• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scalping San Diego con tix on Ebay

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys, it was mentioned briefly on one of the San Diego threads in the comics events section but I thought the subject was interesting enough and would get more attention here. Looks as if "scalpers" are selling both the sold out 4-day full membership pass as well as the sold out Saturday only pass for the upcoming San Diego con. Originally the full pass sold for $75 and Saturday only sold for $35, now the full pass is being scalped on Ebay for up to $600 (but averaging about $250 - $300) and the Saturday only pass is being sold for $150 - $300 itself.

Currently for sale:

http://tickets.search.ebay.com:80/san-diego-comic_Event-Tickets_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ16122

Already sold:

http://tickets.search-completed.ebay.com:80/san-diego-comic_Event-Tickets_W0QQcatrefZC12QQdfspZ1QQfclZ3QQfisZ2QQflocZ1QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfssZ0QQsaaffZafdefaultQQsabfmtsZ0QQsacatZ16122QQsacurZ0QQsaobfmtsZexsifQQsaslcZ0QQsaslopZ1

What do you guys think about this? It is one thing if somebody has the intention of going but then has to cancel and needs to sell his ticket, but there are many of these sellers that I imagine bought multiple tickets and planned on scalping shortly before the con, knowing that the tickets would sell out (like it happened the last two years) and thus taking advantage of the fans that were late in buying their tickets. Are these sellers smart, or are they slimy? Is it even legal? I was shocked yesterday when I found out about this, I would have never imagined it. In a sense I can understand that if someone knew a way of taking advantage of the system, at least as long as it is legal, and then did this, I guess I can understand the motivation behind it, especially if a fan is hard for cash and needs extra money to spend at the con, but most likely there are sellers here that could care less about the con itself and just found another way to make money off tickets for a popular event. It's unfair though any way you think about it.

The name on the SDCC pass can be legally transferred to another fan/collector up to a certain date (next Friday?) per the fine print on their website. Then again, I don't think security will squint to see if you really are Mrs greggy per your tag name. Are most passes still mailed out to SDCC fans ahead of time?

I'm guessing a lot of the swag given away at the show will also be sold down the road. It is what it is. (For $300 I am pretty sure my wife would rather get a massage and go shopping instead of attending the show on Saturday. If people are that desperate for ticket it would make everyone happy.)

This stuff goes on for all kinds of events and I can't complain because when I need a ticket to an event, I am glad I can go buy one, even if it means I have to pay a premium.

Are most passes still mailed out to SDCC fans ahead of time?

Nope, not anymore. All passes are picked up at the show.

They started to do that in 2002. In 2001, all the US residents had theirs sent to them. Once they started having everyone have to pick them up in 2002, the line ups were crazy, which led me to get Exhibitor passes since then. :sumo:

I responded to this on the other thread and I feel very strongly about it.

I've clicked around on some of the Ebay auctions on the link and they don't appear to be "ticket brokerage" agencies. In other words, they appear to be amateur slime, not professional slime. If they're collectors who decided not to go to the show after all, why don't they put their ticket on Ebay with a BIN equal to the cost? Some of them probably are collectors who are adding to their SDCC nest egg by doing this, and the rest are just opportunists who saw a way to make a buck. Either way they're d0uchebags.

Just my 2 pennies.

rantrant

I've clicked around on some of the Ebay auctions on the link and they don't appear to be "ticket brokerage" agencies. In other words, they appear to be amateur slime, not professional slime. If they're collectors who decided not to go to the show after all, why don't they put their ticket on Ebay with a BIN equal to the cost? Some of them probably are collectors who are adding to their SDCC nest egg by doing this, and the rest are just opportunists who saw a way to make a buck. Either way they're d0uchebags.

Just my 2 pennies.

rantrant

If they are collectors who changed their mind - or changed their mind because they can now sell their ticket for a price - I see no harm. If someone buys a comic book and then decides he no longer wants or needs he, he sells it at a profit if demand for it has increased. He's not slime because he sold it for more than he paid.

Half the tickets for Thursday and Sunday are still available, so anyone who wants to go to the con can go for face value. We are getting pretty selective about how other people should spend their money. We are fine with selling the free swag from the show, but not OK with people selling tickets for market value, the same way sports, theater and concert tickets are sold by professional scalpers and individuals?

Just my 2 pennies.

rantrant

If they are collectors who changed their mind - or changed their mind because they can now sell their ticket for a price - I see no harm. If someone buys a comic book and then decides he no longer wants or needs he, he sells it at a profit if demand for it has increased. He's not slime because he sold it for more than he paid.

Half the tickets for Thursday and Sunday are still available, so anyone who wants to go to the con can go for face value. We are getting pretty selective about how other people should spend their money. We are fine with selling the free swag from the show, but not OK with people selling tickets for market value, the same way sports, theater and concert tickets are sold by professional scalpers and individuals?

Some of the sellers on Ebay seem to have several auctions going. I guess each of them plus all their friends decided they can't go. Sure...

Well, I agree with you on a couple of things: I don't really care what people do with their free swag and of course people sell comics for a profit all the time. However, I'm not fine with professional scalpers selling sports, theater and concert tickets either. I go to a lot of concerts and the scalping agencies have had a stranglehold on tickets for years. I don't think selling swag or comics is the same as gobbling up tickets and reselling them.

This issue really touches a nerve with me, and we'll just have to disagree. I still think these guys scalping SDCC tix are dirtbags.

It sounds unfare and unjust but no more different than someone who flips comics for a few extra bux. Why don't they leave those books on the shelves for collectors to buy at cover price. The same thing with investment books. Why do people buy key books only to turn around and sell the for a hirer price? We live in a Capitalist country and it's not perfect but it beats the hell out of a communist system.

Anyhow, try buying your tickets well in advance.

my question is with all these ding bats paying ?$600? +or - for ticks if they had that kind of cash why did they not pre order well in advance?! IMO its is there own fault of the buyers paying more than it is any scalpers fault for taking advantage :S

I brought my 4 day or what not pass like one or two months ago because I was afraid of it selling out by then :S