• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silica

10 posts in this topic

Any use those silica peletes in their longboxes? or are they bad for the books?? :frustrated:

And the tape you use to seal the books in the mylar bags make a difference? Should I use that 100% acid free scrapbook tape or just regular scotch tape?? (shrug)

looks like the scotch tape rolls, says it is used for scrap booking and is 100% acid free. I was wondering does that make a diffrence does the tape mess with the comic in the long run.

Costs are almost the same the scrapbook tape is alittle more like $1 +

I use Avery Dots - a 3/14" or 1 1/4" circular removable adhesive paper "dot". it has advantages over tape.

1) Works well on mylar (I use Myltie 2)

2) Easy to just peel off the dot and stick it somewhere on the body of the mylar, well away from the flap. You do NOT want to pull a book from mylar with the tape anywhere near the flap from which the book is removed.

3) You can write in it. You can put notations on the "dot" since the front surface is paper. They come in colored or plain white. Work great for pricing books or for your personal collection to make whatever notations are important to you.

As far as silica gel goes, it can be useful to maintian humidity but you want to get some sort of humidity gauge to mearue the relative humidity of your environment.

The main thing with both temperature and humidity is maintainging a CONSTANT level. It is better for a bookm to have a bit higher temp and humidity than normal that is constant over time than temp/humidity that fluctautes a lot. The fluctuation wreaks havoc on the paper.

You may also want to look into inexpensive dehumidifiers but again, get a humidity gauge to meaure things.

You can avoid tape pulls entirely by stapling. It's Cheap and quick too. (thumbs u

Actually povertyrow gave the best response.