• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$15 for shipping one book?

22 posts in this topic

Funny you should mention this. I am communicating with a seller with whom I won a book for $16.66, my final total was $28.24. The seller has 100% feedback, and he only lives an hour away from me.

$14-16 is how much it costs to ship 1 Cgc comic from USA all the way up to Canada. juggle.gif

What method? I found $14 by "prioroty" was about $4 via airmail.

When I ship to Canada from California it costs about $5.50 uninsured, insured runs about $15.00 , both Air Post.

Preposterous. If you can't negotiate the shipping down to no more than $5, this seller deserves a neutral fb, if not a neg. *Someone's* got to alert other buyers to this devious tactic!

We've discussed this ad nauseum. If his shipping rate is clearly listed in the auction, too bad. There's no "negotiating" - you agreed to the shipping rate when you made the purchase.

If the guy is not up front with it, that's an entirely different story, of course.

The shipping rate was not listed. This is from NY to Wisconsin and for a Marvel Masterworks book.

I've purchased many other Masterworks and gotten insured media mail for less than $5.

My suspicion is that the seller was irritated that an ostensibly $50 book sold for only $11 and is now trying to make up some of the difference.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Here's a question: suppose the seller DID disclose that shipping would be $17.95, plus required $3.95 insurance. It's not a trick--he includes it in the auction in the "payment details" section below the main text. I just fail to notice it and buy the book.

Now, it's MY fault I didn't see it. But OTOH, it's insane that he's charging this much, which suggests a "postage profit" motive on his part.

How would you handle the feedback? It's hard to justify complaining about something that he DID disclose but I just didnt notice, and yet it's so preposterous.

Here's a question: suppose the seller DID disclose that shipping would be $17.95, plus required $3.95 insurance. It's not a trick--he includes it in the auction in the "payment details" section below the main text. I just fail to notice it and buy the book.

Now, it's MY fault I didn't see it. But OTOH, it's insane that he's charging this much, which suggests a "postage profit" motive on his part.

How would you handle the feedback? It's hard to justify complaining about something that he DID disclose but I just didnt notice, and yet it's so preposterous.

Just because a seller discloses that they are going to rip you off.....doesn't mean that it's okay.

Finish the deal and let the seller know privately you think the shipping charge is ridiculous and you won't consider bidding on their future auctions. Hopefully the seller has enough business sense to know that losing customers is bad

For the feedback, assuming you paid $17.95 and 3.95 insurance, if the packing/shipping were done well enough to at least come close to justifying the price you paid maybe leave a positive or neutral noting the high cost. If the seller obviously pocketed the lion's share of the cost and the book shows up in a recycled bubble wrap envelope with $3.20 as the cost of postage and no insurance, neg the loser.

dave h

The shipping rate was not listed. This is from NY to Wisconsin and for a Marvel Masterworks book.

I've purchased many other Masterworks and gotten insured media mail for less than $5.

My suspicion is that the seller was irritated that an ostensibly $50 book sold for only $11 and is now trying to make up some of the difference.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

What I suggest is that you wait until the package arrives and see how much the seller paid for postage. If it is $7, then you have a case to present to him/her and can easily work things out. I've done this a few times and the seller was more than cooperative. hi.gif

Yeah, it's not like the price still isn't good. Just when shipping is more than the item... comes as a bit of a shock (since I usually eat shipping costs to some degree so as not to stiff folks).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Just another thought ... If you cannot work something out with the seller, you can set an email reminder for yourself, and on the 90th day after the auction closed, go in and leave negative feedback. If you time this right, you can get away with leaving your neg feedback before the seller realizes its been done, and by the time they notice, the 90 days is over with and they cannot retaliate.

I have done this 2 times before in the past, and have gotten nasty emails from one of the sellers for doing so, but the seller just wouldnt work with me. Much better to leave the negative feedback warning for those in the future than worry about your own feedback getting bumped up one positive,

I bought a piece of art "1 page" from spiderwebart on ebay they charged me 12 dollars U.S. for shipping. When I received it the price on the tube was $1.85, also had to pay 15.00 Canadian for PST and GST and handling. All for a 40 dollar item. 893frustrated.gif

I bought a piece of art "1 page" from spiderwebart on ebay they charged me 12 dollars U.S. for shipping. When I received it the price on the tube was $1.85, also had to pay 15.00 Canadian for PST and GST and handling. All for a 40 dollar item. 893frustrated.gif

Did you contact the seller about the excess shipping charges?

Not yet, I just picked it up last night and was debating on what to say. I understand that in U.S. you have to wait in longer lines to ship to Canada, etc. I don't mind paying a handling fee but, this seems a little high.

Not yet, I just picked it up last night and was debating on what to say. I understand that in U.S. you have to wait in longer lines to ship to Canada, etc. I don't mind paying a handling fee but, this seems a little high.

$10 overcharge is too much. Don't hesitate, contact him in a nice manner.