• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - so who is currently selling on eBay???

55 posts in this topic

Sell them quick, brace yourself for the mass of negatives and attempted extortion, then set up a new account.

Thats what i was gonna say. I think im gonna give ebay a rest for a while.

But, looking on the bright side of that coin (no retaliatory negatives)

I just bought a nice set of items from a seller and out of the collection

one was clearly broken, the seller sent me a new one free of charge.

So I guess the sellers know the new power of buyer feedback.

Real bad when you are a seller though, because I am sure people take advantage.

And I sure that I am a blocked bidder on that sellers account, but I don't really give a craap.

:P

Sell them quick, brace yourself for the mass of negatives and attempted extortion, then set up a new account.

Thats what i was gonna say. I think im gonna give ebay a rest for a while.

But, looking on the bright side of that coin (no retaliatory negatives)

I just bought a nice set of items from a seller and out of the collection

one was clearly broken, the seller sent me a new one free of charge.

So I guess the sellers know the new power of buyer feedback.

Real bad when you are a seller though, because I am sure people take advantage.

And I sure that I am a blocked bidder on that sellers account, but I don't really give a craap.

I agree, but here is the thing, i always took care of the buyer. If something was broken or not delivered i always sent another. Now it is just happening more and more frequently. The few that scam kinda ruin everything. I just got a negative because the guy didnt like the shipping quote from NJ to CA for over 150 pounds worth of stuff. He didnt even buy the products. He ended the auction, didnt pay for the product and can still leave a negative feedback?? Whats up with that??

that's why I started this thread to see if there was a work around

for these new rules.

I'm not going to lube up with a smile for the buyers to sell my craap.

It would take a lot more money for me to kiss a buyers arse

and the nickel and dime stuff that I planning on selling just isn't worth it.

I'll give all my chit to Good Will before I join that Circle Jerk.

that's why I started this thread to see if there was a work around

for these new rules.

I'm not going to lube up with a smile for the buyers to sell my craap.

It would take a lot more money for me to kiss a buyers arse

and the nickel and dime stuff that I planning on selling just isn't worth it.

I'll give all my chit to Good Will before I join that Circle Jerk.

Masking some feelings?

You may want to visit a psychiatrist.

F'ing eBay raised the 10 day listing fee from 10 cents to 40 cents!

I found this out last night when listing an item. :eek:

I posted this here since this is the most current eBay thread and I didn't want to start a whole new thread about eBay.

:whatev:

I posted this here since this is the most current eBay thread and I didn't want to start a whole new thread about eBay.

hey, brotha's gotta eat too...

400% increase for 3 extra days?

They make the post office look like misers. doh!

I was wondering with all the changes, do you have any tips

to someone who has been out of the selling loop?

I need to flip about 300-400 items (mostly carded Star Wars figures)

and I would like to sell them without getting screwed.

Also is there a current "blocked bidder" list that I need to enforce?

any help would be awesome.

the nerf.

Frankly,

If they are vintage figures or uncommon to rare modern figures you should save yourself the trouble and check out Brian's Toys website. www.brianstoys.com

His buying prices are rather good (or they were when I sold mine).

They were so good that when I was selling my vintage carded boxed collection a couple years ago (worried about yellowing bubbles, storage issues, lack of interest in keeping the stuff) their buy prices were actually better than what I would have gotten on Ebay selling them individually. And I did not have to go thru the trouble of listing and photographing each one individually and selling them off one at a time.

The buy prices were so good that I actually loaded a van to the top with items and drove them from Chicago to the Wisconsin/MInnesota border to drop the pieces off in person.

Brian is a good guy to deal with too,

Best,

Chris

An interesting sidenote:

I was dealing with brian weekly on stuff back about 12-13 years ago. He was starting to advertise in the big collectible magazines. I was buying stuff to stock in my store. SW was pretty big then and the market hadn't been hurt bad by ebay as it has so much these days. The toys were going up and up. I had customers willing to buy whatever I could get and pay my decent markup on it.

I actually was dealing with BRIAN himself, probably not who you can get to these days. He was in HIGH SCHOOL. His dad used to drive with him to pick up collections around the US in their pickup truck. He then went off to MIT I believe it was, for a business degree (I never could understand the business degree at MIT but what do I know). He was hard to get in college (cell phones weren't really commonplace) and he must have shared one in the dorms. Wasn't long til he quit college and moved back home. I heard it was something to the tune of "losing too much money being at college".

He was certainly rolling in dough then as I remember he was coming to New Orleans one year for the Superbowl, HE had bought tickets for him and his dad plus travel. And the tickets were like 4-5k total.

An American Success Story for sure.

Now here is a new one

A Package was sent to the buyer with tracking number & insurance, Buyer says stuff came damaged & want new ones right away & get this, He doesn't want to send the damaged products back. I was willing to pay the shipping on his part, but says he does not want to do the legwork to the Post office. I can't believe Ebay is not doing anything about that.

