• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wall-E

36 posts in this topic

Saw it last night with my almost-6 stepson.

I really loved the first part. Beautiful, quiet scenes of wasteground Earth. Then the enjoyable comic moments of robot romance, and the mystery of Eve's mission and origins.

When they reached the Axiom, I was particularly pleased to find that the neotenized, pampered humans were not shown negatively, but actually were all very gentle, polite and friendly people who were simply the product of their environment. So many other films would have shown them as willfully ignorant, selfish and uncaring that this was a real breath of fresh air.

Up until this point I was delighted that the film depended on mystery and gradual revelation to maintain interest rather than a typical good guy vs bad guy scenario, so I was thoroughly disappointed when the 'bad guy' was revealed. The film went severely downhill as a result and the last third was pretty typical, average stuff.

8.5/10, very fine plus! :grin:

When they reached the Axiom, I was particularly pleased to find that the neotenized, pampered humans were not shown negatively, but actually were all very gentle, polite and friendly people who were simply the product of their environment. So many other films would have shown them as willfully ignorant, selfish and uncaring that this was a real breath of fresh air.

We saw Wall-E at Universal Studios in Orlando, and after spending a week at Disneyworld and Universal Studios, and after seeing mountainously fat people all over the place, many of whom were so grotesquely obese they couldn`t even walk anymore and instead had to ride little scooters everywhere, seeing the movie`s depiction of humans in 700 years could only make me think that the future is already here.

And we really liked the movie! (thumbs u

We saw Wall-E at Universal Studios in Orlando, and after spending a week at Disneyworld and Universal Studios, and after seeing mountainously fat people all over the place, many of whom were so grotesquely obese they couldn`t even walk anymore and instead had to ride little scooters everywhere, seeing the movie`s depiction of humans in 700 years could only make me think that the future is already here.

Yep, a pretty clear commentary on current trends! Did you notice at one point two people were driving alongside each other having a conversation via their mobile vid-phones, while they were 3 feet apart. We're almost there :grin:

Again though, I like that they weren't unpleasant or stupid people. Just the product of their environment and upbringing (note the horrific classroom scene: "A is for Axiom, your home sweet home. B is for Buy N Large, your very best friend.")

When Wall E knocked a guy off his chair, the chap was a little surprised and confused, and requested assistance, but didn't get angry or upset. Instead he was pleased to meet Wall E and shake his hand. This element of interpersonal contact became a motif as the spark that reignites these people's minds.

Of course, the captain, though obese and apparently thoughtless, was a perfectly intelligent and passionate man who had simply never been challenged or presented with the idea that anything else existed besides their effortless existence. As soon as he started Googling Earth customs his eyes lit up.

I was thoroughly expecting the people to scream in fear and disgust at Wall E, and call for police robots to incinerate or eject him immediately, because that is what happens in almost every other film containing a scene like that. It was a clever move to break that mould, which is why I was a bit disappointed that they still had to finish with a typical bad guy / crisis situation.

neotenized

Now there's a word I would have never expected to see on the Boards (unless it was referring to Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck).

And Wall-E gets (thumbs u (thumbs u from me :)

I've heard from a few people the same thing, not really a great kid's movie as it seems a bit slow for them and from kids I hear most often it was "OK". As for adults, I heard that it's great and some critics are saying it's one of the best movies of the year.

Yep, a pretty clear commentary on current trends! Did you notice at one point two people were driving alongside each other having a conversation via their mobile vid-phones, while they were 3 feet apart. We're almost there :grin:

Again though, I like that they weren't unpleasant or stupid people. Just the product of their environment and upbringing (note the horrific classroom scene: "A is for Axiom, your home sweet home. B is for Buy N Large, your very best friend.")

When Wall E knocked a guy off his chair, the chap was a little surprised and confused, and requested assistance, but didn't get angry or upset. Instead he was pleased to meet Wall E and shake his hand. This element of interpersonal contact became a motif as the spark that reignites these people's minds.

Of course, the captain, though obese and apparently thoughtless, was a perfectly intelligent and passionate man who had simply never been challenged or presented with the idea that anything else existed besides their effortless existence. As soon as he started Googling Earth customs his eyes lit up.

I was thoroughly expecting the people to scream in fear and disgust at Wall E, and call for police robots to incinerate or eject him immediately, because that is what happens in almost every other film containing a scene like that. It was a clever move to break that mould, which is why I was a bit disappointed that they still had to finish with a typical bad guy / crisis situation.

Yeah, totally agree.

I went to see Wall-E on a first date with a beautiful, sweet girl who loves reading comics! Best way to see that movie IMO.

Here's to the second and third date. (thumbs u

Thanks! For the second we saw Dark Knight. And the third, we went hiking! :cloud9:

Saw it today with my 6-year old girl and we both loved it.

It's just obvious that Pixar is light-years ahead of anybody else when it comes to making animated movies that appeal to both kids & grown-ups alike - no ill will towards the Shrek's, Kung Fu Panda's and the like, as they're good movies too, but they don't come close to anything that Pixar puts out when it comes down to the level of visual detail, the stories, and the character development.

I don't know, I thought Shrek 3 was right up there. Especially with all the fairy-tale characters.

But Cars is just brilliant, even though I've watched it 88 gazillion times with Junior.

My wife and I saw it on a digital screen last night and loved it. I need to see again though, there was this little boy sitting in his mom's lap in front of us that kept saying "Wall-E" all through out the movie and was distracting at times.

Good thing you were not sitting by me... I was screaming

"FOREIGN CONTAMINANT" in a robot voice throughout the film.