• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I want back in.

56 posts in this topic

I used to post here all the time. I liked participating in many of the controversial subjects about comics, among other basic comic-geek topics. But I lost my passion for the hobby. I miss it. I used to also buy and sell alot on Ebay (and here). Not any more. I do have the San Diego con coming up again, 16th year in a row, and regardless of my lack of interest in comics these days, I'm excited as hell.

How do I get back in? I'm not a "reader", so picking up any new stories won't do it. It's that collecting bug that hasn't bit me in a while. The passion to seek out that high grade book that I can send in to CGC and anxiously await my results. That cool looking 70s cover, that book I remember from my childhood, etc.

My biggest obstacle, which I need to overcome, is the lack of desire to spend money on books. There are always so many other things that seem to be better uses of my "disposable" income (or even credit). Travel, musical gear, home upgrades, entertainment......

Have any of you lost your interest, and if so, how did you find it again?

I'd suggest keep working on the stuff you like. Once you get to where you want to be in those areas, you might be in a better place mentally to focus on comics again. I get this way with my hobbies, and come back to them when I feel like the other hobbies are adequately enjoyed.

"My biggest obstacle, which I need to overcome, is the lack of desire to spend money on books."

Actually, if this is your mindset, don't get back into it. If you want to remain casually involved I'd go with trades, Showcase and/or Essentials. Oh, I forgot. you aren't a reader. Oh well...maybe it's just not meant to be. Especially if you enjoy collecting/playing bass guitars...heck Heston liked guns...whatever floats your boat...

I've personally trying to tone it down on the "bright thingee" collecting bug, and going to buying presentable books I can read, smell and enjoy.

How's it going Sid! No real adventures here anymore :P Brad being banned was probably the only thing that's happened here.

Actually, I just don't think it's something you get back "in" to.

I stopped reading somwhere in the neighborhood of 1974 and

it was almost thirty years til I got back in. You gotta have a

love for whatever you're into.

I used to post here all the time. I liked participating in many of the controversial subjects about comics, among other basic comic-geek topics. But I lost my passion for the hobby. I miss it. I used to also buy and sell alot on Ebay (and here). Not any more. I do have the San Diego con coming up again, 16th year in a row, and regardless of my lack of interest in comics these days, I'm excited as hell.

How do I get back in? I'm not a "reader", so picking up any new stories won't do it. It's that collecting bug that hasn't bit me in a while. The passion to seek out that high grade book that I can send in to CGC and anxiously await my results. That cool looking 70s cover, that book I remember from my childhood, etc.

My biggest obstacle, which I need to overcome, is the lack of desire to spend money on books. There are always so many other things that seem to be better uses of my "disposable" income (or even credit). Travel, musical gear, home upgrades, entertainment......

I'd put your dilemma under "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". You're excited about going to the SD Con and "travel, musical gear, home upgrades, entertainment..."

It reads like you have your spending priorities supporting exactly what you enjoy, so what's wrong with that? (shrug)

Hanging out and posting on comic book chat boards is free. So stay and enjoy yourself. (And maybe by hanging out some comic books will ping your must-buy radar again. Who knows? ...free to find out...)

Take a look at your existing collection.

Collections bring together in one place a series of objects that used to have only individual meaning. There should be a sense of pleasure in the combination of these objects and a greater meaning resulting from their collection.

A collection of comic books should provide the same feeling. Your books in a collection, or series of collections, should provide you with a sense of aesthetic, nostalgic (old friends) or historical achievement.

If you cannot feel this, then perhaps this is not the right time to be investing time or money in these books.

One perspective ....

I'd put your dilemma under "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". You're excited about going to the SD Con and "travel, musical gear, home upgrades, entertainment..."

It reads like you have your spending priorities supporting exactly what you enjoy, so what's wrong with that? (shrug)

Actually, it is a little bit "broke". I miss the passion that I had, I want to get it back. The thing about comics, at least for me, is that the comics want nothing back. Whether I am traveling or playing music, just about everything else I do involves other people. That's great, that is what life is all about, but I kind of miss the thing that I do alone, with no expectations from anyone else, no one else to please. That's comics for me.

I think I will try just placing a few Ebay ads to sell some books, then "force" myself to find something interesting with the proceeds. Just churning comics for comics. Could be fun, I can rationalize that. Nothing I'm looking for at the moment, but it may stir up the bugs again, and if I'm lucky, one of those suckers will bite me good. I'm also hoping San Diego will get me going again.

I lost my interest due to Image and all those crappy stories back in the 1990`s. what were some of your favorite comics when you collected? maybe we can rekindle the interest? I hear ya about the money part unless it`s a top key book like Amazing Fantasy 15, it`s hard to part with a thousand dollars on some cgc 5.5 comic when you can get a hdtv plasma tv or even a ounce of gold. so you have a point there.

I lost my interest due to Image and all those crappy stories back in the 1990`s. what were some of your favorite comics when you collected? maybe we can rekindle the interest? I hear ya about the money part unless it`s a top key book like Amazing Fantasy 15, it`s hard to part with a thousand dollars on some cgc 5.5 comic when you can get a hdtv plasma tv or even a ounce of gold. so you have a point there.

OR a birdseye maple Strat, or a new phlanger, or a new EVH5150 III.

I hear ya about the money part unless it`s a top key book like Amazing Fantasy 15, it`s hard to part with a thousand dollars on some cgc 5.5 comic when you can get a hdtv plasma tv or even a ounce of gold. so you have a point there.

Exactly, that's my problem. I wish I bought gold a few years ago, but not at today's prices. But actually, looking at comics as investments is one of the ways I am trying to justify some purchases. The other options I have with the same funds are usually entertainment/vacation or depreciating asset based. But yeah, a grand on comics instead of on a fancy new TV or (another) bass is hard to justify, considering those things have a greater impact on my life, as opposed to a comic that sits in a box or on a shelf and "does nothing" other than to give me pleasure in ownership. That's been my problem, trying to justify the purchases.

Yeah, I love the birdseye maple fretboards without any dots or blocks, no need for effects though, I'm a bass player dude, effects just get in the way.

Yeah, I love the birdseye maple fretboards without any dots or blocks, no need for effects though, I'm a bass player dude, effects just get in the way.

damn you bassists

im a guitarist

gibson les paul, or a low grade AF #15?

that is the question :D

Sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself into collecting again when your heart isn't into it...

When the time comes that you do reenter the hobby...you'll know...

Right now it's nostalgia talking...

Jim

I kind of miss the thing that I do alone, with no expectations from anyone else, no one else to please. That's comics for me.

Interesting. It was my girlfriend (now wife) who reignited my passion. I was "missing it" like you but needed her nudge to start up again. She doesn't collect with me but her encouragement helps.