Just my two cents here, but I like the Ebay store format.

It has several advantages over the auction format that will I think eventually disappear on ebay.

You get to name your price which is an advantage to the seller, but not the buyer.

Although the best offer function does allow for negotiation which Ill never understand why more dont use it. While there fees are high much higher in stores by naming your own price it counteracts the fees for the most part.

Your listings can either be montly or GTC(Good Till Closed). You can load up ebay turbo lister and list all at once or periodically. I can only list on weekends usually due to kids, work and such. People will return to your store if you offer negotiated prices, good packing, good customer service(this means you notify them when it ships and we you got there payment at least), and good grading. Some people believe you pay for what you get believe it or not.

Flat rate envelope shipping has really helped store format. For a few months I was doing almost 40% international sales, which skyrocketed when our dollar lost value. Pack them well and they will return to you as well.

I dont do many slabbed so I cant comment on that market to only say this. Dont get into selling slabs unless you know how to grade well and you understand both GPA and the Census in CGC. Slabbing a book that has a 1,000 of high grade copies like Wolverine 1 Mini is just senseless.

Specialize in books that are harder to find, lower print runs and high or very low grade. If a buyer is looking to combine shipping they are more inclined to buy your copy of Widgets 1 that has 20 copies on ebay if they already bought 5 other books from. Believe it or not people still read comics.

Which brings me to my last point. Keep your combine shipping cheap. Cant tell you how many sellers charge an extra $1.00 to combine books. I charge $.25 per 2 books so the first additional is basically free. I cap it at $5.00 and eat any extra. Not saying this is the best way, but I think its fair.

Just my two cents.

Now here is a new one

A Package was sent to the buyer with tracking number & insurance, Buyer says stuff came damaged & want new ones right away & get this, He doesn't want to send the damaged products back. I was willing to pay the shipping on his part, but says he does not want to do the legwork to the Post office. I can't believe Ebay is not doing anything about that.

I'd let my middle finger do the talking to this clown.

Would you believe That I have a 99.6% feedback rating & now as of this morning I got suspended with No legitimate reason for 30 days, I am beyond livid over this. Ebay has taken no action against the buyers who are getting away with scamming people & giving them more ways to be creative.

Looks like I will be doing more local shows / conventions or posting a lot of other stuff on our website that is not supplies.

I am opened to other suggestions.

Charles

For those with an ebay store, when you list items, do they get quick looks or do they sit a while?

Some things sell quickly, some things have sat for years. The stuff that has gathered dust sometimes gets picked up when someone is buying a stack of books and getting my free shipping deal. I have eliminated some cheap stuff that will probably sell better in lots. Also, I have done a p*ss poor job of updating my store stock though in the last 18 months, mainly because my old fantastic quick easy to use scanner died and I made the mistake of buying one of these HP combos, which is a huge PITA. so sales have been slow. I was selling better when I had 5-6X as many books in the store. But I still was running auctions every week or two to help bring in traffic.

what's the point of paying for insurance if the recipient isn't going to cooperate in doing what needs to be done? can't he just schedule a pick-up and he doesn't need to go to the post-office?

i had a guy claim the slab got cracked (a month after he received the package he told me this) and wanted the re-slabbing fee. The auction said S/H included insurance and I had paid for insurance on the darn thing and, of course, he tells me he didn't have the packaging anymore (although he supposedly "just" opened up the package because he had been on vacation). I offered a full refund with return postage paid...no no, he wanted the book..The guy owned 100 slabbed copies of this book so a close-up picture would be meaningless. frigging scammers.

the ebay suspensions being handed out are bizarre.

Right now, I am at the point that I will get rid of ebay altogether. I have talked to a few dealers that were posting on ebay as long as I have. We all saw this coming, Once Ebay changed their feedback policies, It opened up a door for buyers to take advantage of certain situations on their rules & knowing the seller has no say in any matter. We knew that we will get more negatives & we knew that the scamming is out of control.

I had someone ended an auction & left a negative because he felt shipping was too high, I can document the proof that I wasn't gauging on shipping. Ebay didn't want to hear about that.

The sad thing is that only a handful of these scammers that Ebay is now protecting has ruined the millions of good & decent buyers from getting the opportunity to get a great deal on Ebay.

Originally Posted By: nerfherder-3
 Originally Posted By: Aces

I found this out last night when listing an item. eek.gif

gaz.gif

\:p

They make the post office look like misers. doh\!

Do you actually find a difference in the selling price with a ten day auction versus a seven day auction? I never have and quite frankly, from a buying standpoint, I tend to forget about items that are listed for ten days and miss bidding on them altogether.

Originally Posted By: nerfherder-3

I found this out last night when listing an item. eek.gif

gaz.gif

\:p

They make the post office look like misers. doh\!

Do you actually find a difference in the selling price with a ten day auction versus a seven day auction? I never have and quite frankly, from a buying standpoint, I tend to forget about items that are listed for ten days and miss bidding on them altogether.

(worship)