• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greggy's misadventure in Chicago Wizard June, 2008

24 posts in this topic

This is my first slide show with the usual cast of comic geeks's 1st trip to Chicago Wizard con starring greggy, aardvark88, Ed from Vancouver, BC.

Vivaldi music by Johann S. Bach. Chief photographer: aardvark88.

X-overs by roy1970d, gary/Moondog, skypink wearing blue, Andy/October, richard Henn/toon Tumblers.

This only shows 1/2 of my pics to keep the running time down to about 3 minutes, as you have already read previous detailed Chicago comicon reports all week.

Timeline:

Wed. greggy descends upon Chicago.

Thurs. all day at my first Wizard Con

Fri. 27 ppl at Venus Greek town including greggy, Angelo/Watcher, drWatson, King of Rulers, Joeypost, Spud Comics, Rhino, Arex, detroitMike and fiancee Carrie, Socratic Wonder and gf Sheena, mutantKeys's birthday, thirdgreenham and wife Rickie, etc.

Sat. day trip via $2 Blue line rail to downtown Chicago tourist traps: Millenium Park, Field Museum, Space and Science Technology Museum, Navy Pier (as recommended by Sharon/skypink).

Unexpected pic of mutantKeys's gf dressed up as Jessica Alba's cowgirl from Frank Miller's Sin City can be viewed here:

th_eefd7796.jpg

(thumbs u

weren't those flash gordon dolls great? where's some pix of the comics you bought? :baiting:

There was also a huge 4 x 8 foot display of 1928 Buck Rogers (not Flash Gordon dolls) at the Science and Space Museum on my buddy's other digital camera.

I only bought a few SA, and GA comics. The 2 priciest were pre-ordered from hi-end forumites like gator Rick/detective27kids and Andy/October. Guess I bought their sloppy seconds. hm

I wanted to edit my own fave rock n roll music onto the slide show, but just used the canned Classical selection from Photobucket.com. Last week, they had some cool slide show borders like ASM 3 or Hulk 2 movies that could be edited around your tourist pics. Rotates weekly.

Rest of the Chicago con pics are too embarrassing to post or YouTube. The MISadventures of greggy, indeed! :devil:

Great slideshow!! :applause:

The piece is Concerto for Two Violins in A Minor by Antonio Vivaldi. JS Bach did not have any involvement though he did transcribe a version for piano.

Not that any one else here is a music geek. :sorry:

I sure hope Wizard does not move the con to Schaumburg in 2009. theWatcher/Angelo mentioned to greggy that it is out in the boonies and would attract fewer fans.

I loved the Blue line light rapid transit train. An unlimited ride day pass was a measly $5 including transfers to buses or tourist trolleys. Only took about 40 minutes from Rosemont (which is 1 transit stop away from O'hare airport) to downtown core of Chicago. A little further to Greek town. Angelo was nice enough to reserve the Venus Cypros restaurant for us which was closer to the train station than his 2nd choice Greek eatery. :applause:

ChicagoWizard08-118.jpg

Pre-ordered the More Fun (Spectre) Cgc 8.5 plod from Rick/Detective27kid and the Detect #16 from Andy/October .

The nice Magic/Mandrake and my 1st Suspense (Continental) comic came from John Hauser. Perhaps detroitMike would be willing to sell his Suspense Comic to me in the future? :gossip:

Bought the 1st Ditko cover Thing #12 from Dale Roberts raw, as I wanted to read the Cinderalla horror story . Next day, I saw that Hauser had a slabbed copy of this scarce comic for sale.

Overall a great 5 day vacation, and I recommend that forumites spend at least 1 day downtown away from Wizard comicon to see and smell Chicago. For the gf or spouse, she may enjoy Macy's, Filene's Basement, TJ Max, or the outdoor Navy Pier! :golfclap:

Great slideshow!! :applause:

The piece is Concerto for Two Violins in A Minor by Antonio Vivaldi.

I would have leaned towards "classical gas" in the greggy context. hm