• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did Spider-Man become Polished?

21 posts in this topic

I have been a collector of the Amazing Spider-Man since 1976. I eventually completed my run around 1994 and having been up to date since. As such, I am a collector first and reader second. But I still do read each issue.

The Brand New Day redirection is trying to take Peter back to his roots as more the hard luck guy that struggles with self-confidence and villians it should take him around two minutes to defeat. Screwball, give me a break.

But the question on the table is: When did Spider-Man become the polished super-hero that required him to be converted back to?

I posted this here in the Silver Age, because I felt that Peter had finally grown up toward the later part of the Silver Age. Maybe as the stories began to get grittier, Spider-Man finally got his act together. Maybe it was having a girl like Gwen. I'm not saying he still wasn't a hardluck hero, but that he was more polished. A man's super-hero.

Any thoughts?

Congrats on the Amazing Spiderman collection. I plan on completeing mine before the years end.

Anyhow, I love Spiderman but I'll be honest, I really don't read much of the newer modern stuff. I perfer reading the older Silver age and Bronze age issues. I feel about the same as you, that Spiderman was showing signs of maturing and becoming a Man's Hero so to say. It just seemed to me, that Marval misplaced his identity once he hit the modern age.

I suppose that old-timers would say that Romita changed Peter Parker. Peter mets Mary Jane, buys a motor bike and hangs out at the Coffee Bean (groovy for 1966).

Where did the phrase black ball come from anyways?

I haven't read all the modern Spidey stuff but I think when Spiderman started dating MJ and MJ started making big bucks as a model/actress Pete's fortunes changed. Started living in a fancy apartment and the storyline changed more to a MJ is always working and a what's wrong with our relationship storyline. I think getting married to MJ would also be a huge change from the nerd chasing girls storyline.

Man, I hope you guys understood I was joking about the Blackball deal :blush: Anyhow this is what I found out about that subject.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

One of the earliest ballot boxes using ballottas. This ballot box was used by members of the Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia, a social club.Blackballing was a technique used in elections to membership of a gentlemen's club (as well as similarly organised institutions such as Freemasonry and fraternities). The principle of such a club was that it was self-perpetuating; i.e., new members could only be elected by existing members. This was to ensure that new members were congenial to the old members, which helped to preserve the ethos (and exclusivity) of the club. The term is also used as a synonym to blacklist.

Anyhways, I didn't even think about the Wedding and MJ. I can't help but think that had an effect on it even if it wasn't the main part.

Man, I hope you guys understood I was joking about the Blackball deal :blush: Anyhow this is what I found out about that subject.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

One of the earliest ballot boxes using ballottas. This ballot box was used by members of the Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia, a social club.Blackballing was a technique used in elections to membership of a gentlemen's club (as well as similarly organised institutions such as Freemasonry and fraternities). The principle of such a club was that it was self-perpetuating; i.e., new members could only be elected by existing members. This was to ensure that new members were congenial to the old members, which helped to preserve the ethos (and exclusivity) of the club. The term is also used as a synonym to blacklist.

Anyhways, I didn't even think about the Wedding and MJ. I can't help but think that had an effect on it even if it wasn't the main part.

Membership of a gentlemen's club.........wait a sec......that's.....that's.....us.

My favorite Spidey is definately pre marriage. I prefer the hungry, no $$ in pocket character to the marriage troubles character.

I have no valid opinion on this matter...haven't read a Spidey comic (except for the odd issue such as #248) since about issue 122... (shrug)

signed...Old School...

:sorry:

The Peter Parker drama definitely took a turn when he moved out and went to college but the polished parker happened when he finally left college. With no studies to worry about it also seemed like his money problems were an after thought and the focus was on the MJ storyline leading to marriage.

My favorite Spidey is definately pre marriage. I prefer the hungry, no $$ in pocket character to the marriage troubles character.

Agreed

Selling blood to buy Aunt May medicine, having JJJ bitschslap him around

the office and Robbie toking on the pipe outside the office.

Every time I read the title of this thread, I find myself reading, "When did Spider-Man become Polish?"

I think it's the upper case P in the title that throws me.

Agreed

Selling blood to buy Aunt May medicine, having JJJ bitschslap him around

the office and Robbie toking on the pipe outside the office.

You have a way with words towards2112.

I have no valid opinion on this matter...haven't read a Spidey comic (except for the odd issue such as #248) since about issue 122... (shrug)

signed...Old School...

Truth be told, I haven't read that many Marvels cover priced more than .25. Would rather buy a beat up Silver comic for $5 than a new copy for $5.

signed...Old School...

Same here for the most part. I quit collecting comics for the first time at age 13 because of #122.

I've been a Spiderman fan from the beginning till Marvel gave him that silly Spider-Mobile vehicle which really turned me off at that time (I think that was around 1973-74). After that I just picked up books once in a while until 1980, when I started reading again, this time for about 6 years or so!!!

Anyway I would agree that when Parker graduated from college that would be the turning point as was stated earlier.

Marvel has messed with this character so much that I can't see how he'll ever be the Spidey I know & love!!! Up until around 1967 though, he was awesome!!! :headbang:

Just my opinion!!!!