quite high in the price quide, relative to current demand... I posed the question in another thread, about how All Stars "used" to be the run that serious GA collectors were measured by... I mean, it was "great" if you had a run of detectives, or actions, etc...but, if you didn't have a run of AS, seemed the old school didn't take you seriously as a GA collector... times have changed

I don't mind at all the the focus of DC collectors at the moment is on Actions, Detectives, Supermans, and Batmans. It's OK with me if everyone else focuses on them as I work on my All-Star run. (thumbs u

I think the entire run of All-Star is one of the most important golden age titles. I also think All-Star 3 is a very important key and can't quite understand why it has fallen out of fashion. (shrug) Sure, its critics point out that there is no first appearance in it, but I think they are underestimating the importance of the first super-hero team. It not only laid the groundwork for future teams like the JLA, FF, or X-men, but also other genre hero crossovers like Philip Jose Farmer's Wold-Newton family of literary heroes or its descendant, Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I also think GA collecting has become more focused on cover art than ever before, and some people don't like the cover of All-Star 3 because they're just sitting around a table. I disagree, and I think it's an terrific iconic cover image.

Here's my copy:

AllStarComics03.jpg

I don't mind at all the the focus of DC collectors at the moment is on Actions, Detectives, Supermans, and Batmans. It's OK with me if everyone else focuses on them as I work on my All-Star run. (thumbs u

I think the entire run of All-Star is one of the most important golden age titles. I also think All-Star 3 is a very important key and can't quite understand why it has fallen out of fashion. (shrug) Sure, its critics point out that there is no first appearance in it, but I think they are underestimating the importance of the first super-hero team. It not only laid the groundwork for future teams like the JLA, FF, or X-men, but also other genre hero crossovers like Philip Jose Farmer's Wold-Newton family of literary heroes or its descendant, Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I also think GA collecting has become more focused on cover art than ever before, and some people don't like the cover of All-Star 3 because they're just sitting around a table. I disagree, and I think it's an terrific iconic cover image.

Here's my copy:

AllStarComics03.jpg

I agree...I have about 15 various AS issues... I love them... All Stars and Green Lantern and All American, etc, are titles that don't get the "love" they deserve, but as RF states, that is better for those that collect them, keeps prices subdued (thumbs u

when Bob B first offered the Jerry Bails run of All Stars, I actually wanted to purchase the entire run, just couldn't afford it...but, I did manage to get the 50-57 small run:

as5057r.jpg

Probably my favorite GA book. I think alot of it has to do with my love for the recent incarnations of the characters. The JSA book written by Geoff Johns really brought these characters back to life and Justice Society Of America (current ongoing title) is perfect with Johns still writing and Alex Ross art.

I would take the All-Stars over most any keys. As a collector I think many of the covers are great sources of american history as to the status and happening of the U.S.A during WW2. The characters have been used through the entire history of comics, and have had some of the greatest stories I ever read. And as stated before, it should be considered more of a major key, but I wont complain because one day I may at least be able to afford it.

And I agree the other runs, where the JSA were introduced, and moved on to there own titles are often shadowed by the likes of the "Big" guy (Captain America, Superman, and Batman). The fact that people dont want to "dive" into collecting GA also makes me think , this may lead to the lack of popularity. The more I have sat here and listened (read) the discussions on the books rarity and pricing, I came to realise that some of these were affordable (to an extent). Many of these All_Stars can be had for the same price as Marvel Keys (minor) . So I came to realise books I was always to afraid to even ask to look at, were obtainable (in some grade).

It's alot of rambling but I think I made some decent points. In a nutshell I think people dont buy these books because they probably think they are too expensive. Which is true if you have been conditioned for collecting HG books only, and dont want anything Low Grade.

Here's my copy:

AllStarComics03.jpg

I agree 100% with RF on this one. I think it is a great cover and an even greater book. It has been, and always will be, one of my favorite comic books :cloud9:

Personally, I love the All-Star 3 book for its historical significance and iconic cover image. :cloud9:

Acquired Kyberg's copy at the last Heritage auction...a gorgeous copy!

2513970467_41ae456d49_b.jpg

GE

(worship) (worship)

Had to repost this just because:

mfun56.JPG

Keep posting it Plady, it keeps me from missing it too much. :grin:

this coming from the DC Goober's Chairman

Here's my copy:

AllStarComics03.jpg

I agree...I have about 15 various AS issues... I love them... All Stars and Green Lantern and All American, etc, are titles that don't get the "love" they deserve, but as RF states, that is better for those that collect them, keeps prices subdued (thumbs u

Great copy, RF (thumbs u

when Bob B first offered the Jerry Bails run of All Stars, I actually wanted to purchase the entire run, just couldn't afford it...but, I did manage to get the 50-57 small run:

as5057r.jpg

:applause: